Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Additional cost calculations for dedis
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Additional cost calculations for dedis

Dear All,
I need to have an idea about your experience with additional cost related to dedicated server providers like online.net and hetzner.
Like for example I rent a server with the purpose of /28 or /27 address block.
Also take into account the support charges if required (in case of some remote hand required) and cost for backup space.
So in the above scenario the monthly rental difference of the server does not make much of a difference but the extra cost does create a difference.
So suggestions and feedback please. Please share your experiences.
Thanks

Comments

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited April 2015

Sure thing, so, basically, for Hetzner:

The server may cost you 40 Eur per month, you'd also need to order a /27 and Flexipack, which gets you the following cost (just an example):

https://www.hetzner.de/hosting/produkte_rootserver/ex40

Price: 41.18 eur + 41.18 setup fee = 82.36 eur

• FlexiPack for the IP's and /27, 12.61 + 26.8 = 39.41 eur

Server and /27 Subnet, with FlexiPack which is required for the subnet = 121,77 for the first month, then discount the setup fee for the following months = 80.59 eur.

There's a /27 limit per server, it means you won't be able to host more than 30 customers.

edited April 2015

For online.net:

Server: http://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-lt

Cost: 39.99 + 40 setup fee = 79.99 eur

IP cost: /27 for 59.99 eur month, according to http://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/adresse-ip-failover-virtual-mac , they also require Business Service which is 20 eur per month)

Total cost for the first month: 159.98 eur

Total cost for the following months: 119.98 eur

As for the support options, online has several (SLA for support for hardware/network, the servers still unmanaged), while hetzner doesn't seem to have any (I may be wrong here, though), the servers are 100% unmanaged, other than basic support for hardware/network.

I hope I helped you. Do let me know if you need any further clarification, I'll try my best to answer your questions.

• NomadNomad Member

MrGeneral said: Total cost for the first month: 139.98 eur Total cost for the following months: 99.98 eur

About that...
    Add €20 more to that since it states Business Service, justification required Business Service Level is a must I guess.

Thanked by 1MikePT
    edited April 2015

@Nomad said:

Correct, I've updated the post to reflect that, thanks for catching that up mate!

• gtraxgtrax Member

Thanks buddies for the detailed comparison. I appreciate. So now the idea I get is that if you have less clients or not looking to setup a vps startup these are both acceptable options but it is better of to go with other providers as it seems the final cost wont be much of a difference.
    Because I just wanted to know the max /27 ip pool but i was actually working out two models

1- /29 pool and 6-8gigs of ram with 250+ G hdd
    2- /28 pool and 12-16gigs of ram with 500+ G hdd

so if we take into account the low cost providers which provider will better suit me?

PS: I could have gone for mark turner's advice and tried delimiter but I need something in europe.

• If you are looking for low-cost ip blocks, OVH or soyoustart may be cheaper.

• gtraxgtrax Member

@msg7086 yup OVH can be considered.
    Thanks