Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mobile networks - why so expensive?! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Mobile networks - why so expensive?!

Comments

• @TheKiller said:
    We always thought that develped countries have cheap internet with high speeds, but looks like its not that case. I don't know what is the reason for mobile networks but landline DSL/Fiber is cheap in developed countries.

I'd consider UK a developed country and DSL/Fiber is not cheap.

BT Unlimited - 36/10 - £20/pm + £15/pm line rental.

• I use Three (UK) £25m/o

Unlimited Minutes - Unlimited Texts - Unlimited (3G-4G Data)

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/1082093945

• @rmlhhd said:

We are getting DSL on copper line 4/1 Mbps for Approx. $25 per month.

• nexmarknexmark Member
    edited April 2015

The reason to why mobile networks are expensive is due to

• Valuable spectrum licenses
    • Equipment costs (Tower licensing, Radio head units, Sectors)

Spectrum is an important key role, just like WiFi load too many users on top, the airwaves become congested, as such a wireless carrier must own and operate many bands to accommodate this. Which is why in the US you'll always see the main 4 carriers (Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint) Always trying to bid on spectrum. Which is ... Expensive $$$

Secondly, the actual equipment itself to serve the signal isn't quite cheap. Radio head units, panel per sectors all factor in, upgrading the Fiber or T1 lines to the cell site is also costly.

T-Mobile is the only carrier that seems to be really Unlimited in the states, and the cheapest.

I don't mention sprint anywhere because in many areas/markets they've neglected their network for years, So they're playing catch up right now.

$35 Unlimited Talk, Text, Web, Hotspot (5GB)

• VikingLayerVikingLayer Member
    edited April 2015

@patrick7 said:
    Here in Switzerland we pay 15CHF (16 USD) for 1GB Internet.

You'd get 20GB with Tele2 in Sweden for that price :)

Edit: saw that someone mentioned Tele2 already.

• VikingLayer said: You'd get 20GB with Tele2 in Sweden for that price :)

TDC have some crazy corporate offers too like bandwidth pooling which helps. When I was out in Sweden, we had Telia DOF, that always used to make me laugh.

clamhost said: I use Three (UK) £25m/o

Three is great, I use Three personally. Company uses Vodafone which is dreadful.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited April 2015

Capitalism, otherwise i could not explain to me. UK/AT you can get flats for 20-40EUR.

Here (still inside of the EU) you still pay for 300MB 8EUR, the cheapest is 5GB for 15EUR Monthly, the rest 30GB LTE for 60EUR........

• Anna_ParkerAnna_Parker Member
    edited April 2015

In Poland we have free unlimited traffic mobile Internet called Aero2, but it's limited to 512 kbps.

• I pay €30 for free calls, free SMS and 20G 4G network.
    I Can use it in Denmark and in 19 other countries on the same terms

• Belgien
    England
    Finland
    Frankrig
    Holland
    Hongkong
    Irland
    Italien
    Liechtenstein
    Luxembourg
    Nordirland
    Norge
    San Marino
    Schweiz
    Skotland
    Sverige
    Tyskland
    Wales
    Østrig

• rauppe31rauppe31 Member, Host Rep

@Netsat said:
    I pay €30 for free calls, free SMS and 20G 4G network.
    I Can use it in Denmark and in 19 other countries on the same terms

From where?

• Denmark. Provider is 3.dk

• J1021J1021 Member

clamhost said: I use Three (UK) £25m/o

Unlimited Minutes - Unlimited Texts - Unlimited (3G-4G Data)

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/1082093945

Woah, this cap should have been in place at the time of your test.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited April 2015

kcaj said: Source please?

EE L2 Tech support! apparently at the time (3 months ago) it was passing 1.6Gbps. it's likely it serves for miles and even maybe the city centre (parts of)

Specifically this one https://www.flickr.com/photos/liverpoolsuburbia/4671354564/

it's sending out DC-HSDPA/LTE and soon LTE-A

I believe it's owned by MBNL

• 54 CNY for 2GB, China Unicom Hebei.

Shijiazhuang, known as the Capital of Hebei province, launched LTE FDD in 2014 Q3... Works well with my Nexus 5 :)

But I'm still jealous that some ISPs in NA and EU can offer unlimited traffic :(

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

rds100 said: Because the usable wireless spectrum is a very limited resource and the operators pay a lot of money for this spectrum.

I'm going to guess that also, it takes a lot more energy to push stuff from towers through the air than along nicely conductive copper wiring. The efficiency is way different. Sort of like wired ethernet vs. wifi.

Also, cable has been in place for decades...and it runs along the same paths generally as phone, electricity, etc. Easy to get right of way. On the other hand, you have to build cell towers in the middle of cities, on very expensive real estate, etc.

Finally, cable was designed from the start for high throughput (television). Cell phones were originally voice, and every few years someone releases a new data standard and everyone clamors for it, and this means upgrading towers. Remember how awful the AT&T-only iPhone network was for the first few years?

