Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which one you would pick from this VPS list?. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which one you would pick from this VPS list?.

2»

Comments

• @comXyz said:
    100k visitors per month, I think it's better to get a small dedi from Kimsufi / Online.net

and if 50k?.

• @goodone said:
    and if 50k?.

I'm not sure about OpenVZ, because I only have one box for a very small blog.

My self-managed KVM running on my own old server can handle 2k visitors per day well.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited April 2015

comXyz said: 100k visitors per month, I think it's better to get a small dedi from Kimsufi / Online.net

Sometime it is better to use a good vps from a respected provider than a small dedicated for web hosting. A vps with 4-6GB memory and access to 4 cpu cores with ssd could serve fine a website with 100K visitors per month, if the server is optimized properly. Usually, a vps will be set in a powerful node with good cpu, raid10 etc. with XenHVM or KVM and that could cost 20-25$ per month, when a dedi in that range will be much less powerful and without raid...
    Only issue I see is the bandwidth: 100K visitors per month in a CMS website will maybe use more than 1TB of bandwidth and that will increase if OP will take at least daily off-site full backups.

Thanked by 1comXyz
  • @jvnadr said:
    Only issue I see is the bandwidth: 100K visitors per month in a CMS website will maybe use more than 1TB of bandwidth and that will increase if OP will take at least daily off-site full backups.

Can this be lowered by a CDN?.

• goodone said: Can this be lowered by a CDN?.

Yes. Even free cloudflare option can cache static images, js and staff. But remember that if you use a lot of free cloudflare traffic, they maybe suspend you and ask you for a paid subscription that is not cheap.
    In any case, it all depend on what traffic will your website structure will need to generate. A simple website can take 200-500kb to load, some bigger sites with a lot of content, pictures, flash/html5 etc can use over 3-5MB just for their first page.

• @jvnadr said:
    In any case, it all depend on what traffic will your website structure will need to generate. A simple website can take 200-500kb to load, some bigger sites with a lot of content, pictures, flash/html5 etc can use over 3-5MB just for their first page.

Thanks for your in detailed explanation. :)

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited April 2015

@goodone As I now see your budget, you could try the crissic plan with 2GB ram and 2GB swap. You should optimize the server though (use nginx instead of apache, cloudflare, caching etc.) and test for a few weeks if this size of vps fits your website. maybe you should buy a month subscription and if this works well for you, then, either you buy a yearly plan and move the site there or ask (before your initial buy) @skylarM if he can upgrade you to yearly with offer price after the first month.
    I have a joomla site in a crissic 512 plan with >2.5K visitors per day, using vestacp as control panel and daily backups. The load is always very low

• goodonegoodone Member
    edited April 2015

@jvnadr said:
    goodone As I now see your budget, you could try the crissic plan with 2GB ram and 2GB swap. You should optimize the server though (use nginx instead of apache, cloudflare, caching etc.) and test for a few weeks if this size of vps fits your website. maybe you should buy a month subscription and if this works well for you, then, either you buy a yearly plan and move the site there or ask (before your initial buy) skylarM if he can upgrade you to yearly with offer price after the first month.
    I have a joomla site in a crissic 512 plan with >2.5K visitors per day, using vestacp as control panel and daily backups. The load is always very low

Are you using default settings or ngix?.

Basically I can go with Apache only...

One thing that don't make me to take Crissic as they provide pure HHD. And I am afraid of the load. Already have one of server on HHD in a different company (Worst). And many people mentioned to get SSD/SSD Catch instead to be safe with disk i/o, which happenes from HHD. As in system load.....

Else I would really liked this plan of 2gb.

Do you face continuous down times from Crissic?. What is the uptime for your server and location?.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited April 2015

@goodone I do not have any noticable downtime with crissic neither problems with hdd. Maybe you will need to increase your budget from 40$ per year to meet expectation with ssd and plenty of ram+bandwidth. Ask here for a special from some respected providers (e.g. @AnthonySmith from Inception Hosting, Andrej from @Drserver, @Maounique from Prometeus (Xen)

Thanked by 2goodone drserver
  • goodonegoodone Member
    edited April 2015

@jvnadr said:
    goodone I do not have any noticable downtime with crissic neither problems with hdd. Maybe you will need to increase your budget from 40$ per year to meet expectation with ssd and plenty of ram+bandwidth. Ask here for a special from some respected providers (e.g. AnthonySmith from Inception Hosting, Andrej from Drserver, Maounique from Prometeus (Xen)

I have asked them ( @AnthonySmith , @Drserver , @Maounique) in pm to see what they can offer also for below 40$ per year. I will book for 2 year if package is good :) .

Thanks for the help~

• 100K visitors approx 2.5 visitors per min... any decent vps should be able to handle it easy... You DON'T need a dedi for this unless your site make significantly numerous writes per second

• BoltVM or Crissic

• goodonegoodone Member
    edited April 2015

@TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    Try AutoSnipe or joodle with http://evoburst.com

I will pass on them. I have a budgetVPS from evoburst to test purpose. Not so good. Downtime everyday......

• @goodone said:
    I will pass on them. I have a budgetVPS from evoburst to test purpose. Not so good. Downtime everyday......

Really? mine are fine. This evoburst brand is a more premium version of bvz anyway

• @TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    Really? mine are fine. This evoburst brand is a more premium version of bvz anyway

ok. I already have seen the quality of support. Even though its cheap.

Ref: http://lowendbox.com/blog/evoburst-low-budget-ipv4-and-ipv4-nat-from-e3year-nanovzmegavzbudgetvz/

• @jvnadr said:
    ask (before your initial buy) skylarM if he can upgrade you to yearly with offer price after the first month.

We always allow this :) Cannot guarantee sale prices will be available when he wants to upgrade though.

• SkylarM said: Cannot guarantee sale prices will be available when he wants to upgrade though

Hmmm, is this a sign that prices will go uphill soon? :-(

• @jvnadr said:
    Hmmm, is this a sign that prices will go uphill soon? :-(

Nope! Just that our current running LEB promo won't run as long as our last "promo" (you know, that OVZ512 at $15/yr we ran for like a year). I'd anticipate those promos to go away within a month.