Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2.4 GHz band - Wi-Fi routers - question?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

2.4 GHz band - Wi-Fi routers - question?

We have 17 wireless devices. We have (2) 2.4 GHz band - Wi-Fi routers.

Each of these 2.4 GHz band - Wi-Fi router can handle up to 20 wireless devices.

Question:

Should I connect all 17 wireless devices to 1 router?

Or

Should I connect 8 wireless devices to 1 router and other 9 wireless devices to second router?

Remember 2 routers only have 2.4 GHz band. No 5 GHz.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320158

Comments

• I think it will be to much for that one router. But also depends on the usage.

• Rhys_quadexRhys_quadex Member
    edited April 2015

I presume that the wireless devices will be things like phones and laptops, you could always designate 1 of the 2 routers as your main ROUTER(internet, DHCP etc) and have the second wifi router bridge off it, give both of the routers same SSID's and passwords but different channels so that your devices will connect to whichever provides the best signal.

• ChuckChuck Member

Most of these wireless devices will do Streaming media (Netflix, youtube, iTunes, Pandora, Spotify.)

• ChuckChuck Member

If 1 router can't handle 17 wireless devices.

Should I connect 8 wireless devices to 1 router and other 9 wireless devices to second router?

These devices will have a fixed position. They will be in a same room.

Another question:

Should I let 2 wireless routers sit next to each other or far away? I'm thinking to put all 17 devices and 2 routers on a shelving unit.

2.4 GHz band is what I worry. It's too crowded?

• Chuck said: If 1 router can't handle 17 wireless devices.

Theoretically, most routers can handle 20 wireless devices (some of them have a cap at 16 connections, though). But in reality, you will face problems expecially if you will use most of your connections for heavy duty like video streaming.
    It would be best to split the usage between 2 routers and do a manual config to use different channel to each one, for better behavior.
    What internet connection will you be using? If you use a simple adsl2+ for 17 devices with most of them downloading streaming content, then, you will face problems even if you use 17 different routers.
    As of my experience, 10-15Mbps download with 1Mbps upload that offer an average dsl connection, cannot handle properly more than 3-4 simultaneously receiving of streaming content.

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • ChuckChuck Member
    edited April 2015

100Mbps download.

• I guess this speed is OK :-)

Use 2 routers if you can. Also, if you have access to a repeater or bridge router, do a scan to see what other wifi's are near you, and use to your home wireless network the less used channels (if lower channels, e.g. 1-4 are free or not so used, prefer them than higher channels)

• The best thing to do would be to use 2 separate APs. You can use this app if you have android https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en to see the open frequencies around

Thanked by 4jvnadr netomx Chuck earl
  • Spencer said: You can use this app if you have android https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en to see the open frequencies around

Nice app! I usually use my ubiquity panel, but this is easier!

• YKMYKM Member

If you have more than one then I would suggest you mesh them, else you get dropouts as they connect from one to another etc.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@YKM said:
    If you have more than one then I would suggest you mesh them, else you get dropouts as they connect from one to another etc.

Oh no, don't do it, you'll make a bottleneck on the WiFi.

Thanked by 2Chuck earl
  • netomx said: Oh no, don't do it, you'll make a bottleneck on the WiFi.

^^ This. Connect the two routers via ethernet (not the second as a wifi repeater) and use them as two different wifi spots. Connect your devices to either one or the other wifi spot.

Thanked by 2Chuck netomx
  • What I would do is have 2 with the same name and security, different channel but at different locations - this way the client will connect to the closest one.

Remember to disable DHCP on one and check the Ip configuration is ok.

Don't believe the claimed number of clients...

Thanked by 3netomx Chuck earl
  • Why are u still using 2.4g when u can have dual band these days that run up to a max combined speed of 7Gbps?

• @linuxthefish said:
    What I would do is have 2 with the same name and security, different channel but at different locations - this way the client will connect to the closest one.

2 votes for this option :P

Thanked by 1netomx
  • ChuckChuck Member
    edited April 2015

These devices will have a fixed position. They will be in a same room. 17 of them don't have Ethernet port. That's why I need to use wireless router.

Another question:

This neighbor's yard is kinda big. I don't think I will get interference at 2.4 GHz from my neighbor's wifi.

Total 11 channels for 2.4 GHz. What channels should I use for these 2 wireless router? Assume that there are no interference with neighbor's wifi.

Remember I have microwave oven, cordless phone, Bluetooth devices.

To the person asking why I still use 2.4 GHz because all 17 devices don't have 5 GHz Wi-Fi. What is the point of paying more for dual-band router?

• Chuck said: Total 11 channels for 2.4 GHz. What channels should I use for these 2 wireless router? Assume that there are no interference with neighbor's wifi.

1, 6 and 11 are the ones that don't overlap with each other on 22MHz.

• linuxthefish said: Remember to disable DHCP on one and check the Ip configuration is ok.

