Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

R1Soft Compression
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

R1Soft Compression

Hi guys,

Did you know R1soft is an ultimate compress software?
Yesterday i backuped a linux server 38GB -->> compressed version -->> 2GB

So WOW.

Thats all for today for me :D

Comments

• jhjh Member

ZweiTiger said: Did you know R1soft is an ultimate compress software? Yesterday i backuped a linux server 38GB -->> compressed version -->> 2GB

So WOW.

Thats all for today for me :D

>

Doesn't sound right. Did you try opening the backup and looking inside?

• @jhadley said:
    Doesn't sound right. Did you try opening the backup and looking inside?

Yes. Its correct. Checked with disk verified. So its correct actually. Dont know how. But seems okay

• How much space is actually used on this Linux server (df -h) ?

• @rds100 said:
    How much space is actually used on this Linux server (df -h) ?

Actually added 2 server. 2*40GB which is 10GB. But the datas on the servers are empty. Only a fresh linux system + cloudlinux. Nothing more for now. So maybe possible. We shall see what happen if i copy 10000k+ files within the two days :)

• SadySady Member

We had a couple of issues in past with R1Soft, backups were not being completed successfully.
    Now considering & testing cPRemote, lets see how well it goes.

• ZweiTiger said: ultimate compress software

Bet you could get higher compression with a proper compression algorithm (e.g. 7z, etc.). Depending on the data you will see great compression even using the basic huffman tree. :P

On Windows git takes up some 300MB. These files can easily be compress down to 22MB.

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited March 2015

Silvenga said: Depending on the data you will see great compression even using the basic huffman tree. :P

Exact. OP, try to compress a 10GB file full of 0's. You'll be much more surprised :)

EDIT: Actually I just tested it:

dd if=/dev/zero of=700MB.test  bs=1M  count=700

Compressed with 7z. Result:

701M 700MB.test 
    104K 700MB.test.7z

• Has anyone able to use R1soft on VMWare to backup the vmdks? I have a few vmdk totally almost 1TB that is wasting my precious NAS space right now and I'd rather pay for some R1soft backup plans to move those ones over.