Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need a CMS recommendation
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need a CMS recommendation

gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
edited September 2012 in General

Hello

I want to set up a personal site. This site should include some overview over different projects, personal information, maybe one or two blogs etc. In addition there should be a dedicated "section" for each project with some pages of information.

What is a good CMS to realise this? I have considered Wordpress but every Wordpress site looks more or less the same and i don't want that.

I have heard of Drupal but is it rather easy (without too much hacking in PHP/HTML/CSS) possible to set it up? And will it run on a LEB?

Thanks for any recommendation :)

Comments

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited September 2012

Wordpress don't all look the same, themeforest.net has a wide range of WP styles that look different and it's very easy to customise / make your own

I don't know too much about Drupal but from looking at coding prices, PSD to Drupal cost almost double/triple then Wordpress so it must be more advanced

• WordPress FTW. Drupal can be a waste of time unless you know it really well, you will curse the day you where born on after a month into your project. Drupal is like a mine field, just when you think it works it blows up in your face. It's also a resource hog.

• joomla/modx.

• Wordpress #1 !

Drupal is fucking awesome, but Wordpress is easier and less resources :)

• Dont waste your time on other CMS go for Wordpress, + if you have enough knowledge you can do something pretty awesome if you can design it and code it your self :) ;)

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited September 2012

@gsrdgrdghd said: I have heard of Drupal but is it rather easy (without too much hacking in PHP/HTML/CSS) possible to set it up?

First time it will take some time to find/set up everything but once you finish it you will be able to do it next time very fast + you will know more what you want and what modules to chose. Maybe... just try it to see if this is it.
    I use it for plenty sites and each of them looks different. From simple, clean blogs to feature rich communities with forums and all other stuff.

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited September 2012

I tried to do what i described in WordPress but it ended up looking really bad. And i'm not really fond of hacking around in the theme files because the changes get overwritten when i update the theme and so on. I don't think Wordpress and I are ever gonna become friends :D

Is there actually a CMS with a WYSIWYG theme editor/builder?

I'll also look into Joomla and e107.

@Spirit will Drupal run properly on a LEB (128mb)?

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited September 2012

@gsrdgrdghd said: @Spirit will Drupal run properly on a LEB (128mb)?

I don't run it at 128mb vps but I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work as long you don't overload it with too many modules (but you don't plan to use it for video streaming or something like that anyway).
    So far I didn't have any issue with around 6 or 7 Drupal (D7) installations at 512mb vps. (enabled most core modules + around 10 third party modules).

Some details from System requirements:

"PHP memory requirements can vary significantly depending on your use of modules. While 16 MB may be sufficient for a default Drupal 6 installation and 30 MB may be sufficient for a default Drupal 7 installation, a production site with a number of commonly used modules enabled (CCK, Views etc.) could require 64 MB or more. Some installations may require much more, especially with media-rich implementations. If you are using a hosting service it is important to verify that your host can provide sufficient memory for the set of modules you are deploying or may deploy in the future."

• WordPress.

You can use some theme framework stuff to easily make your site look different -- and great. Reverie comes to mind.

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited September 2012

Also, PHP 5.4 introduces some significant memory-saving compared to earlier versions.

Oops... this was in reference to comments by @gsrdgrdghd and @Spirit re. memory usage :)

• Wordpress! Especially if this is you're first run at using a CMS