Yes, DHCP should be enabled in only one router because the second will take ip from the first (let's say master and slave)!
    Same name and password is a handy solution for connecting in the closest device, but this could lead to a problem that OP want to solve by using two routers. If most of the devices are closer to one of the two routers, then the first router will be overloaded the same time the second will be empty. The solution to this is to determine the maximum nubmer of wi-fi connections to each of the router at, let's say, 8 (if our total devices are 16).

Chuck said: Total 11 channels for 2.4 GHz. What channels should I use for these 2 wireless router? Assume that there are no interference with neighbor's wifi.

linuxthefish said: 1, 6 and 11 are the ones that don't overlap with each other on 22MHz.

This is the table that shows each channel's frequency:

Channel Number/ Lower Frequency / Center Frequency / Upper Frequency
    1 2401 2412 2423
    2 2404 2417 2428
    3 2411 2422 2433
    4 2416 2427 2438
    5 2421 2432 2443
    6 2426 2437 2448
    7 2431 2442 2453
    8 2436 2447 2458
    9 2441 2452 2463
    10 2451 2457 2468
    11 2451 2462 2473
    12 2456 2467 2478
    13 2461 2472 2483
    14 2473 2484 2495

Chuck said: To person asking why I still use 2.4 GHz because all 17 devices don't have 5 GHz Wi-Fi. What is the point of paying more for dual-band router?

5Ghz router would be usefull IMHO for long-distance connections (e.g. with an ubiquity extender to cover 5-10Km distance in an urban area with a lot of wifis). 5Ghz wifi in a single home or building, would be too much - not needed.
    The big majority of routers cannot cover efficiently more than 2-3 rooms, so, even if 2-3 neigbours had routers in the excact same frequency, that should not affect dramatically the much closer devices you have. Of course, if you live in a crowded place and there are thousands of wifi in a discoverable area, then, you should look for the less used channels to minimize interferences.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

From my experience. Channel 6 and 11 don't overlap with a microwave

• @linuxthefish said:
    What I would do is have 2 with the same name and security, different channel but at different locations - this way the client will connect to the closest one.

Another vote for this option. In fact, this is how I run my wireless network at home; works fantastic.

Also, as others have pointed out: Make sure you check which channels are most clear. Try to make your two channels as far apart as possible (e.g. 1 and 11) but take into consideration which channels your neighbours are using.

Thanked by 2Chuck netomx
  • Lots of good advice here. My 2 cents.

I'm not sure how you can quantify how many clients an AP can handle. Are all 17 clients active at the same time? Are they all stationary devices that will not move around?

If your residence (I assume we are talking about a residence) is large or if it has multiple floors, I would suggest moving the AP's away from each other to maximize coverage and minimize interference of the radios. The second AP would either be a wireless extender, or better yet connected via ethernet to the main router/AP.

First, walk around using the Wifi Analyzer program to see what other channels are being used by neighbors. Try to find a clear channel on 1,6,or 11. Don't use any of the other channels. If none of those channels are clear, pick one that has the fewest competing AP's or the weakest competing signals.

Next, optimize the location of the first AP. General rule of thumb is that an AP is much like a radio tower. You want it centrally located and as high as possible. Its entirely possible that once you position the single AP optimally, it will serve all of your wireless clients needs. (Note, I have a 2800 sq ft 2 story home with at least 20 wireless devices using a Ubiquiti AP-N 2.4 with no issues) With the primary AP installed, once again walk around using the Wifi Analyzer program. Are there any low signal area's of the residence? Maybe a basement, or other room that doesn't get full coverage. Try and locate the second AP near this weak area to provide additional coverage.

I like to use different SSID's for each AP. If your main AP is called Home, call the second one Home_ext or something like that. Then make sure all devices can connect to both AP's and let them decide which one to connect to depending on signal strength at their current (and likely ever changing) location.

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • Die_QuelleDie_Quelle Member
    edited April 2015

@linuxthefish said:

Theoretically this works well, but windows is not good a managing it. Especially if the access points are placed like this for example:

if the star is the client.

• Die_Quelle said: Theoretically this works well, but windows is not good a managing it.

Yeah often I am standing next to one AP but still connected to the other with 1 bar, but touch wood it works for the most part...

Thanked by 1netomx
  • NomadNomad Member

For Windows, check inSSIDer 4 by MetaGeek

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • earlearl Member
    edited April 2015

NVM

• ChuckChuck Member
    edited April 2015

^^ this is not about the wifi range. This is about the 2.4 GHz band and 17 wireless devices in 1 room. The size is around a regular Living Room.

• earlearl Member

@Chuck said:
    ^^ this is not about the wifi range. This is about the 2.4 GHz band and 17 wireless devices in 1 room.

I apologize If you feel my post may have derailed your thread..

No where in your opening post did you mentioned that this was for 1 room.. I thought you were touching on the subject of getting better performance on your wifi / router and my suggestion of adding a $7 antenna would apply.

I have removed my post as you seem to have taken offense to it..

Gheez.. some folks need to learn to take it easy..

Thanked by 1Chuck