Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a bulk IP to ASN tool
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a bulk IP to ASN tool

GunterGunter Member
edited March 2015 in General

I'm looking for a tool where I can input around 200 IP addresses, and have them resolve to an ISP/ASN via the Maxmind IP Database, ideally into a plain text list.

Anyone have an idea as to what can accomplish this task?

Comments

• telephonetelephone Member
    edited March 2015

Use Team Cymru's services. For your query, I'd use their WHOIS service as it allows a bulk search with no coding (text file input/output).

Link: Team Cymru WHOIS IP to ASN

Relevant excerpt:

1) Create a file with a list of IPs, one per line. Add the word begin at the top of the file and the word end at the bottom.

Example of list01:

`begin

end`

Remember: you can add comments and other flags per the table above if you'd like.

`begin

verbose
    68.22.187.5 2005-06-30 05:05:05 GMT
    207.229.165.18 2005-06-30 05:05:05 GMT
    198.6.1.65 2005-06-30 05:05:05 GMT
    end`

2) Run the list through GNU netcat (NOT the venerable nc).

$ netcat whois.cymru.com 43 < list01 | sort -n > list02

The file list02 will be sorted by origin AS, and should appear as:

`Bulk mode; one IP per line. [2005-06-30 15:37:07 GMT]

701 | 198.6.1.65 | UU UUNET Technologies, Inc.
    6079 | 207.229.165.18 | RCN RCN Corporation
    23028 | 68.22.187.5 | SAUNET SAUNET`

EDIT: I see you wanted to use Maxmind, but their data can easily be outdated (as it's updated monthly). Where as Team Cymru updates their database every 4 hours (from 50+ BGP peers).

Thanked by 2Bochi deadbeef
  • @telephone said:
    Use Team Cymru's services. For your query, I'd use their WHOIS service as it allows a bulk search with no coding (text file input/output).

Relevant excerpt:

EDIT: I see you wanted to use Maxmind, but their data can easily be outdated (as it's updated monthly). Where as Team Cymru updates their database every 4 hours (from 50+ BGP peers).

Thanks!

• @telephone said:

Relevant excerpt:

I thought max mind updates every tuesday.

• telephonetelephone Member
    edited March 2015

MSPNick said: I thought max mind updates every tuesday.

The paid version is updated weekly (With Updates: $50 for the first month and $12 for each month thereafter), where as the free version is updated the first Tuesday of each month.

• blackblack Member

I actually have ip to asn. I posted it in my vpn ip check thread, check there.