Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best way to host website on 512mb ram VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best way to host website on 512mb ram VPS

AndreiAndrei Member

Hello,

Just wondering if anybody could recommend me the most effective and ram efficient way of hosting a few websites on a 512mb ram VPS.

Many thanks,

Andrei

Comments

• NomadNomad Member

Not Apache.

Opcaching + Memcaching + Server optimization.

Thanked by 1Andrei
  • CentMinMod

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited April 2015

What type of backend do these sites need?

You only need to be as efficient as you need to be, so generally the simplest solution that fits your needs works best.

• static html sites, any web server will work, wordpress or other php sites, nginx will be your friend

• Standard LNMP stack, throw on some form of caching, offload media to a CDN if needed.

Thanked by 1niknar1900
  • rokokrokok Member

512 is plenty :) without apache, without any panel

• UrDNUrDN Member

We have VMs used for shared hosting, some run apache with php-fm on 512MiB with no problem. When it comes to unskilled users who setup broken sites with tons of broken plugins there start the problem.

Thanked by 1Andrei
  • 32bit uses less ram, so something like Debian 7 32bit Minimal, Nginx, MariaDB, Php-fpm should be great.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

apt-get install nginx php5-fpm php5-mysql mysql-server mysql-client

add cache like varnish or cloudflare if you get a LOT of visitors

• serverguyserverguy Member
    edited June 2015

DigitalOcean provides 512Mb droplet. I am managing several servers on shill removed with their caching Nginx, Varnish, Apache, Memcached combination.

• My vps, I installed Debian 7 + Nginx + MariaDB + php5-fpm + apc cache.

Thanked by 1leb_anonymous
  • sinsin Member

I use Debian 8.0 64-Bit with Nginx, PHP-FPM, MySQL, and enable Zend along with installing APCu for certain Wordpress cache plugins.

• HorusHorus Member

kloxo-mr +webmin

• @Horus said:
    kloxo-mr +webmin

Kloxo and Webmin? No way, they are hungry for resources.

Thanked by 1michaelphan
  • drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

vesta

• @Anna_Parker said:

You can stop Kloxo-MR/Webmin after website setup. So, it will be as same as like not use panel.

• vestacp + webmin

• Install CentOS
    Install KloxoMR
    Upload website

light weight :

use : vestacp or ehcp

• saintsaint Member

How about centos web panel?

• bersybersy Member

pure HTML or any flat-file CMS

• u137u137 Member

Nginx with microcache enabled

• NomadNomad Member

Why do people keep reccomending Panels? It's unnecessary.

Just enable AND optimize every caching mechanism you can lay your hands on. Such as Zend Opcache, memcache, microcache. Use Nginx/litespeed etc.

Don't install any useless software such as panels, IF you can do without them.

Also, go for MariaDB and optimize it as well. Most likely DB will your #1 memory hog.

Also, all these factors are relevant to the number of visitors you have, how your website is constructed etc...

Thanked by 2niknar1900 sin
  • I'm using Debian 7 32bit, latest mainline nginx (1.7.12) a bit optimized, php5-fpm from DotDeb with OPCache configured and MariaDB for my wp Blog and the loadtimes are quite nice I'd say. Server is in NL and when doing a Speedtest with Pingdom, the loadtime is around 500ms. Images are optimized with the EWWW Image Optimizer wp Plugin. When I enable ZenCache (wp Plugin as well) I even get nearly 200ms. I think thats fast enough, isn't it ;) and my blog isn't absolutely tiny, there's a background picture which got around 300kb, some post previews on the start page and so on.

AND not to forget: these 200ms are including a SSL handshake.. And the server for my blog got 256MB ram. So your 512MB are very likely enough to "disable" swap safely and get even more performance (as long as your Server itself is powerful as well).

• FaiziFaizi Member

@serverguy said:
    DigitalOcean provides 512Mb droplet. I am managing several servers on Cloudways with their caching Nginx, Varnish, Apache, Memcached combination.

How's the performance of Cloudways nowadays? Last time I put a single WP site with 3K UV/day + 5K Pageviews/day on DO 512MB , and mysql would randomly died once a day.

@Andrei said:
    Hello,

Just wondering if anybody could recommend me the most effective and ram efficient way of hosting a few websites on a 512mb ram VPS.

http://imgur.com/vICdhF9

Above is the screenshot of my DO 512MB droplets. It has two WP site averaging 13K UV/day + 30K Pageviews/day.

I ran Easy Engine (https://rtcamp.com/easyengine/) with mod pagespeed enabled. You might want to give it a try.

• SnapeSnape Member

Good lord, this place is as bad as WHT. Ten years ago we used to do shared hosting on 128MB boxes, now people are shocked you can run Apache in anything less than 8GB. 512MB will handle your basic boring LAMP stack with plenty of room to spare.