Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Small independent VPS provider
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Small independent VPS provider

envekesenvekes Member
edited October 2011 in Providers

Hi,

I'm a UK expat and use a basic VPS as a proxy mainly for video streaming. However one of the main services I'd like to use filters IPs known to reside in data centers. Recently my VPS has been hit by this filter. Are there any small, independent VPS providers that might not appear to live in a big data center? Or any other similar reliable service that would offer an ssh login?

Comments

• Where do you need this to be located, UK?
    What is the site that blocks known DC IPs?

• Yes it needs to be in the UK. The site is here: http://is.gd/TZbyh6 (sorry to act shady but a search engine indexed thread will probably end up breaking whatever solution comes up)

• This is a ip lookup from an ip assigned to my vps from dmbhosting.co.uk, Should work.

Hostname: uk1.evespace.co.uk
    ISP: Lancaster University Network Services Limited
    Organization: QuickVPS Limited
    Services: None detected
    Type: Broadband
    Assignment: Static IP

• TVC use a IP database from a well known anti fraud agency. so no it aint possible.

and everyone know's Luns is not a normal ISP such as Virgin.

• You also need to know you are essentually stealing from Britiain by trying to evade this filter. That law is there for a reason. If you want British TV pay for it.

• As it happens I still have a valid UK TV licence and please, if there's a legitimate way to receive UK TV abroad and pay for it, point me in the right direction! Licence aside, the only 'law' involved is a line in the sand drawn by the content providers, whose commercial interests dictate that I'm not part of the UK distribution and advertising audience... and that distinction looks on course to be overruled by the EU anyway.

• jhjh Member
    edited October 2011

You might just have to try a few until you find one that isn't blocked.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

You also need to know you are essentually stealing from Britiain by trying to evade this filter. That law is there for a reason. If you want British TV pay for it.

LOL.

• jhjh Member

It's a serious point actually - we all have to paid £35/quarter for a TV licence. Not saying I agree or disagree, but I think your reaction is uncalled for.

• A lot of expats would happily pay for it, but they aren't even given the choice because there's no such product available. There's a paid-for iPad app, but it has a limited amount of content, and is of course iPad only. Plenty of people use satellite to pick up UK TV, but if you're not under the satellite's footprint, streaming is your only option. Nobody's losing money if someone in another country streams UK TV without paying for it, so what's the problem? It's a victimless crime, with no viable alternative.

• NordicVPSNordicVPS Member
    edited October 2011

Anyone checked the BBC Worldwide iPlayer?

Subscription is £6.99/month

https://iplayer.bbcworldwide.com/

They are already active in most European countries :)

• jtodd said: It's a serious point actually - we all have to paid £35/quarter for a TV licence. Not saying I agree or disagree, but I think your reaction is uncalled for.

That's about the same I'm paying too, and TV sucks here. It's not my fault I've been born in the wrong country xD

NordicVPS said: Anyone checked the BBC Worldwide iPlayer?

BBC iPlayer is launching soon around the world... It looks like it's not active yet.

• Vedran

See more for the news, I know for fact it is active in Denmark and Sweden

http://blogs.bbcworldwide.com/2011/07/28/global-iplayer-launches-as-a-pilot-in-11-western-europe-countries-today/

• Try getting a vps located in a university campus datacentre.
    I have seen these located in southhampton and leeds and newcastle.
    Normally the ips are assigned to the univeristy not the datacentre will try and find a provider for you.

• thanks for the ideas, no luck with dmbhosting for me. I'll probably end up screwing around with satellite dishes on the roof, pity as I had myself a nice clean htpc setup.

and I can sleep better since receiving satellite broadcasts isn't breaking any so-called laws...

The university campus data center idea sounds promising though, would be grateful for any providers you can come up with.

• ramnetramnet Member, Host Rep

jtodd said: "we all have to paid £35/quarter for a TV licence."

I remember when it was £50 a year for a black and white and £90 a year for a colour.

And as far as stealing, I know where I lived most people didn't bother with getting TV licenses. Whenever the license people came round the TV was hid in the broom cupboard or somesuch and a radio put on the TV stand :-P

• The best part is that you don't need a license if you're watching individual shows on iPlayer. Watching the live feed requires a license, but watching individual shows without a license is perfectly legal.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2011

Yep, we pay for our TV licenses and you stealing it is wasting our money.

Anyways, I don't see what is so great about UK TV. Standard shows. Standard channels.

• The original UK shows tend to be of far higher quality than the eventual US ripoffs.

That, and I hear Liverpool accents are all the rage right now.

• Aldryic said: The original UK shows tend to be of far higher quality than the eventual US ripoffs.

Life On Mars wasn't even watchable when they made a US Version, they should have just played the original which was great.