Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

iwStack Benchmark
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

iwStack Benchmark

Anybody have recent iwStack benchmark(s)? Searched around and couldn't find any. The 4 core 2GB @ 1 euro cent/hour seems to be a pretty unparalleled offering (for cloud/hourly billing at least). I've seen some posts that iwStack has varying setups throughout the product so performance may not be consistent. But on the newer zones, how does it stack up performance wise to some of it's competitors?

Comments

• alexvolkalexvolk Member
    edited April 2015

It depends how much resources you use:

if lower -> on good node (good performance)

if more -> on "abusers" node (bad performance)

As @Maounique said here.

• @alexvolk said:
    It depends how much resources you use:

if lower -> on good node (good performance)

if more -> on "abusers" node (bad performance)

As Maounique said here.

What? That's not how a benchmark works. Obviously my "performance" will be stellar if I don't use any resources. That's like saying the fuel economy of your car will be fantastic if you leave it parked in the garage.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 2015

alexvolk said: on "abusers" node

There are no "abusers" nodes. At one time we moved all miners in one node to hinder each other (mining is forbidden by ToS/AUP), but there were only miners there. No more mining happening, the problem cured itself.
    There are, at times, DoSers and other abusers like everywhere, but they dont last more than an hour or much less if the abuse is strong enough to raise alarms.
    That only happened so far on the KVM nodes preferred by kids and hobbists, because "it's cool" while Xen "sucks".

As a general rule, Xen is on better hardware and does better cpu sharing, so it should do better as long as xentools are installed. Also, the new KVM zone is on same hardware and if you deploy a new VM will land there with very few exceptions (usually, if you force it through the affinity settings).

• Offtopic stuff.
    @Maounique That xen-tools are needed on HVM instances?

• AmitzAmitz Member

Off Topic too: Never heard of XenTools. Shall I install it on my XenPower VPS? Would there be any benefit?

• CrabCrab Member

@yomero said:
    Offtopic stuff.
    Maounique That xen-tools are needed on HVM instances?

Yes, that's what he said earlier.

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited April 2015

@Crab said:
    Yes, that's what he said earlier.

And I said Xen HVM, I understand about PV environments, but HVM is almost like Qemu, so not sure.
    And also, tbh I am not sure how that package helps a xen instance

edited April 2015

It is needed for migration among other things. It makes the vm "cooperative" with the orchestrator. If you do not install them, the VM will work more like in a regular node, without much support for failover and stuff. It will be shutdown when moved, instead of seamlessly migrated, it will take a long time to notice it is down, migration might fail altogether, the snapshot vm feature might work but the snapshot could be inconsistent, etc.
    If you think this is an intrusion on your privacy, you may not install them, but it will be at your own risk, as usual, we sacrifice some privacy for functionality and convenience. It is better to take a regular KVM, it will be less risky regarding it's stability.
    As for the need to install in pv regular nodes, no, pv is different, the kernel already cooperates with the node, there is no need to install any other layer. But in iwstack, you still need it for migration, just very few templates are pv there.

• Thanks.
    So, I understand it wrong. These tools are for HVM guests then.
    And doesn't affect in the performance stuff.

I just can't find enough information related to this. Xen tools seems to be a package with utilities for the hypervisor, and not for the guests =S

• Sooo, back on topic. How is the per core performance compared to someone like DO or Vultr? Or rather more importantly, how does the performance per $ compare?

You know what, come and test it, if not satisfied and no abuse, we will return the money in full.