Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are the most comon security mistakes that newbie VPS users make? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What are the most comon security mistakes that newbie VPS users make?

Comments

• @deadbeef said:
    Does it REALLY matter in single tenant VPSs? ;)

Yes.

• @Jonchun said:
    not disabling root login
    not disabling password logins
    not following step by step guides that tell you how to do above
    following above step by step guides, then claiming they are server admins
    more to come.

Yes, some users don't even respect the minimal configuration in terms of security.

• @Traffic said:
    Yes.

How so?

• Not creating backups. I was burned before 4-5 years.

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited March 2015

@deadbeef said:
    How so?

Example (just an example - actually a 777 directory not really needed)

777 .
     777 index.php
     777 cache [DIR]

hacked index.php > hacker can upload anything to cache directory OR overwrite index.php OR write new files in the current directory...

Convinced yet?

• @Traffic said:
    Convinced yet?

Nope. If I can execute arbitrary code on index.php, I already have the write permissions the web server user has. Doesn't matter if the file is 777 or 600.

Thanked by 1Leechum
  • deadbeef said: I already have the write permissions the web server user has

I never said an attacker would limit himself to public_html files. You can set 777 permissions on any file in the system.

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep
    1. Outdated software packages
    2. Insecure passwords
    3. Nulled software
    4. General laziness
  • @Traffic said:
    I never said an attacker would limit himself to public_html files. You can set 777 permissions on any file in the system.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. I'm sure a ton of newbies set 777 on their /root/.ssh or something...

• @deadbeef said:
    Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. I'm sure a ton of newbies set 777 on their /root/.ssh or something...

You just said if it did matter. It does. Depending on the file? Sure!

But it does.

• Having 123456 as the password is by far the worst.

Thanked by 1Traffic
  • @Traffic said:
    But it does.

Well, in the sense that one should worry about getting hit by a meteorite while crossing the road - sure, it can happen, I guess... Does it make a worthy item on a sec todo list? Nope.

• @deadbeef said:
    Well, in the sense that one should worry about getting hit by a meteorite while crossing the road - sure, it can happen, I guess... Does it make a worthy item on a sec todo list? Nope.

• @Traffic said:

Why did you post your selfies? :|

• @deadbeef I'm not here to talk about what you and your colleagues do at http://x.co/8ehAW

Piscem natare doces...

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited March 2015

@traffic, No need to advertise it - we get it. You're a skid who knows shit about security and tries to be a wise-ass by parroting things you read on some forum and don't get. Alright, it's not like you're a unique snowflake, tons of lq kids around.

• @deadbeef said:

Recognizing the problem is the first step towards recovery. We can't help you if you don't want to help yourself, son.

Stop bashing the world for your problems and start solving them instead.

• Most common mistake is that they buy a VPS.

Thanked by 2Traffic howardsl2
  • blackblack Member

Blindly following tutorials with no knowledge of the OS.

• @nexusrain said:
    You may take a look at my guide about the first 10 things you should do with a Linux server, including securing it: https://www.bitforce.io/linux-server/die-ersten-10-dinge-die-man-mit-einem-linux-server-tun-sollte/

free advertise their website and link to german blog post.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2015

Jonchun said: not disabling root login

Root login doesn't need to be disabled, it doesn't add any real-world security against attackers (just against yourself, if you don't trust yourself to double-check your commands). Using keypair authentication is sufficient.

Makkesk8 said: port 22 :D

Nothing wrong with port 22 either. Again, use keypair authentication.

Thanked by 2Traffic slashmpw
  • TrafficTraffic Member
    edited March 2015

@joepie91 said:
    Nothing wrong with port 22 either. Again, use keypair authentication.

Exact. With password-based login disabled, you can use port 22 without any problems or risks. It's just another inconvenience / way to add "security" by obscurity.

• Primary newbie error is buying VPS in the first turn.

All the rest are inevitable consequences.

Thanked by 1Traffic
  • Newbie VPS users have an excuse, being new and all. I have seen professionals use FTP and unencrypted emails and it's 2015...

However the SSH advice is sound, just create a key and disable password login through SSH. First think I do.

Thanked by 1jbarr
  • @Traffic said:
    Exact. With password-based login disabled, you can use port 22 without any problems or risks. It's just another inconvenience / way to add "security" by obscurity.

Yep. Nothing to do with security, but moving SSH away from port 22 sure does reduce the noise in your logs. But then again, I guess logs are not high on the list of priorities for newbies.

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited March 2015

@elijahpaul said:
    Yep. Nothing to do with security, but moving SSH away from port 22 sure does reduce the noise in your logs. But then again, I guess logs are not high on the list of priorities for newbies.

That is right. But logs noise are not a problem if managed properly.

• Installing Kloxo

Thanked by 1Traffic
  • emgemg Veteran

@elijahpaul said:

I used to give the port 22 SSH logs (sorted by login frequency) to pregnant friends who were searching for baby names. That worked well until one of my friends named her baby "postgres". ;-)

Thanked by 1JustAMacUser
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Oh I missed this thread. Most common security mistake:

"I haven't touched this server in 3 years, if someone got in it's clearly YOUR servers that are insecure!"

Said 10+ clients to me every single day at my previous job...

• @mr2nice2me Is there a problem? It's meant to help and it's getting considered as advertising? Nice idea. And yes, it is in German, but G. Translate will help you or just follow the commands.