Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mail Server VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Mail Server VPS

TheGameTheGame Member
edited April 2015 in Requests

Hello everyone i have been a lurker for a very long time and today I decided on joining.

My question is I need a VPS that allows a mail server for a gaming community we currently have 50 - 70 users and would be rolling out emails slowly depending on the need/want.

What im looking for is:

1. A VPS that allows a linux ran mail server

2. A annual price plan ( i wanna try to stay below 100 per year for now - will upgrade if needed )

As far as specs go i am unsure of the recommended requirements of a mail server, so if anyone wants to speak up on that point i would love to learn.

Edit: I do live in the USA on the East Coast.

Comments

• Any stipulations on a mail server, or how many you can send out per day etc?

• I found there ToS and listen is

Mass mail / SPAM / SPAM Bots

Now ofcourse SPAM and SPAM Bots will not be used but there will be times where i will need to send 50 - 70 emails to all members. I don't know if that is considered spam or not so i will need to check.

Thanked by 1gestiondbi
  • 50-70 emails its not a problem. You can sign up to every host.

Thanked by 1TheGame
  • @BuyAds said:
    50-70 emails its not a problem. You can sign up to every host.

Now i foresee my per day outgoing mail to exceed 600, if that is still not a issue with most hosts them awesome =D

• @TheGame said:
    I found there ToS and listen is

Now ofcourse SPAM and SPAM Bots will not be used but there will be times where i will need to send 50 - 70 emails to all members. I don't know if that is considered spam or not so i will need to check.

That would be fine as long as its not spam

Thanked by 1gestiondbi
  • You can consider Mandrillapp as well for transactional emails, it works great!

• @TheGame said:
    Now i foresee my per day outgoing mail to exceed 600, if that is still not a issue with most hosts them awesome =D

I got one IP listed as spam after 3 days testing the notifications code, it only sent emails to my 3 email addresses, around 200 emails per day.

Thanked by 1TheGame
  • @comXyz said:
    I got one IP listed as spam after 3 days testing the notifications code, it only sent emails to my 3 email addresses, around 200 emails per day.

Really ummm thats not good at all, Thats one main reason im asking around to see how strict or laid-back some VPS are in reference to emails

• I second using a transactional email provider. Mail isnt hard to do on your own, but its also easy for things to go wrong very quietly.

Mandrill, mailgun, and sendgrid are all great options. I use mailgun which gives you 10,000 emails a month for free.

Thanked by 1TheGame
  • @DeftNerd said:
    I second using a transactional email provider. Mail isnt hard to do on your own, but its also easy for things to go wrong very quietly.

Mandrill, mailgun, and sendgrid are all great options. I use mailgun which gives you 10,000 emails a month for free.

Now although im not new to VPS's nor networking in general, I am very new to the world of setting up email. So what exactly are these providers for "transactional emails"?

I apologize for my noob-like questions ha!

• @TheGame I would recommend not sending mail directly from your server. Too easy to get blacklisted; too hard to unlist IPs.

There are very inexpensive means to sell email. such as Amazon SES. Perhaps they would suit you better.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • @TheGame said:
    I apologize for my noob-like questions ha!

They provide an email sending service for you via SMTP and their API. Check out Mandrilapp, mailgun, sendgrid, amazon ses, etc

• @Master_Bo said:
    TheGame I would recommend not sending mail directly from your server. Too easy to get blacklisted; too hard to unlist IPs.

There are very inexpensive means to sell email. such as Amazon SES. Perhaps they would suit you better.

Oh i didnt think about the blacklist portion of the task. I did some reading and i think i need more than a transactional service I would like something to where emails can be send back and forth when critical events happen and they cannot be reached by other methods!

• You can still receive. See https://documentation.mailgun.com/quickstart-receiving.html#add-receiving-mx-records (mailgun), http://help.mandrill.com/entries/21699367-Inbound-Email-Processing-Overview (mandrill).