• mintmint Member

67k won (nearly 56EUR) without VAT for 15GB data, 3Mbps limited after, Provider is Korea Telecom. too expensive u.u

• nexusrainnexusrain Member
    edited April 2015

I pay 15€/m for 3GB (after that limited to 64kbit/s) and no LTE (upto HSPA+) here in Germany. But that's with 1 month contract length. That's the cheapest offer you can get here (afaik) (excluding e plus, their covering is awful for me at home (2 to 3 bars edge, takes 2 minutes to load the mobile start page of G.)) with monthly billing.

• paying 200hkd (25.80 USD) for an year access 5000 minute / 13gb. reception/speed is not the best but the value can't be beat.

• @nexmark said:
    The reason to why mobile networks are expensive is due to

the other very significant cost you havent included is the regulatory cost. the more developed nations impose a far higher regulatory standard/requirement on providers. installing new towers requires multiple permits, often case studies, more permits to run the cables to the tower etc.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

15.50 eur per month for 2GB data @ 4G, 300 minutes for calls for every portuguese providers, unlimited SMS/MMS. - Portugal

• J1021J1021 Member

TarZZ92 said: EE L2 Tech support! apparently at the time (3 months ago) it was passing 1.6Gbps. it's likely it serves for miles and even maybe the city centre (parts of)

Specifically this one https://www.flickr.com/photos/liverpoolsuburbia/4671354564/

it's sending out DC-HSDPA/LTE and soon LTE-A

I believe it's owned by MBNL

Ah, that's cool. I know a vast amount of MBNL masts in the cities are already complete with 1Gb/s backhaul and heard rumours of some being planned an upgrade to 10Gb/s where needed. IIRC the 1Gb/s MBNL masts are split 650Mb/s for EE 2G/3G/4G and Three 3G, with the remaining 350Mb/s split for Three 4G.

• ztecztec Member

Im about to pay 42 euro for 5gb @ 4g + unlimited calling / sms + some benefits in other countries + 'free' samsung s6.

Is that a reasonable deal?

Thanked by 1TheKiller
  • @ztec said:
    Im about to pay 42 euro for 5gb @ 4g + unlimited calling / sms + some benefits in other countries + 'free' samsung s6.

Is that a reasonable deal?

Yes +1 for that. I would get it instantly :P

• @XIAOSpider97 said:
    54 CNY for 2GB, China Unicom Hebei.

Shijiazhuang, known as the Capital of Hebei province, launched LTE FDD in 2014 Q3... Works well with my Nexus 5 :)

Hmm...on China Unicom as well. Looks like you got a better deal than I do.

I'm paying 8 CNY or 1.31 USD a month. The plan comes with 300 minutes, 300 texts and 100MB of data per month. Plus options to purchase 1GB rollover-able data package for 25CNY/4USD a pop.

• iwaswrongonceiwaswrongonce Member
    edited April 2015

Didn't read the whole thread but it's a classic economic problem of shared resources. Spectrum is (within reason i.e. geographic bubbles) a shared and limited resource. We can't make more of it. Everyone within some radius are sharing it with each other. For wired networks, if you just build a second cable, you have doubled the capacity so the system scaled linearly whereas with wireless, you have a fixed spectrum and the only way to "build more" is to use the existing spectrum more efficiently. This is difficult and takes expensive R&D to figure out how to do, and it doesn't solve the problem that (ceteris paribus) a scare resource will always be more expensive than a plentiful resource (assuming they are close substitutes).

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • In the UK, the providers have to bid on the spectrum and there are many millions spent so I guess they don't reduce prices so they can cover the outlay, who knows, but thats my guess.

Luckily like quite a few people here I am on Three UK and get unlimited minutes / text / 3&4G. On top of that, they now let me use my inclusive minutes for text and talk in 7 or 8 different countries, including the USA, and so much data (can't remember how much)

If one network can do it why can't the rest - simple answer, like most big companies slowly raping the general public, is shareholders. They want they bite of money pie, screw the rest of the population as long as shareholders are happy the company can keep smiling.

/rant over :)

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @Fatboy said:
    In the UK, the providers have to bid on the spectrum and there are many millions spent so I guess they don't reduce prices so they can cover the outlay, who knows, but thats my guess.

Luckily like quite a few people here I am on Three UK and get unlimited minutes / text / 3&4G. On top of that, they now let me use my inclusive minutes for text and talk in 7 or 8 different countries, including the USA, and so much data (can't remember how much)

If one network can do it why can't the rest - simple answer, like most big companies slowly raping the general public, is shareholders. They want they bite of money pie, screw the rest of the population as long as shareholders are happy the company can keep smiling.

/rant over :)

Soo, the major 3/4G providers are still overcharging us?

• ztecztec Member

@joodle said:
    Yes +1 for that. I would get it instantly :P

You can pick it up @ phonehouse this friday.