Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Transfer large data files... scheduled/ automatic basis
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Transfer large data files... scheduled/ automatic basis

plumbergplumberg Veteran

I need to receive medium to large volumes of data from multiple clients. This data transfer is a file which needs to be consumed. I am not comfortable hosting a FTP server at my side. I am thinking about some type of "webservice" where clients, on an automated basis post the data files and my service consumes it and saves it for further processing

a. What are some of the advantages/ disadvantages of hosting a webservice which can consume a huge chunk of data?
b. what are some other means of achieving data consumption from different clients on an automated scheduled basis?
c. All options need to be secure

Any pointers appreciated.

Comments

• What do you mean by "consumes" - do you mean that the client uploads it to your site?

If so, use OwnCloud.

Tell them to install the OwnCloud client, and they can drop stuff in there anytime.

• @StartledPhoenix said:
    What do you mean by "consumes" - do you mean that the client uploads it to your site?

If so, use OwnCloud.

Tell them to install the OwnCloud client, and they can drop stuff in there anytime.

Well, yes, consumes is that the clients come to our service and post it. I would prefer a solution where they can make a simple http POST or similar. No installing extra software.

• @plumberg said:
    Well, yes, consumes is that the clients come to our service and post it. I would prefer a solution where they can make a simple http POST or similar. No installing extra software.

If you don't want client software, just use the web interface for owncloud