Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lightweight message board software
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Lightweight message board software

Shane_ElmoreShane_Elmore Member
edited September 2012 in General

I've decided to start developing a low-end forum/message board software. You may be asking "but there are too many forums out there already!", however, let me list what I find wrong with today's forum software(s):

-Paid (vBulletin/IPB/XenForo): Costly ($150-200), and latest versions may not be exactly lightweight.
-SMF: The community is basically screaming at each other what they want to do with SMF. There hasn't been a version update since late 2011!
-MyBB: Sure, it's lightweight but lacks some mods. Plus, it probably has lost reputation after they got defaced by "UGNazi".
-phpBB: Ah, the Debian of messageboard software, old and very manual-work intensive.

I won't list PunBB or FluxBB, or any other forum software like that as they probably aren't considered "popular enough", or don't really have a complete mod/theme system.

Anyways, I have come up with a software that will aim at mod/theme support, and in later editions include social features. However, the aim is to not only work well with opcode optimizers (like Xcache and eAccelerator), but use a small amount of RAM and space (around 5-15MB for space, and maybe 500KB-2MB of RAM). Sure it may be a tough task, but I'm taking it! I am also taking it because I am unhappy with today's forum software.

No name has been announced yet, because I have yet to think of one, and I don't want what happened with my LEB provider again: someone registers the domain just because I announced the project name. If you have suggestions, code, or graphics, feel free to provide them.

Feel free to ask questions too. :P

Comments

• MyBB being defaced had nothing to do with security with the forum coding at all. It was a mistake by Chris I believe and someone got a hold of his domain registrar information. So with that being said, I don't think anyone has lost any reputation for MyBB.

I also think you should go take a look at the code for PunBB or FluxBB, you will be surprised how readable and secure it is. People underestimate them way to much, just because they are not "popular" it's not "good", which indeed you're wrong. The reason why they're not popular is because you actually have to "work a little" and open up some .php files to change some things. That is why it will run on a 64mb ram VPS and good luck trying to get vbulletin or IPB running with that much ram with more than 2-5concurrent connections...

Also, you shouldn't talk about branding name on a public forum, if you want to create something like this, keep it to yourself and release it when it's ready. Make the delivery explosive with a beautiful website and everything if you're serious.

IPB, SMF, Vbulletin, XENFORO are so bloated it's not even a joke anymore. I know I will get criticized by saying this, but meh. Heck, I mean go look at big IPB 3.0 FORUM, I bet you more than 90% of the users don't even know how to access the control panel to change a simple setting. Plus, the loads times are absolutely insane. Vbulletin is a little faster, but IPB is going down to shit as a developer standpoint. But it will continue to grow because a lot of new people looking for a forum have no idea how PHP/MYSQL works and think the NEW IPB is just "normal". Which indeed, it's not and it'll make you run a dedicated server just to have a simple community, I kid you not.

(That was kind off-topic to your original post, just had to get that off my chest)

The reason why I didn't say MyBB is because, FreeVPS.us I think is running stock MyBB and that baby is snappier than a billy goat. I also heard the owner runs it on a LEB too, kudos! :)

Just my thoughts,

Cheers

• What's wrong with Vanilla?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I have come up with a software that will aim at mod/theme support, and in later editions include social features.

So it'll support themes and mods before you can use it?

• Never love myBB and phpBB...
    SMF I think it's not a lightweight forum since it have some plugin...
    How about vanilla? It works great..

• I find SMF to be very snappy. I run some large forums with often hundreds of users online on a 1GB/2GB servint VPS.

The default features/settings aren't exactly tuned for performance, but they're easy to change. And regardless of forum software, you should be offloading search to something like Sphinx.