Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RIPE is running out of IPv4 - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RIPE is running out of IPv4

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@gsrdgrdghd said: RIPE isn't just the EU, it's also the middle east and central asia.

All rapidly growing places where the infrastructure is being developed at a fast pace.
    M

• IPs also seem much cheaper in the EU then they do in the US.

• RandyRandy Member
    edited September 2012

We still have IPV6, it is not the end of the
    World!

i blame vincent chan and all the fruads/spammers

edited September 2012

what worries me the most is that RIPE is the first to run out of it.
    As long as the others still have IPv4 will not feel the need to switch and there will be a big problem of interconnectivity with tunnel brokers from IPv6 to IPv4 making a lot of money off RIPE ppl and some other schemes.
    I suspect there will be some uproar about it and the remaining /8 will be redistributed a bit.
    If not, what can I say, life sucks, lucky it is short...
    M

• @liam said: Whoever is in charge of ICANN/RIPE/ARIN these days, needs to read a few books on communism and sort this mess out.

Share the wealth! Oh wait....

@liam said: Some of these large corporations are using like 1-5% of their ipv4s (normally on 1 range) it's complete madness.

Regardless, I dont believe the future will be clawing back, at the end of the day, IPv6 MUST replace IPv4, but i want everyone to run out in the same time so the effort will be global and the switch less painful.
    M

• Yeah. it should be done all at the same time. and it will be fair

• VPS using private IP (I've tried it only in openvz and have a real success) maybe one of the solution, since some internet provider in another country (including my country) doesn't support ipv6..

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2012

My biggest worry is that ISPs will avoid ipv6 adoption because their hoarding has given them a valuable product they never expected to increase in value as much as an ipv4 address will after exhaustion, so they'll avoid it in order to profit from it. This is one case where I encourage legislative intervention.

Profit from access all you want, but not by holding the growth of the Internet hostage.

Thanked by 1Randy
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@Maounique said: what worries me the most is that RIPE is the first to run out of it.

APNIC (Asia-Pacific) was the first to run out, and that was back in April-2011:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv4_address_exhaustion

@rm_ said: APNIC (Asia-Pacific) was the first to run out, and that was back in April-2011

I stand corrected.
    Havent heard much about the subject, someone in the area can share some experiences ? Adoption rates, ipv6 only providers, VPSes etc ?
    M

• @bdtech no I have no affiliation, and you did not look or read closely enough if you think it has to cost money....they offer a range of free products that work great, I pay 0$. Take some time a browse and read the site and you will see.

Cheers!

• It was inevitable. There are only ~4.2 billion IPv4 addresses for a world population of 7 billion. People saying our kids will curse us when they have to implement IPv8 have no sense of the numbers involved. IPv6 has 340,282,366,920,938,463,463,374,607,431,768,211,456 addresses. If we have to implement IPv8 it won't be because of a lack of address space. Exponentiation is tricky!

• IPv4 Pricing will go up, as well as VPS Servers. :P

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited September 2012

@Soylent said: People saying our kids will curse us when they have to implement IPv8 have no sense of the numbers involved.

That's because they will need some time to get rid of looking at IPv6 from old IPv4 perspective. IPv6 provides nearly 600 quadrillion addresses for every square millimeter on earth.
    Once host get /48 it makes no difference from (non realistic) IPv6 depletion perspective if they allocate to end customers /64 or /128 -> IPs from given /48 are wasted only when host keeps them instead give to customers.

I am wondering if some LEB host which was very generous with IPv4 addresses in past will requst some IPs back :)

• @Taz_NinjaHawk said: /29 would be more than enough for average home. Unless your fridge and coffee machine needs to have their own tweeter account.

A single IP should be enough for an average home. In The Netherlands you get a modem with router and it's just NAT from there. Works good enough until you want to run a DC from your home. There's IPv6 for that now, though.

@trololo: http://community.logmein.com/t5/Hamachi/5-x-x-x-Address-Range/td-p/83996, looks like they are looking into it. It could still take a while though, if you ask me.

@liam said: Some of these large corporations are using like 1-5% of their ipv4s (normally on 1 range) it's complete madness.

At my work we have two /29s and we don't even use 25% of it. Now, we're not a large corporation, but still. However, our colo provider hasn't even implemented IPv6 yet (dafuq, I know), so we're quite happy having this amount. Especially for SSL, since there's a lot of people still using IE6 or something else that doesn't handle SNI.

• @mpkossen said: A single IP should be enough for an average home.

Most homes probably don't even need a single IP. From a technical point of view it's only required if you need to open a port.

@gsrdgrdghd said: Most homes probably don't even need a single IP. From a technical point of view it's only required if you need to open a port.

