Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NAS Drive? Nope This is better - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

NAS Drive? Nope This is better

13»

Comments

• I have a pogoplug as well / 5 to 10 gigs free / I would pay the 30 bucks for 100 gigs at aws but I need SSH access for my server backups ... ummm dont think that is avail

Dave

• @HostCheetah said: I have a pogoplug as well / 5 to 10 gigs free / I would pay the 30 bucks for 100 gigs at aws but I need SSH access for my server backups ... ummm dont think that is avail

There is SSH on pogoplug!

• @NickBudi said: Ordered the classic. The pogoplug in the cnet deal only has 1 USB port btw

3 right? 2 USB 3.0 on the back, 1 USB 2.0 on the front.

@Chan said: I'm a bit confused here... so if my home's uplink is bad, does it mean that it'll be slow if I download stuff from the "cloud"? Or will I be downloading from Amazon Glacier?

That is correct. You will be streaming/downloading stuff directly from your own internet connection. So if you have a slow upload, streaming/downloading stuff from another location will be slow.
    The Amazon Glacier storage is solely provided as a backup storage for your Pogoplug, incase the attached harddrives to your Pogoplug break down, and cannot be used to directly download or stream stuff from.

@matt_securedspeed said: Mine came in today. Model: POGO-P21 with 3 USB ports.

I assume you mean 4 ports. 3 on the back, 1 in the front.

• @Freek said: I assume you mean 4 ports. 3 on the back, 1 in the front.

Correct.

• @Freek If I remember correctly, the CNet deal includes the Pogoplug mobile (or just 'Pogoplug' now) which has 1 USB 2.0 port, 1 SSD card slot, and 1 Ethernet port.

My Pogoplug classic is here! Does anyone colo these :P

• Has anyone else had a problem of streaming large videos (100MB +) i can download them fine but streaming dont work :(

• On my mobile right now. Haven't found the time yet to install the thingy. Currently at a birthday party, have another one this evening after this one. Hope to find the time tomorrow to play around with it....

• DanielMDanielM Member
    edited September 2012

Just looking further at mine. turns out its a pogoplug Pro with the faster proc and wifi.

• @DanielM Mine looks the same, but does not have WiFi?

I found the time to install the thingy today. The initial setup went smooth but then the problems started. Their web interface is not so intuitive, but I can live with that.
    What's worse is that their backup aka companion software is not intuitive at all. I set it to backup some folders on my PC to my external HDD attached to my PogoPlug. The thing was that I already had the exact same files and folders on that external harddrive, so I was hoping that it would see the files were already there and just skip uploading the files. Well, it didn't. It just started overwriting them without asking any questions. This sucks in two ways: 1. Wasting excessive bandwidth 2. If you already have files on your harddrive with the same names/folders you are trying to backup from your PC, they will be overwritten, regardless if they are bigger/smaller/newer etc.

But here's the real dealbreaker: Each and everytime I reboot my PC, the pogoplug software just 'forgets' that it has backupped my files before and starts ALL OVER again... everytime! So in other words: It's re-uploading 1.5TB of files everytime I reboot my PC. That's just insane!!! I am not the only one with this issue: http://support.pogoplug.com/entries/21923227-backup-question

I am sorry, but this is a real showstopper. Basically I just can't use it at all, because I don't feel like uploading 1.5TB every time over my slow uplink...

Bottomline: Nice idea, nice concept, cheap price... but a buggy interface and broken software is a big nono.

• AsadAsad Member
    edited September 2012

@Freek For all your data that you just want backed up and you don't change it often, get a 2TB hard drive with an encrypted volume and just back everything up to that. Store it in the garage, at work, or at a friends house. Easiest thing to do IMO. No need to spend a few days/week backing up multiple TBs of data, and it can be easily restored too.

For personal documents, get crashplan or something so it's backed up regularly.

• @Freek said: @DanielM Mine looks the same, but does not have WiFi?

Goto the my pogoplug area. Goto settings then you see wireless. or "draadloze" in your case ::)

• @AsadHaider said: For all your data that you just want backed up and you don't change it often, get a 2TB hard drive with an encrypted volume and just back everything up to that. Store it in the garage, at work, or at a friends house. Easiest thing to do IMO. No need to spend a few days/week backing up multiple TBs of data, and if it can be easily restored

I want to keep an offsite backup of my NAS, which automatically downloads episodes of all my favorite TV shows and series (approx 6 new episodes a week), so storing an HDD in my garage is not an option. Basically what I had in mind to do with my PogoPlug should work and suit this job properly if the software works...

CrashPlan is an option tho.

@DanielM said: Goto the my pogoplug area. Goto settings then you see wireless. or "draadloze" in your case ::)

Nope, not there?

• DanielMDanielM Member
    edited September 2012

Thats really strange. On mine it is. Maybe i was lucky and got a special version :D

ahh thats why. urs is pogoplug. mine is pogoplug pro :D

• @DanielM said: ahh thats why. urs is pogoplug. mine is pogoplug pro :D

Did you buy the 99 dollar plan then?

• @Freek said: Did you buy the 99 dollar plan then?

Nope.the $29 plan

• @DanielM said: Nope.the $29 plan

This makes no sense then. How is yours Pro and mine isn't?

• @Freek said: This makes no sense then. How is yours Pro and mine isn't?

Guess its just luck :)

• @DanielM said: Guess its just luck :)

Well it doesn't really make much of a difference anyway ;) Won't use the WiFi and the software is still broken :P

• DanielMDanielM Member
    edited September 2012

@Freek said: Well it doesn't really make much of a difference anyway ;) Won't use the WiFi and the software is still broken :P

Am using WD anywhere backup :D no need for that buggy software.

with the pogoplug mapped as a Network drive.

• @DanielM said: Am using WD anywhere backup :D no need for that buggy software.

with the pogoplug mapped as a Network drive.

Meh, my PogoPlug is not on the same network as my NAS.... Can't set something up with OpenVPN because the PogoPlug doesn't support OpenVPN, or I need to get a router, flash it with DD Wrt and put it in front of the PogoPlug...Plausible, but lets see if they can fix it.

• @Freek said: Can't set something up with OpenVPN because the PogoPlug doesn't support OpenVPN,

True and not true. You can install OPT and install via ipkg just like on a NAS drive.

• @gsrdgrdghd said: Apparently you can get an even better deal if you buy it at CNET (newer PogoPlug) but they just ship to the US :(

Use borderlinx.de for this purpose

Thanked by 1gsrdgrdghd
  • @DanielM said: True and not true. You can install OPT and install via ipkg just like on a NAS drive.

True, true. But let's wait and see if they can fix it within an reasonable amount of time. I give them 2 weeks ;)

• I thought about getting one of these, but with my slow upload speed I'm better off just backing up to one of my home servers, and then make a copy of the server and bring it to a friends house for an offsite backup.

• @wdq said: I thought about getting one of these, but with my slow upload speed I'm better off just backing up to one of my home servers, and then make a copy of the server and bring it to a friends house for an offsite backup.

Yeah, it would literally take me three to four months to initially backup all my data. Encrypted disk on HDD stored offsite is the easiest way to go for me.

All my documents which I regularly use are stored on network (file server) and that's backed up and what not.

• So through cnet you get the Pro version?

• @AsadHaider Yeah. I tried CrashPlan and uploading all of my data would take a little over a year.

I have a similar setup where I have a server in my basement with lots of storage which is where I put all of my documents, media, and other files.