Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best location/datacenter for Asia?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best location/datacenter for Asia?

Hi, what's the best location in Asia for a website with visitors from China/HK?

Locations
  1. What DC location?60 votes
    1. Singapore
      43.33%
    2. Japan
      13.33%
    3. Seattle
        1.67%
    4. Los angeles
        5.00%
    5. Hong Kong
      28.33%
    6. Other - please explain!
        8.33%

Comments

• Also what about San Jose or any other west coast USA?

• deployvmdeployvm Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2015

Latency and maybe performance wise, I would recommend Hong Kong. This will also depend on the provider's peering arrangements with CT/CU. HK-IX should cover most local ISP providers in HK and China Mobile.

Ideally, PCCW should be the best choice if you are unable to have a direct arrangement with China Telecom.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • Pay attention that some DC when connecting CN, route may goes US or JP.
    HK ISP that have direct peering to CN: NWT, ShaTian, Pangnet, etc.
    Sunnyvision goes KR.
    SG DC: hostsg, or expertvm.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • MarkTurnerMarkTurner Member
    edited April 2015

It really depends on where you want to go to (in terms of traffic flow).

The colo cost is usually pennies, its the cross-connect fee then in-suite cross-connects fee then the guy next doors cross-connect fee and some guy who wants a payoff's cross-connect fee that jack up the pricing.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • J1021J1021 Member

linuxthefish said: what's the best location in Asia

linuxthefish said: what about San Jose

Not in Asia, sorry.

• kcaj said: Not in Asia, sorry.

Best for connectivity to Asia, apparently San Jose is better than LA.

• Russia has a fine connectivity to Asia, better than others.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2015

For mainland China most likely Hong Kong, for Asia in general (all across from Japan to India) -- Singapore.
    The latter also has some good LEB deals by now.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • fitvpnfitvpn Member
    edited April 2015

From Moscow to Mumbai India basic speed test show 25-45Mbps and to Hong Kong 25-35Mbps. Ping 171-188Ms Not enough?

• fitvpn said: Not enough?

Probably not.

• William said: Probably not.

Depending how long distance is? From LA most advertised as Asia optimized ping 350Ms and speed 6-8Mbps, isn't?

Russia is not the best choice for low latency to Asia, if you're single-homed to Rostelecom (and even then, if you're lucky) you might get a direct route via the Japan cable both ways... Anything else, it's really hit and miss, lucky if it'll go via EU-SG cable, but you will often get even the EU-USA-Asia route around the world.

• smansman Member
    edited April 2015

@rm_ said:
    For mainland China most likely Hong Kong, for Asia in general (all across from Japan to India) -- Singapore.
    The latter also has some good LEB deals by now.

Where are these good LEB deals in Singapore? I have been looking for awhile now and have not found anything. Best I found for what I need is Softlayer which is far from inexpensive in the US and charge a bit of a premium on top of that for Singapore.

I need better than LEB but even the one man LEB operations I have found were quite bad on price and specs. Sometimes 100Mb/s connection is considered an 'upgrade' and/or offering severely limited bandwidth. I know bandwidth is more expensive there but still. Also based on the websites they don't really instill confidence they are going to be reliable.

Second best after Softlayer was Internap. Again, far from inexpensive and the way they do things (no KVMIP bare metal access, not even one time for install) doesn't work for me so they are not really an option.

• from Japan ping 376 and 10Mbps to HK and 451Ms+ 8 Mbps to Mumbai India. from Australia much worse 800Ms and 2Mbps

edited April 2015

sman said: Where are these good LEB deals in Singapore? I have been looking for awhile now and have not found anything. Best I found for what I need is Softlayer which is far from inexpensive in the US and charge a bit of a premium on top of that for Singapore.

See my list of providers. Among those, the DigitalOcean $5 plan is perhaps the best deal you're going to find. And no I didn't mean "LEB deals" as in $15/year ones.

• smansman Member

Digital ocean does not sell dedicated servers.

• zxsdwzxsdw Member

Hong Kong ShaTian, krypt Santa Ana and Singapore, Hostspace California. South Korea, Japan

• @rm_ said:
    See my list of providers. Among those, the DigitalOcean $5 plan is perhaps the best deal you're going to find. And no I didn't mean "LEB deals" as in $15/year ones.

DO's connectivity to China is bad, the route goes JP then SG.

• West Coast, USA

• hicohico Member

From my corner of SE Asia, Phnom Penh, I have found DO Sing to be the best. After two production VPSs in Singapore I have several in LA as the latency is less than other locations for me. It also depends on the local ISP as Ezecom has lower latency to Sing but metfon is lower to LA than Ezecom. I have also tested the latency from VN and Thailand and DO Sing still reigns for lowend cost/latency.

• @zxsdw said:
    Hong Kong ShaTian, krypt Santa Ana and Singapore, Hostspace California. South Korea, Japan

China Mobile's traffic to KR will go through US.

Krypt SG may be the best to China's all ISPs...

ShaTian, as we all know, last week 51IDC is under huge DDoS.

• StarryStarry Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2015

+1 for Krypt SG. Maybe thanks to high price it did not become worse.

Visitors in HK will get good speed to most datacenters, so I think you just need to consider China visitors.

In HK, Shatin / Pangnet suffers from DDoS attack sometimes, causing huge package loss. NWT only offers 50% of China direct bandwidth by default. PCCW is good but pure PCCW connection costs a lot.

Equinix's Japan datacenter seems good but I've not actually used them.

If you ignore China mobile users, Korea Telecom is a good choice too...

Also, Taiwan Hinet will be a good choice for China Telecom, but not for China Unicom.

Thanked by 1XeepiHosting_Joe
  • @Jylee How about DYXnet and SunnyVision for China mainland visitors?

• Both not very good peered.

• StarryStarry Member, Host Rep

XeepiHosting_Joe said: @Jylee How about DYXnet and SunnyVision for China mainland visitors?

Not sure about DYX, but Sunnyvision goes through Korea Telecom and cause high package loss sometimes.

• @XeepiHosting_Joe said:
    Jylee How about DYXnet and SunnyVision for China mainland visitors?

When CT and CU users visit SV, the traffic often goes KR.

CN-KR-HK.

That's because SV's most link is connected with Korea Telecom, according to bgp.he.net

• XIAOSpider97 said: When CT and CU users visit SV, the traffic often goes KR.

CN-KR-HK.

That's because SV's most link is connected with Korea Telecom, according to bgp.he.net

Thanks for the information, now we know that they are not directly routed to China mainland, but is that route CN-KR-HK acceptable for China visitors?

• @XeepiHosting_Joe said:
    Thanks for the information, now we know that they are not directly routed to China mainland, but is that route CN-KR-HK acceptable for China visitors?

Seems okay :)

But will not be as good as direct peerings.

• Seeing this thread, I wonder.. Is the best connection in China is only from inside China itself? It seems whatever peering from you got, you have to make some compromise with it.

I am from Indonesia, our connection isn't great at all, but acceptable in my opinion. West Coast US, are the best besides Asia itself, but Europe and East Coast US is not bad either. In a good day I manage to get around 16-20 mbit/sec on my online.net server.

Thanked by 1Jazzy8999
  • @sirmbhe said:
    Seeing this thread, I wonder.. Is the best connection in China is only from inside China itself? It seems whatever peering from you got, you have to make some compromise with it.

I am from Indonesia, our connection isn't great at all, but acceptable in my opinion. West Coast US, are the best besides Asia itself, but Europe and East Coast US is not bad either. In a good day I manage to get around 16-20 mbit/sec on my online.net server.

No, HK and SG and JP are good.