A simple opt in or tiny fee for a unique IP upon signing up for your ISP could be a way to go about that, as anyone who needs one would hopefully know it, and grandma wouldn't care.

• The problem with that is the legal side - ISPs need to be able to identify the offender if they get an abuse complaint. I don't think that can work with one big NAT

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
    edited September 2012

@gsrdgrdghd said: The problem with that is the legal side - ISPs need to be able to identify the offender if they get an abuse complaint. I don't think that can work with one big NAT

It will work at your ISP level, it is legally the same as in the case of dynamic IPs, right holders, their lawyers and spy agencies will still have to go to ask your ISP. If the law doesnt require them to present some probable cause or warrant, then it is exactly the same.
    M

• @Maounique said: it is legally the same as in the case of dynamic IPs

Yes, every customer has one IP. With the time and the IP a customer can be identified. That's not the case when 100 people share the same IP.

@gsrdgrdghd said: Yes, every customer has one IP. With the time and the IP a customer can be identified. That's not the case when 100 people share the same IP.

I was thinking more like 2. Still cuts down usage by a hefty percentage over time.

• @jarland said: I was thinking more like 2. Still cuts down usage by a hefty percentage over time.

Yeah a 50% saving on IPs would already be a great achievement. But i guess it's questionable if setting up a NAT in the providers DCs together with things like opt-out, logging, etc will be cheaper in the end than introducing IPv6 (which they need to do anyway).

• @mpkossen said: using IE6

Get a bulldozer and break them computers. These people does not have the right to use internet.

@gsrdgrdghd said: Yes, every customer has one IP. With the time and the IP a customer can be identified. That's not the case when 100 people share the same IP.

I dont think you understand.
    I mean, the provider can track the customer and know where is he/she connecting. You still need to ask the provider who was accessing x site/service at that time, while before they had to ask who was using a special IP at the time. The NAT gateway will be able to log the connections of the y private IP with the z public IP through it.
    There will be a new level of logging, a couple of laws will have to be changed, but it is basically the same, as long as the law allows it, they will know what we are doing.
    M

• Well the world need a change :) Hopefully every DC and everything will be IPv6 connected :) And we Providers wont have so much difficulties on getting IPs :)

• AsadAsad Member
    edited September 2012

Came across this..

The DWP should sell its block of 16777216 IP addresses

Responsible department: Department for Work and Pensions

The world has run out of IPv4 addresses, making connection of new people and computers to the Internet a chore - and making existing addresses extremely valuable.

It has recently come to light that the Department for Work and Pensions has its own allocated block of 16,777,216 addresses (commonly referred to as a /8), covering 51.0.0.0 to 51.255.255.255. The estimated market value of this block of addresses is between $0.5 and $1.5 billion.

Analysis shows that the DWP is not using any of these addresses in public. If they are being used for internal, private networks then this is a phenomenal waste of public funds - the block 10.0.0.0/8 is specifically earmarked for use on internal private networks, and using the globally routed 51.0.0.0/8 internally is madness.

£1 billion of low-effort extra cash would be a very nice thing to throw at our deficit.

http://blog.jgc.org/2012/09/the-uk-has-entire-unused-ipv4-8-that-is.html

There's a petition here to get the Government to sell it, but I'd keep hold of it as it's going to be worth more soon when Ripe runs out of IPv4 addresses :P

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/38744

Thanked by 1jh
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2012

This is a monumentally stupid idea and every single person signing the petition is an utter idiot.

1) reallocating the addresses won't buy much time anyway (a month or two at most);
    2) they are using those IPs, just not on the Internet;
    3) if decided to return it, the proper practice is to return to RIPE, not selling off.

More discussion: http://yro.slashdot.org/story/12/09/18/011214/uk-government-owns-169-million-unused-ipv4-addresses

@AsadHaider said: when Ripe runs out of IPv4 addresses

Which happened like 4 days ago?

• RIPE doesn't allow selling IPs as far as I know, so not sure how they are gonna do that :S

• @gsrdgrdghd said: Most homes probably don't even need a single IP. From a technical point of view it's only required if you need to open a port.

True. I'm just glad I get IPv6 back when I get my fiber connection next month :D

@jarland said: A simple opt in or tiny fee for a unique IP upon signing up for your ISP could be a way to go about that, as anyone who needs one would hopefully know it, and grandma wouldn't care.

True. There's lots of ISPs here giving dynamic IPs. I have a premium provider, so I get a static one. That concept could be extended to having a dedi IP.

@Taz_NinjaHawk said: Get a bulldozer and break them computers. These people does not have the right to use internet.

Try telling your customers that. Believe me, we tried. But we're talking real money here. I'm all with you, but most users either just don't care, just don't understand of have a lazy sysadmin.