Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Providers with Centos 6 OpenVZ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Providers with Centos 6 OpenVZ?

yomeroyomero Member
edited October 2011 in General

(aka vSwap OpenVZ xD)

Well, because some of you already did some experiments with this version, and it has proven it's great memory management scheme, anyone knows what providers offer it already?

At this moment I can remember only 2

AlienVPS

UptimeVPS

Another one? I am considering to get a little one just to play :P

Comments

• I am on an OpenVZ node with Hostigation that has vswap, although I think Tim rolled back a few boxes back to CentOS 5, but put CentOS 6 back to testing.

• Nice, but then isn't guaranteed that you will get one in Centos 6

Btw, I did a search and found this

http://www.lowendbox.com/?s=vswap

Particularly interested in an offer like the Quickweb one (location and reliability), but paying annually is too much.

• jhjh Member

Be very careful - CentOS 6 and OpenVZ do not mix well at this early stage.

• tuxtux Member
    edited October 2011

It seems that UptimeVPS use CentOS 5 on some boxes

2.6.32-274.el5.028stab093.2

• LowEndAdmin said: I am on an OpenVZ node with Hostigation that has vswap, although I think Tim rolled back a few boxes back to CentOS 5, but put CentOS 6 back to testing.

I actually killed off CentOS 6 for several months, and last weekend offered clients that had the time to beta test a single node with Scientific Linux 6.1 and we have just passed 3 days of uptime on an E3-1270 loaded with Minecraft servers. So far as long as it makes 7 days of uptime I'll feel safer putting it into production, as I was never able to get 24 hours out of the last attempt.

• Like all the new software, you must wait to get it enough patched to work.

Please update me if you can mantain that node fine and you upgrade to SL. Maybe I will get one box =) Ty

• @yomero

We have a small node in US and Germany, running CentOS 6.0 with VSWAP support.

I have space available on the US node ;)

• Thanks, but your plans are too much $$$ for my needs

• NordicVPS said: running CentOS 6.0 with VSWAP support.

E3-1230 and 2.6.32-042stab037.1 ?

yomero said: Thanks, but your plans are too much $$$ for my needs

He Xerox'd the BuyVM rate card, how is that too much?

• I'm running two VPS from Virpus with CentOS 6. They're running quite well.

• NordicVPSNordicVPS Member
    edited October 2011

miTgiB said: E3-1230 and 2.6.32-042stab037.1 ?

OpenVZ: E3-1270 2.6.32-042stab036.1

Node not yet upgraded the latest kernel.

KVM: E3-1270 2.6.32-71.29.1.el6.x86_64

Whats your Motherboard make/model?

• @tech163 Which CPU do you have on your Virpus VPS?

• NordicVPS said: Whats your Motherboard make/model?

I've been pretty set with the X9SCA-F but tried to save a little money on my last build and bought X9SCL+-F and pretty disappointed with it. It's fine for the job, but for only $30 in savings, I'll stick with the SCA

I am getting all kinds of weirdness in IPMI, don't really care for x8 slots, and seems to take twice as long to reboot as the SCA.

• @mitgib I am looking at the plans in their web page.

• yomero said: Please update me if you can mantain that node fine and you upgrade to SL.

Still going strong

[root@e3la06 ~]# w
     15:13:39 up 4 days, 7 min,  2 users,  load average: 6.74, 6.92, 6.12

• Cool =)

I guess it will be stable (if the hardware is stable :P)

• NordicVPS said: Which CPU do you have on your Virpus VPS?

On one, 8 cores of 'Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz', and 8 cores of 'Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E31230 @ 3.20GHz' on the other.

Thanked by 1NordicVPS
  • @yomero said: Well, because some of you already did some experiments with this version, and it has proven it's great memory management scheme, anyone knows what providers offer it already?

At this moment I can remember only 2

AlienVPS

UptimeVPS

Another one? I am considering to get a little one just to play :P

No probs here with 5x OpenVZ/CentOS 6.0 VPS ( 4x buyvm centos 6.0 VPS OpenVZ + 1x chicagovps.net centos 6.0 VPS OpenVZ ) all running Centminmod.com version of Nginx/PHP-FPM/MariaDB in load balanced configuration.

• @eva2000 Ehm you didn't read the whole thread, I mean nodes with Centos 6, no guests.

• oh nodes.... there was a thread over on wht forums about similar question hope this helps http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1076783

• yomero said: Please update me if you can mantain that node fine and you upgrade to SL.

Well, I had hoped to run the beta for a week, which has now run into 2 weeks, and while I hit my initial goal of 7 days of uptime under load, the 2nd week saw 2 kernel panics so I am ending this test and calling it a failure. Sticking with EL5 for OpenVZ for now as it is stable, I do not see EL6 and OpenVZ as stable yet on an E3 Xeon.

• Damn

That's sad. I guess you will use the same hardware with 5. If is a hardware failure, it will crash in the same way, I guess.

I hope that will be solved soon by te Ovz team u_u

• @yomero said: If is a hardware failure, it will crash in the same way, I guess.

If it is, I will be shocked, but yes, anything is possible. I have a dozen nodes with this config, and the node will be 3,000 miles away, so that would be my luck if it is bad hardware, but bad hardware shows up much quicker then a week of uptime.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@mitgib - Didn't you have a chance to put it on the L5520? Or is that thing set to KVM only for now?

Francisco

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2011

I've installed CentOS 6.0 on a few nodes but as soon as somebody installs a software firewall I remember why I always go back to CentOS 5. :(

• Hmm what is the problem with the firewall? Causes crashes, or influences packets outside the container?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Crashes the node and requires it to be forcefully shutdown so potential data loss in addition to downtime.

• Sounds bad :) Any oops/calltrace left that can be used to figure out where the bug is?

• Anyone mind going into details exactly what it is in COS6 that conflicts with OpenVZ? As a node/host or guest? I've been running it as a guest for nearly a week now with all my stuff set up and configured and haven't seen any issues yet. Anything to keep an eye out for?

• @Francisco said: @mitgib - Didn't you have a chance to put it on the L5520? Or is that thing set to KVM only for now?

I only have a single L5520 node and yes, you are correct, it is a KVM node

I think there is a lot to that bug report you found since I was able to get 14 days of uptime with 24 1gb/1gb vSwap VPS on a 16gb E3 node. And it EL6 no longer supports overcommitment with any sort of stability, EL5 is going to be around for a long time yet.