Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hosted vs self hosted monitoring - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hosted vs self hosted monitoring

2»

Comments

• raindog308 said: And we all do.

amen...

• jhjh Member

If you want a self-hosted one, www.amon.cx is very good, but I also think there's a good argument to let someone else host and deal with monitoring given how complicated it can be to do it well.

• jh said: www.amon.cx

My only gripe with Amon is that it can't handle agentless uptime monitoring.

Just simple ICMP/Port monitoring would suffice in some instances

• Varies on what you want with it, do you want global availability and latency checking?

If it's for SNMP and the likes, then yes have a master sitting somewhere between all your locations, or close to you. Preferably one with SMS / PUSH Notification alerts too!

• i like to use both hosted and self-hosted there are some machines and work i do that i will always use hosted solutions i don't care about privacy and the data like monitoring my sites uptime or LEB vps or some customer specifically asks me to use a site or a service

but at the same time i use self hosted solutions for monitoring my customers machines and vps i can't knowing put my customers data in others hand they have taken big trust on me to manage their data so i have to at least try to protect it

and this goes for email hosting,monitoring,DNS(recursive name server) private for my customers, these are used in their work places

• @raindog308 said:
    Let's get real: people like self-hosted because it's free.

You mean, LETers like self-hosted because it gives them an excuse to buy another LEB which they don't need :P

Thanked by 2raindog308 Junkless
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@hostnoob said:
    You mean, LETers like self-hosted because it gives them an excuse to buy another LEB which they don't need :P

yep :)

And of course all thise unneeded LEBs must be monitored.

Thanked by 2hostnoob Junkless
  • And backed up. And these new backup boxed also need to backed up.

So which was first? The backup box or the box needing backup?(Looking at chickens and egg argument here).

raindog308 said: LEBs must be monitored.

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • @GM2015 said:
    And backed up. And these new backup boxed also need to backed up.

So which was first? The backup box or the box needing backup?(Looking at chickens and egg argument here).

Actually, no chicken or egg argument here. The box needing backup was first ;)

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • No, the first computer was used to backup offline stuff and compute other stuff. See the conundrum? We need some expert people here.

aglodek said: Actually, no chicken or egg argument here. The box needing backup was first ;)

• For years, Pingdom offered a fantastic hosted monitoring plan that's completely free. Too bad they're getting rid of it at the end of the month.

• VitaVita Member
    edited January 2016

I run a self hosted Observium on 256mb ram OpenVZ, and I was satisfied with it. They broke something in the newest community version so the servers won't display properly in the menu by locations. I'm very frustrated by this, maybe it's my misconfiguration or something but the menu always worked out of the box for me, and I can't find the fix for it.

Will try librenms, heard it's a good fork of Observium.

To answer the OP's question. I personally don't mind if it's not self hosted if it is free, as long as I can lock the snmp answers to the specified IP, so that skids don't use it for amplification.