Otherwise, just grab something like MxRoute to receive, and use a transactional email provider to send

Thanked by 1TheGame
  • @StartledPhoenix said:
    You can still receive. See https://documentation.mailgun.com/quickstart-receiving.html#add-receiving-mx-records (mailgun), http://help.mandrill.com/entries/21699367-Inbound-Email-Processing-Overview (mandrill).

Otherwise, just grab something like MxRoute to receive, and use a transactional email provider to send

um if thats the case maybe a VPS isn't what i need thanks for the info. Last question it seems as if mailgun, mandrill and Amazon offer the same solution anyone recommend one over the other? if so why?

• comXyzcomXyz Member
    edited April 2015

@TheGame said:
    um if thats the case maybe a VPS isn't what i need thanks for the info. Last question it seems as if mailgun, mandrill and Amazon offer the same solution anyone recommend one over the other? if so why?

I used all 3 of them, and they're all good IMO. Right now I only use Mandrill to send mass emails to subscribed users.

• @comXyz said:
    I used all 3 of them, and they're all good IMO. Right now I only use Mandrill to send mass emails to subscribed users.

sounds good. Thanks to everyone for all there help

• Before farming out your users' outgoing mail to a transactional mail provider like Mandrill, have a read at http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/49263/postfix-mandrill-bounce-notifications

It's easy to setup Mandrill, but when a user doesn't know that a message was not delivered, you have a problem.

TheGame said: As far as specs go i am unsure of the recommended requirements of a mail server

The single largest memory/cpu resource hog on a mailserver is virus scanning.

The second largest hog is spam detection.

The requirements of a mail server depend largely on how you deal with those services.

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

@TheGame said:
    I found there ToS and listen is

Hi,

This number is okay, as long it's not SPAM. If you want, we can discuss about if via Skype or PM.

Regards, David.

• @Projectpop said:
    You can consider Mandrillapp as well for transactional emails, it works great!

Sendy.co is way cheaper and works great

• tommytommy Member

use Mandrill it's great, so you can read all outgoing email :P in Mandrill dashboard and add tracking to all outgoing email so you know when someone open (read) your email.

For personal email that's okay, but when you give service for people don't do that. Just ignore other suggestion, and use VPS instead. lol

1-2 GB memory should enough to handle your mail server.

• I can Intel Xeon X5560 4GB RAM 100GB Port 1Gigabits $89.00 Year Datacenter : LA

• So after doing some research, i have decided that im going to go the VPS route. Yes i might have more issues doing this but the way i look at it with a VPS i have a better understanding of a linux terminal that other options mentioned.

I have looked over the offers posted here and im thinking about buying one today, before i do though does anyone else recommend any other host?

• When choosing VPS, I recommend you check the LEB top provider poll first.

http://lowendbox.com/?s=poll

• @msg7086 said:
    When choosing VPS, I recommend you check the LEB top provider poll first.

http://lowendbox.com/?s=poll

Oh i saw, alot of great providers. I just didnt know if for a mail server there was a provider that other people have had a good experience with.

• @TheGame said:

A vps can be used for every possible way (of course legal ways

You can just pick one and shot them a pre-sale ticket, I'm sure they can do something for you.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

You could also use a free email provider for occasional 50 mails.. not sure

• belinikbelinik Member
    edited April 2015

mailserver is one of the more thing to maintain, unlike a gameserver. I would advise against using a vps unless you are 100% sure that you know what are you doing.

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited April 2015

TheGame said: So after doing some research, i have decided that im going to go the VPS route. Yes i might have more issues doing this but the way i look at it with a VPS i have a better understanding of a linux terminal that other options mentioned.

Go for it... just be sure to focus on the security of your mail service -- such as ensuring it's not an open relay. There are ways of testing it, starting with http://mxtoolbox.com/diagnostic.aspx

I have looked over the offers posted here and im thinking about buying one today, before i do though does anyone else recommend any other host?

Atlantic.net is a established & reputable company - $5/month for a 512MB KVM. In eastern North America you have a choice of Florida, US or Toronto, CA.

Thanked by 1vimalware