Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

North-Holland Power Outage incl Amsterdam
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

North-Holland Power Outage incl Amsterdam

Comments

• I hope it doesn't rain there...

• My rammode and iniz servers located in Ams are replying without issues at the moment

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited March 2015

Everything on here. (INIZ/BWH/WorldStream..)

• TermietTermiet Member
    edited March 2015

There is a major outage caused by a sub-station in Diemen
    https://twitter.com/TenneTTSO/
    update: the national airport is closed as well now, trains to and from the airport are out of service
    This is a major outage, I wonder how long the generators will keep working in the data centres

• BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
    edited March 2015

Just saw this photo on twitter haha:

Thanked by 3Makenai Pwner paily
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Termiet said: I wonder how long the generators will keep working in the data centres

Normally, should cover at least 24 hours.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Maounique said: Termiet said: I wonder how long the generators will keep working in the data centres

Normally, should cover at least 24 hours.

Battery backups takes the initial hit until the diesel engines take over. then it can run "forever" as long as you keep filling the tank with more.

Thanked by 1UrDN
  • @joodle said:

Would you be amused if you were on his/her situation?

• @Traffic said:
    Would you be amused if you were on his/her situation?

As long as it's not raining i wouldn't mind being there :P

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited March 2015
    route   88.208.0.0/21
    descr    Hosting Segment
    origin   AS39572
    mnt-by   ADVANCEDHOSTERS-MNT

advancedhosters.com

• joodle said: Just saw this photo on twitter haha:

Text from a friend: Power's out all over; what are you up to?

Reply: Just hanging.

• Power is back in Hilversum. It's been out for like 30-60 minutes.

• @Traffic said:

route     88.208.0.0/21
    > descr  Hosting Segment
    > origin     AS39572
    > mnt-by     ADVANCEDHOSTERS-MNT

advancedhosters.com

advancedhosters back online

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited March 2015

I have to admit, im impressed by how quick this has been resolved - everything seems stable and fully functional again. props to whoever got it all back up!!

• @joodle said:

I guess you think it was his own fault, right? What a strange sense of humor.

• A lot of vaporizers just went offline.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

No connectivity or power issues for me, about 200 meters from ams-ix.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2015

mikho said: Battery backups takes the initial hit until the diesel engines take over.

Yeah, I meant the diesel fuel should be enough for at least 24 hours full load already in the tank. If the power issue affects a very large area, the pumps dont work also, so you need to have a reserve for at least a day. If the power is out for longer in a town, then we deal with a major catastrophe or nuclear war.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

From the Sky News comments:

sorry, i was using my non-eu approved vaccuum cleaner, i've turned it off now

lol

• Eurovps informed and did backup power on time, no interruption to any servers

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

• nexmarknexmark Member
    edited March 2015

@joodle said:

He's cleaning "Windows"

;)

• Yeah, I was speaking to a colleague in Amsterdam Airport yesterday who said there'd been a massive powercut. Oh dear.

• I wonder what a datacenter would do if the power was off for weeks at a time, like a massive grid issue or something...

• linuxthefish said: I wonder what a datacenter would do if the power was off for weeks at a time, like a massive grid issue or something...

In such a situation i wouldn't worry about the datacenters. I would worry about the whole city being several meters below sea level.

• henkbhenkb Member

I have been in several datacenters in Amsterdam, and they all had multiple contracts with fuel suppliers to supply then with fuel to keep running, but as "rds100" said about the sea level.
    Many (if not ALL) the datacenters in AMS are below sealevel.
    One of the AMS-IX nodes (SARA/NIKHEF) are about 50 meters away from a watercanal that is (guessing) 5 meters higher then the ground where servers are on.

You can see ships going by that are higher then the buildings :)

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@linuxthefish said:
    I wonder what a datacenter would do if the power was off for weeks at a time, like a massive grid issue or something...

Run on diesel as long as needed and as long as their is a supply of it.
    Or the engines were stolen by people who wanted them.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@mavrick said:
    My rammode and iniz servers located in Ams are replying without issues at the moment

Ramnode isn't in Amsterdam, but in Alblasserdam (at Dataplace). It's 15-30 minutes of cycling from where I live, and this region wasn't (directly) affected by the power outage - we're in South Holland :)

@Mark_R said:
    I have to admit, im impressed by how quick this has been resolved - everything seems stable and fully functional again. props to whoever got it all back up!!

Par for the course in the Netherlands. The power here is extremely reliable - this outage was one of the three worst outages that have ever occurred in NL (affecting 1/8th of households), and generally a power (network) outage is an unusual event, that you may only experience a few times in your life at most.