Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Server - identifacation & selling
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Server - identifacation & selling

plumbergplumberg Veteran

I have a supermicro server with 2 physical processors that I built for my personal home use. Most of our apps have moved to dedicated servers online/ VPS. Now, we have little to no use of this server as its idle most of the time. We would like to sell it full / in parts and recoup some money we invested.

a. What is the best way to identify the current configuration of the server so i can list it for sale?
b. what is the best place to sell used servers?

On the whole, i see the server is on a good to excellent working conditions.

Comments

• wychwych Member
    edited March 2015

a - the BIOS should list some basic spec's, for more in the OS you could try some of these.

b - ebay, but don't expect much if its a low spec machine.

• It depends on your location. You can try online second-hand stores and promote on certain local IT forums.

• Normally the BIOS will list the CPU type, ram etc, but you might have to pull the disks to check what model/capacity/speed they are.

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

Can you disclose the configuration ?

• @BharatB said:
    Can you disclose the configuration ?

I am planning to do that. But, i wanted to first collect basic config of the server. :-)

• Thanks for your comments. So far, i have found out the following config:

Mid-Tower - Supermicro SYS7036AT - 1

Processor - Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5570 @ 2.93GHz - 2 Processors

KINGSTON 8GB PC3-10600R DDR3-1333 REGISTERED ECC MEMORY MODULE 9965516-001.B00LF --> 8gb * 4 dimms

Any offers? How much money can I get for this server or parts?

• if os is windows, cpu-z has a function at bottom to save an output in txt files.

• wychwych Member

@plumberg where are you located?

• @plumberg - you will probably get about $200-$250 so its probably worth sitting on it and using it for something else.

• plumbergplumberg Veteran
    edited March 2015

@wych said:
    plumberg where are you located?

Boston, if interested please submit your best offer