Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Reverse DNS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Reverse DNS

kamalnasserkamalnasser Member
edited September 2012 in General

I was just wondering.. why do most hosts have the rDNS section in SolusVM disabled?

Comments

  • I think they don't have access to rDNS and just like us, they will request rDNS setup from their provider :D

  • Because they don't have full access for the IP.

  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

    Prometeus has it enabled, but must be an existing record pointing to the exact IP of the VPS.
    However, hosts do not like to get spammers onboard, when a spammer has to raise a ticket to get rdns will know someone will be watching at least a few days.
    But is pretty simple to automatically keep an eye on listed IPs
    M

  • nunimnunim Member
    edited September 2012

    @Maounique said: Prometeus has it enabled, but must be an existing record pointing to the exact IP of the VPS.

    However, hosts do not like to get spammers onboard, when a spammer has to raise a ticket to get rdns will know someone will be watching at least a few days.

    Yes, you need to set an A record before you can set RDNS.
    I'm not a spammer and frequently make RDNS requests, I like my hostnames to look pretty :p I especially use IPv6 RDNS for IRC so I don't have to waste an IPv4 record for a hostmask.

    More providers need RDNS enabled from SolusVM, I hate submitting support tickets for it.

    Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • Since the majority of us here just recieve IPs, from our datacenters, Which to get SWIP on our IPs, You require a minimum of a /24.(Most datacenters do this policy).

  • SWIP is not the problem with this, reverse delegation is - This is possible for any netblock size but easiest at /24 or more.

    Thanked by 1klikli
  • Aha. I understand :) I have to submit tickets too, and sometimes it takes more than 2 days just for the rDNS to be updated :\

  • @kamalnasser It takes them 2 days to reply saying it's been updated or 2 days to update rDNS? It really should take few hours max after it's set from dc

  • ServerSharpServerSharp Member, Host Rep

    Personally, I have it disabled. All rDNS requests must go through a ticket. Due to my DC's panel currently being in development, I can't do it myself so I just log a ticket with them when I need it done and they do it pretty quickly.

    I would rather do it that way, than people do it themselves via SolusVM. Same with IPv6, I manually provision those if people need them

  • We using the automatic rDNS setup with solusvm and powerdns for ipv4 and ipv6. It works perfect..It saves us a lot of time.

  • Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

    Most hosts don't get their IPs directly from ARIN, so they have to go through their datacenter/upstream for RDNS.

  • jhjh Member
    edited September 2012

    That and SolusVM's DNS system is poor (or at least was last time I used it)

  • I dont think it even works? . their backup system is certainly screwed tho

  • @jhadley, Solus now uses PowerDNS and PowerDNS is decent.

  • @dominicl said: Personally, I have it disabled. All rDNS requests must go through a ticket. Due to my DC's panel currently being in development, I can't do it myself so I just log a ticket with them when I need it done and they do it pretty quickly.

    I would rather do it that way, than people do it themselves via SolusVM. Same with IPv6, I manually provision those if people need them

    Do you even have access to /22?

  • @Taz_NinjaHawk said: Do you even have access to /22?

    Do you mean /24?

    Thanked by 2DeletedUser Taz
  • @jhadley said: Do you mean /24?

    Something down that line. Just pulled that off my head.

  • jhjh Member
    edited September 2012

    @Jack said: Some providers will give it you if you have a /25 ;)

    That's not delegation in the same sense (RFC2317)

    @Taz_NinjaHawk said: Something down that line. Just pulled that off my head.

    Ha! ;)

  • Some providers will give you access to their PowerAdmin(PowerDNS based panel) if you have /24+ that's true.

  • SolusVM comes as a replacement to PowerAdmin, you can manage rDNS for all IPs from Solus, even if IPs arent allocated to any VPS but to separate dedicated server on the same subnet.

  • Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

    @jhadley said: That and SolusVM's DNS system is poor (or at least was last time I used it)

    No issues with PowerDNS on our end.

Sign In or Register to comment.