Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

.IO owners using namecheap, beware. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

.IO owners using namecheap, beware.

2»

Comments

• LukeTLukeT Member

zeitgeist said: Others have been hit by this too (and it seems Namecheap decided to help out that customer):

Seems having a large following helps..

4n0nx said: Wow I think I am going to move my domains

Just moved all the domains I care about out of NameCheap, if they are going to randomly decide on new renewal rules and cause $200 in fee's, they're better without me

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

feedback[a]namecheap.com

^ anyone else?

• reading all that crap about namecheap recently I realized I've just few domains with them left. I just moved them to namesilo 5 mins ago

• Bizarre. I use Gandi for .io too, no problems with them.

• yup, namecheap used to be great, but not anymore.

• TPNTPN Member

Could you place a backorder on your own domain name at NIC.io for about $90? I think that includes one year of renewal. Its cheaper than $233 and I believe you're domain gets transferred to the Registry from NameCheap. You may not have any ability to access your website during the 90-day wait period (from expiration date to +90 days when your backorder kicks in). Not sure if it will work for you but something to look into in the future or anyone else who experiences this.

• TPNTPN Member

@HostNun said:
    Bizarre. I use Gandi for .io too, no problems with them.

If someone purchases your .IO and the domains lives at Gandi, good luck trying to push it to another Gandi account. There is a bunch of manual paperwork to be done. Horrible.

Thanked by 1HostNun
  • HostNunHostNun Member

@TPN interesting, I wonder why. Although I don't sell domains so I would have never noticed.

• Had problems with .io renewals at NameCheap before, apparently they hold your renewal payment and only renew on the domain expiration date (wtf?!).

I'm 99% sure they are reselling .io domains from someone else after checking the chat logs with them.

• When registering domains at Namecheap why we cannot see Namecheap as registrar? I have seen it as eNom.

Is namecheap reseller or registrar?

Can anyone tell me?

• @TheKiller said:
    When registering domains at Namecheap why we cannot see Namecheap as registrar? I have seen it as eNom.

Is namecheap reseller or registrar?

Can anyone tell me?

NameCheap is a reseller for Enom

• For what I know, NC is the biggest reseller of eNom, so that would probably explain the registrar field. Not sure if eNom makes money on them though with all their promos :)

• classyclassy Member

Technically enom is a reseller of nic.io, so...

• KwiceroLTDKwiceroLTD Member
    edited May 2015

It's ironic, if you spent a minute to read the big notice about those domains and their whole TOS/AUP, you'd actually see that, it isn't a joke, it's your failure to properly read and just assume.

Thanked by 1ricardo
  • ricardoricardo Member

Yeah, what @KwiceroLTD said. And namecheap (I use them too) is just a codebase built on top of the enom registrar reseller API. I use their API and it's quite limited. For instance, you can verify whether a domain has been RAA verified in enom, but not in namecheap.

Ultimately if it's in their terms of service and you could have known beforehand, you can't fault namecheap, but thanks nonetheless for pointing out the 'stealth' cost.

Thanked by 2KwiceroLTD iKeyZ
  • ChuckChuck Member

Somebody should make a new thread "Namecheap suckass".

• iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran
    edited May 2015

@Chuck said:
    Somebody should make a new thread "Namecheap suckass".

Namecheap have always been great to me - support is always excellent too.

• petrispetris Member

@Patrick and @LukeT,

Assuming you don't have domain privacy enabled, you can reset the owner password and then manage your domain directly from nic.io, at which point you can then "transfer" it somewhere else. I've successfully done this when the auth code name.com gave me was incorrect and I didn't feel like waiting for their support to answer me. I ripped the domain out of their hands and had it transferred to Gandi the same day.

http://www.nic.io/faq.xzx#owner_password_reset