Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How effective is geo-location fraud detection?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How effective is geo-location fraud detection?

Hiya all,

What do you think? Personally, I do not find it that effective with lotsa false positives, like for instance if I'm in China and use a credit card from US or other location to pay online, it'll be deemed fraudulent I guess, coz my IP would be in China and not US.

Similar would be the case if I registered an account online from China when I'm originally from else where, right?

Your views please?

Comments

• Its shockingly sh*t.

I use VPN everywhere either DE or FR I dislike routing traffic via my own country (UK) I get stopped at every host that has maxmind enabled. Its f*cking annoying.

• I got maxmind errors a lot from the UK also when buying VPS :(

Manual order checking & refund fraud is the best if you have the time - as well as fraudrecord!

Thanked by 1century1stop
  • @century1stop said:
    Hiya all,

What do you think? Personally, I do not find it that effective with lotsa false positives, like for instance if I'm in China and use a credit card from US or other location to pay online, it'll be deemed fraudulent I guess, coz my IP would be in China and not US.

Similar would be the case if I registered an account online from China when I'm originally from else where, right?

Your views please?

Horrible. With the amount of proxies in the world that are not detected as proxies officially (private ones), available in almost every city with internet, then on top of that things like Cloudflare you can spoof your IP and it passes a fake IP directly to the site, and much more, it's almost impossible to get an accurate fraud or not detection. I'm personally detected as fraud multiple times, but that is because I use my business address and name, so they have to review it manually, because Maxmind doesn't co-operate.

Thanked by 1century1stop
  • well no +ve feedback thus far, wonder if there are any geo-location provider reps around? should be able to give us all an insight into this "fraud" mechanism....

• I wouldn't use it. I didn't pass once because my ISP is in Auckland and my hometown is Hamilton (which is a 2 hour drive away).

Thanked by 1century1stop
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Most fraud detection systems are usually crap, I get trapped once in a while and it's just stupid. All what's needed for any fraudster to bypass an automated check is a clean SOCKS near the submitted billing details and that's it.

A basic manual verification by the provider could be more effective, but then you need to forget instant setup, if that's your thing.

Thanked by 1century1stop