Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

www.verelox.com accused of using fake SSD ? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

www.verelox.com accused of using fake SSD ?

13»

Comments

• @TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    how?

Unless you have access to the hardware itself and the experience to know/tell the difference, you simply would not know.

The average consumer that doesn't know any better will just take it at face value and assume an advertised SSD plan is in fact using SSD's.

Also, some providers do caching with SSD's and claim to use pure SSD's, so there is definitely some "cheating" either way you look at it.

• @ItsChrisG with RamNode you do can get >=1GB/s. I already reached that (multiple times) with a KVM Premium VPS in NL. And no, I was not writing a tiny file when doing that test. Sure such speeds are pretty impressive but how e.g. @Amitz already wrote, not really necessary for most users. Some hundreds of MB/s are normally absolutely enough.

• @HostMantis said:
    I'm pretty sure providers claiming to use SSD, but actually using HDD is a lot more common than we think it is.

I'm pretty sure HostMantis claiming to use HDD, but actually using pure SSD to bring best performance to customers.

Thanked by 24n0nx netomx
  • @HostMantis said:

The whole caching idea defeats the world famous DD test for writing. Same with OVZ ploop.

• @mayer22 did the moose force you to be quiet now?

• @doughmanes said:
    mayer22 did the moose force you to be quiet now?

Thanked by 1KwiceroLTD
  • akzakz Member

guess op got offended by others telling him the truth and left. Guess he was right about one thing; the truth hurts.

Thanked by 2netomx Pwner
  • VNKenVNKen Member
    edited April 2015

@Verelox said:
    Responding as we were mentioned:

If you have really opened a ticket, please post the ticket number if that's the case and we'll be happy to respond.

Just curious - are you just using a single SSD for your nodes, or an actual RAID? For all that it is worth, ~150MBps is slow, as you admitted (as compared to a very basic RAID 10 setup anyway; ~150MBps is reasonable in itself), but it seems slower than even what we are used to even with an abusive user on a node.

• @VNKen said:
    Just curious - are you just using a single SSD for your nodes, or an actual RAID? For all that it is worth, ~150MBps is slow, as you admitted (as compared to a very basic RAID 10 setup anyway; ~150MBps is reasonable in itself), but it seems slower than even what we are used to even with an abusive user on a node.

The main server has 3 SSD drives, 2 are used for hosting purposes and the other one is used to store the images as well as ISOs and etc. We have looked through "iotop" and couldn't find any processes using the IO heavily - in fact, there's only one process using the IO which appears within 5-6 seconds and it uses it by a percentage of 0.05% ~ 0.5%. The node is not even heavily populated at all as there's only around 4 machines on the node.

The problem however resides in the hardware as it appears and the server's limitations, but we are planning to move to a new node very soon which provides a higher I/O speed (~700Mb/s - 800Mb/s) - we will also move everyone on the old node free of charge, but would notify them first before doing so.

We shouldn't have provided this service in the first place due to the low I/O speed, but that's why we enabled free evaluations of the service so that the user would try and see themselves how it would work before taking any decision. We try to provide the best services, but resources are expensive and we are just a growing host.

On a side note, we are really thankful for everyone who contributed to this thread and for the encouragement!

• MunMun Member

;D can I have a free vps PLEASE :D

Thanked by 1KwiceroLTD
  • Verelox said: On a side note, we are really thankful for everyone who contributed to this thread and for the encouragement!

No more unlimited bandwidth :(

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2015

@Verelox excellent response!

• HostNunHostNun Member
    edited April 2015

@Verelox said:

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited April 2015

@mayer22 If it's full virtualization the host platform might be emulating HDD over an actual SSD, therefore the one - zero test might be totally misleading.

• Master_BoMaster_Bo Member
    edited April 2015

@Verelox I appreciate your calm and weighed response. I wish more providers behaved like that.

@mayer22 Time to admit your were under emotions and came with wrong assumptions. I assume the case is fully handled.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @mikho @Spirit maybe you should change the title of the thread. Provider gave answers and OP seem to quit posting after all the talking here! It is at least unfair this talk to be cached to search engines with this title...

Thanked by 3netomx Master_Bo Pwner
  • AmitzAmitz Member

We had some fun at least!

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    edited April 2015

giang said: It's a virtual hard drive...

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

guess this has run its course and will be closed.

This discussion has been closed.