Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner Bidding Auctions - Share Experience - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner Bidding Auctions - Share Experience

2»

Comments

• earlearl Member
    edited April 2015

@Lee said:

I never sign up under a business name for personal services, I am in the UK(mainland) and Always use my own name, I use an offshore trust company in Guernsey for all business purposes but that is unrelated.

Hmm..now you make me wonder.. Actually I dont think I had to get verified when I signed up at OVH in BHS

• ATHKATHK Member

@earl said:
    Lee said:

I have twice for kimsufi FR and US...

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited April 2015

@sumo said:
    US based and ordering near home/business?

If they know you and trust you enough, some hosts basically skip all that nonsense.

If you signup with your @gmail email, don't expect them to trust you.

@Lee did you signup with your business email?

Thanked by 1earl
  • LeeLee Veteran

Traffic said: @Lee did you signup with your business email?

No, although I do use my standard email which is [email protected], been using it for 15 years or thereabouts.

Guess some people are just more suspicious than others.

Thanked by 1earl
  • earlearl Member
    edited April 2015

@ATHK said:
    I have twice for kimsufi FR and US...

Yes, OVH.ie I had to do twice as well..

I'm Canada so maybe my phone # was enough for BHS? I don't recall online.net asking for validation either..

The thing with Hetzner is.. they made a point to not blank out your date of birth. You can actually access a lot of services with just the birth date and postal code..

I actually offered to send my drivers license since the documents that I used for OVH was not acceptable for them, but I changed my mind after reading a few reviews about Hetzner and their validation process.

• last times has order
    but 2x3000G very old, 80000+hours
    3 day one disk has error and repair give old disk

• earlearl Member

Maybe that's the trick.. use custom email!

Thanked by 1Traffic
  • Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

Maybe I had no problems. I just send them My National ID Card, they gladly approved it.

• @comXyz Sorry it's already gone

• @4n0nx said:
    Desktop hardware, old hardware, need to send an ID scan, auctioned servers apparently have to be installed over command line (?), no ddos protection at all, no telephone support for <49EUR servers, lower ticket priority for cheap servers, "only" 20TB bandwidth, really anal about torrenting (or so I have heard)...

AS a new purchaser for Hetzner Let me answer almost all of this:

1. Hardware: It's not enterprise, it's not complete junk either. I would consider this low/mid tier but you can get some decent systems for relatively little per month. The setup is astoundingly deep and you can customize the crap out of your system. If you flux it up you can easily rebuild via their command line scripts. Best setup I've seen so far.

2. ID Scan/CC Scan: They want to make sure you are who you say you are. This is no different than entering your info into a site like paypal linked to your bank account.

3. DDOS: Haven't run into this problem.

4. Support: They seem decent for German hours, if you are in the US you have to catch them early in the day

5. Price: I got in at $25/mo for a system that normally goes for $50-75/mo on here. I know what I am getting and my expectations have been set accordingly.

6. 20TB 'limit': that's almost 1TB per day. Do you have any idea how much traffic you need to do to reach 1TB every single day? A metric CrapTon. I'm on a full 1gbps link and I can't saturate this thing at all

7. Torrenting: Depends on what you are torrenting. Really hasn't bothered me in the slightest.

I mainly have not gotten one because of the ID scan, that is a big no-no..

It's your Driver's license or State ID. Unless you are doing nefarious crap with it there is no problem. Hetzer destroys your information after the first month, so they claim, they already have my name, address, credit card, now they have my face and Driver's License number. Whipdedoo.

If you are utterly paranoid and want pure stealth systems then you seek hosts that accept hushmail , tor routing, and bitcoins. That's the only way you'll be truly off the grid.

Me? I'll take a quad core server with 16GB RAM and 3TB hard drive for $25/mo on a 1gbps link and hand them my credit card and ID.

Thanked by 1Bochi
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited April 2015

earl said: Maybe that's the trick.. use custom email!

Could be, although when I signed up with BuyVM the very first time the fuckers marked me as fraud :P Because the whois on my email domain was private.

• How does the cancellation work if i exceeded 14 days? If it's 10 april and it says the closest cancel date is 26th of april, does this mean i won't be billed for may?

I ask because of Hetzner ToA wich says :

"The cancellation period for an auction server is one month maximum".

• LeeLee Veteran

The cancellation period is one month after your 14 days is up. So within the control panel you can return the server at any time during the first 14 days using the option available and that is it.

• earlearl Member
    edited April 2015

@Lee said:

Guess you can't win them all..

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

Churchill said: ID Scan/CC Scan: They want to make sure you are who you say you are. This is no different than entering your info into a site like paypal linked to your bank account.

You are missing the point: I have never had to scan my ID for anything to verify my identity, which I always did without complaining - because it was via non retarded methods.

Churchill said: It's your Driver's license or State ID. Unless you are doing nefarious crap with it there is no problem. Hetzer destroys your information after the first month, so they claim, they already have my name, address, credit card, now they have my face and Driver's License number. Whipdedoo.

There is a problem, because they will just get hacked again and hackers will make fake IDs with my information. (as in ID number and photo)

Churchill said: If you are utterly paranoid and want pure stealth systems then you seek hosts that accept hushmail , tor routing, and bitcoins. That's the only way you'll be truly off the grid.

That has nothing to do with being paranoid - Hetzner has been hacked before and customer data was copied. It may even be illegal to ask for an ID scan in Germany, just no one has sued Hetzner yet. Plus that's what I did. Any other German hosting provider does not require ID.

So yeah, in case you still did not get it: It is not necessary to scan your ID to verify your identity, especially not as a German in Germany.

• @4n0nx how about hiding some information before sending your ID photo to them?

Almost all information include my picture, my ID number was hidden 50%, and they're OK with it. As long as the name you used to register is matched with the name on the ID

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • sumosumo Member

@Traffic said:
    If they know you and trust you enough, some hosts basically skip all that nonsense.

If you signup with your gmail email, don't expect them to trust you.

Lee did you signup with your business email?

I've signed up with a maybe a dozen or two hosts, all for business purpose, with non-generic email domains. Most have basic verification systems, some have a few hoops to jump through, some are just impossible to deal with.