Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need a VPS||Please - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need a VPS||Please

2»

Comments

• The hardware you are buying now will be quite outdated after two years. If you don't cover the cost for the hardware in the first year you are probably going to loose.

• My servers got listed accounting wise as three years. They deprecate down to a value of $100. I still keep the hardware though. Just because it's old doesn't mean it doesn't work.

Parts on the other hand get written off when used. Upgrades add value to the server but they still get written off after three years.

I still have my old Celrons that I bought when I went from leased to bought for. They're stilling at home doing folding and @home projects though.

• drmike said: I still have my old Celrons that I bought when I went from leased to bought for. They're stilling at home doing folding and @home projects though.

And a single Atom D525 can do the work of 4-8 of those Celery chips at a fraction of the cost in electricity. The $80 cost for the motherboard/cpu and couple of bucks for ram would pay for themselves in power savings in a month I bet.

• Just to clarify, the Celrons are sitting at home running @home and folding projects. They are no longer in the racks. The racked servers are custom built duel Intels 2.8-3.2's with 12 gigs of memory. The Celrons were cheap and a good starting server, at least for me. But I ran from them as soon as I could.

I max out though at 225 clients on a server per my agreement with my tech support provider. After that number, the pricing increases both per server as well as per client. They're opinion is that once you start increasing the number of accounts on a server, the server gets overloaded and therefore tickets and support increase.

The $80 cost for the motherboard/cpu and couple of bucks for ram

If I was buying desktop hardware maybe. First one of those dual Intels was $2,100 with the last batch being about $1,200 each.

Of course I can't get the motherboard and chip combo anymore so we'll have to upgrade someday once I start running out of replacements.

• I was talking about the power you are wasting at home. But if you are using those older Xeon single core with HT, the D525 will still spank them around quite a bit, while still getting your maxclient fakery done for the tech support people. SuperMicro has a couple of motherboard/cpu offers for the Atom, with and without IPMI, it's a good path when the day comes to migrate away from your older gear based on your hands being tied by support costs.

• I'm never home and when I am, I'm asleep. My power bill isn't that high.

• Hey friends need some help again
    How is jaguarpc ..Are they reliable and good for a vps ?
    Which is better
    25 GB Disk Space
    512 MB RAM
    2048 MB Burst RAM
    Equal CPU (1 core min.)

or

25 GB Disk Space
    1GB RAM
    1596 MB Burst RAM
    Equal CPU (1 core min.)

or are they nearly equal for website hosting.