Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who was your 1st provider? [non free] - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Who was your 1st provider? [non free]

13»

Comments

• @Taz_NinjaHawk said: This is exactly we have soo many burstnet complaints. Most of the newcomer with No (Not everyone but almost 80% first time vps user) experience starts off using BurstNet.

While they are frikkin awesome, they are not for average users.

True.. at a time i had cpanel dedi with fastservers and almost same same config cPanel dedi at BurstNet for about half price(with reseller discount + sale :P ). With fastservers i had 100% uptime and with BurstNet 98-99%
    I kept Economy plan clients & Resellers on the BurstNet dedi :)

• Non-LEB : prgmr & linode
    LEB : citynethost & curlhost
    Active : buyvm

• Had to really think about this one it was like 15 years ago.

Shared - oc12host.com
    VPS - Nixism (Purchased by Hostdime)
    Dedicated - Hostdime
    Colocation - Colostore and now multiple others.

• my first vps provider was BuyVM for a seedbox :P

• PatsPats Member
    edited September 2012

@24khost said: Had to really think about this one it was like 15 years ago

15 years.. sure? i see 24khost.com created may 2010
    not sure when Mr Sal @prometeus started :)

• acarrascopeacarrascope Banned
    edited September 2012

@Taz_NinjaHawk said: 000webhost.com

Hate it, like it, more then 90% people here used them or other free provider before using anyone else.

http://www.hosting24.com/ is the non-free brand from 00webhost.com and was my first hosting provider too, gold package who register my very first domains too (7+ years domains until now). In Chile, early 2000 we have a provider called REUNA, today a non-profit institute and part of the Universidad de Chile.

• Linode... I know I know.

That didn't last very long =]

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited September 2012

@Pats said: not sure when Mr Sal @prometeus started :)

1997 Had 15th celebration this year.
    M

Thanked by 1gkz
  • My first shared provider was Dreamhost, moved to bluehost and then to crucialwebhost, from that point I went to webfaction (the best Shared host I have found so far) and then my first VPS arrive with thenynoc, after that I been with a couple of VPS host's from LEB and others that dont qualify as a LEB host.

• slicehost great uptime, and really hate them when they merger into rackspace :P
    lol

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

I don't remember the name, it was 1997 and was a US provider. They offered me one used SGI octane on rent for 600$ / month, 3 months commit. The dedi market like we know now was not developed and with the next two providers i bought hardware to be shipped to the dc

• tridinebandimtridinebandim Member
    edited September 2012

shared : cirtexhosting

leb: urpad

i dont think ill go shared after having vps nearly same price..

i am lurking for a 1gb ram 10 gb ssd 1Gbit vps price around 5$/month (xen/kvm)

i have faith..

• First paid webhost: JustHost (4th year with them now)
    First Paid VPS: Hostrail ( last for 2 or three month until they HostFail )

• @Maounique

Exactly why it's not there today.

• My first host was CI Host in Dallas in early 1998 for shared hosting. I used them less than 3 months before fleeing. The 1 1/2 stars out of 5 they have in their 44 reviews at epinion accurately reflects the type of incompetent service they provided in '98.
    http://www.epinions.com/inet-Web_Hosting-All-C_I_Host/display_~reviews

After CI Host I made the mistake of moving to Montreal's WebHosting.com (this was before it was sold to SBC). The servers were so oversold that 50K HTML only web pages would take 2-3 minutes to load and during the 2 weeks I was with them the hard drive on the server I was on ran out of disk space on 4 different occasions. Their "24/7" tech support late at night consisted of 1 person who wasn't a technician and answered every phone line late at night (sales, support, etc)

After my CI Host and Webhosting.com nightmares I moved to Interland (no complaints) in Atlanta for 6 months and then I got a dedicated server at ServInt in early '99 and stayed with them for 5 years.

• My first VPS was with echoservers, then Virpus. Quickly after that, I moved to buyVM and LEBs in general.

The VPS I had with echoservers was $22 / month at the time. I can get that for $7 here :P

• First VPS was from Enotch, I think 2010?Then got a special from ThrustVPS. Used both for about 3months... got a Buyvm pony and never looked back again.

• My very first VPS provider was VPSland with Windows Server 2003 installed. I'm totally blind with Linux at that time...

• It's rapidxen for me. I used it for two years, and they were very stable.

• My first host was GoDaddy and they were terrible. My first VPS was through Media Temple and I was pretty impressed, I'm now on other hosts since Media Temple is a little pricey.