Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VIrtualization technology -is it possible? What about free VZ panels?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VIrtualization technology -is it possible? What about free VZ panels?

jvnadrjvnadr Member
edited March 2015 in Help

First of all, I am not willing to be any kind of provider, summer or winter host :-) .
I do not have any experience at all on virtualization technology (how to setup it) nor doing business as a provider and I do not want to (already having a lot to handle with my media -newspaper, news portals, radio station- ventures)!

So, I want some help with this:
Can a virtualization (openVZ I guess) be installed on the top of a vps? I mean, can I install openvz and create new containers on an existing vps?

Also, is there any easy to install and use virtualization panel, besides proxmox? Can it be installed on a VPS?

Regardless of, in any case (vps or bare metal server usage) a tutorial for noobies would be mutch appreciated!

I do not need any kind of commercial panel, or any kind of panel that is supposed to be used for reselling services. All the containers that I want to create will be used only by me.

This is more of learning some things and use them to better organize some of my stuff, not for spreading services left and right.

Comments

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited March 2015

Yes, but personally I don't see benefits.

@Jack can I install KVM on OpenVZ, then install XEN in the KVM with the SolusVM ?

• linuxthefish said: Yes, but personally I don't see benefits

As a scenario, I would like to try spliting a big enough vps with plenty of bandwidth to different and independed containers for streaming purposes (no cpu load at all, just using available bandwidth). And those containers should be completely independed each other for security / administrating reasons.
    And I have some more scenarios. One of them, is learning and playing :-)

• GIANT_CRABGIANT_CRAB Member
    edited March 2015

linuxthefish said: can I install KVM on OpenVZ

no, OVZ is sort of a jailed shell, it is software based virtualisation.

There are benefits to slabbing such as improved stability, etc. For virtualisation-ception to occur, the processor must be able to support it.

You can virtualise things without panels. Panels are just a GUI aid but some panels sort of make things worse.

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2015

@linuxthefish said:
    Jack can I install KVM on OpenVZ, then install XEN in the KVM with the SolusVM ?

openvz doesnt get dedicated cpu cores or kernel control, kvm does so max u can do is pv kind of installations.

• Cut some fast food / eating out of your budget and put $30 towards a dedicated server to play all you want with containers how you wish. Seen too many customers "experiment" on VPS nodes with results they were not anticipating and seem them request so much support on an unmanaged service to get something working for them

• JonchunJonchun Member
    edited March 2015

@doughmanes said:
    Cut some fast food / eating out of your budget and put $30 towards a dedicated server to play all you want with containers how you wish. Seen too many customers "experiment" on VPS nodes with results they were not anticipating and seem them request so much support on an unmanaged service to get something working for them

The fact that he's asking HERE instead of at his server host should have already signaled to you that the OP is ready to learn and not just sit there and bother his host. A $30 server to play with containers is fine, but it won't solve his issue at the end of the day, which is to try virtualizing inside a virtualized environment.

@jvnadr
    I'd recommend just learning how to do it by hand over CLI. There's a lot of guides out there and it's really just copy-pasting some stuff. As long as all of these containers are only for you, I don't see any reason why you need a panel (unnecessary overhead)

• Jonchun said: A $30 server to play with containers is fine, but it won't solve his issue at the end of the day, which is to try virtualizing inside a virtualized environment.

Bro can virtualize within virtualization on his own hardware

• JonchunJonchun Member
    edited March 2015

@doughmanes said:
    Bro can virtualize within virtualization on his own hardware

what's the point of paying more for dedicated hardware and virtualizing it instead of just renting a vps in the first place.

• edited March 2015

No problem for OpenVZ VPS inside KVM/Xen VPS.

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • wilbowilbo Member

I have a server running ProxMox. I want to make OVZ templates and Proxmox does not have an option to make templates. I made a KVM VPS with Centos 6 and installed OVZ Web Panel on it. I now make OVZ containers with OVZ Web Panel. I still haven't got the template feature to work correctly, but I'm working on it. So yes, you can install a hypervisor on a VPS and it will work, just make sure you have more IP numbers.

• @jvnadr said:
    And I have some more scenarios. One of them, is learning and playing :-)

Docker is what you're looking for.

• earlearl Member
    edited March 2015

jvnadr said: Also, is there any easy to install and use virtualization panel, besides proxmox? Can it be installed on a VPS?

Why not proxmox? it's pretty easy to use.. and you can install proxmox on top of a Debian install so you don't need to request a custom iso to be loaded.

Here is a guide incase you are interested:

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Wheezy

wilbo said: I have a server running ProxMox. I want to make OVZ templates and Proxmox does not have an option to make templates

I think the backup and restore feature is pretty much the same thing..

You can also create a backup of the OVZ container with the gzip option then move the newly created file from
    /var/lib/vz/dump
    to
    var/lib/vz/template/cache

You just have to make sure to rename the file following the same template naming convention as the other OVZ template..

eg:

debian-7.0-standard_7.0-2_i386.tar.gz

nameOfOS-VersionOfOS-name_ReleaseVersion_Type.tar.gz

If you don't follow the naming scheme then the template wont show in the drop down list when you try to create a new CT..

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • FrankZFrankZ Veteran

@jvnadr - openVZ inside of a KVM or XEN/HVM VPS will work fine for what you are talking about and is not too hard a way to start. As a suggestion, you want a VPS with four vcores, 1GB (or more) RAM, 2 (or more) IPv4, and the fastest disk I/O you can get.(MCHPhil comes to mind)

What O/S would you prefer to work with?

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • doughmanes said: Cut some fast food / eating out of your budget and put $30 towards a dedicated server to play all you want with containers how you wish. Seen too many customers "experiment" on VPS nodes with results they were not anticipating and seem them request so much support on an unmanaged service to get something working for them

Nice advice. Exactly what I asked for. Well, mate, I already have some dedis and I use them for real work. As of your clients, did you ever see me "experiment" a vps and abusing a node? Of course, not. Because I know how to handle a vps or a node, I can realize when I use too much cpu or resources.
    @it when someone here asks a technical question about learning things, insulting him the way "cut some fast food / eating out".

earl said: Why not proxmox? it's pretty easy to use.. and you can install proxmox on top of a Debian install so you don't need to request a custom iso to be loaded.

I installed proxmox in a dedi, I still have issues I'm trying to learn how to deal with. Besides that, I saw some other free panels there that seem easier and lighter than Proxmox and I would like to know if anyone here is using them (e.g. ovz web panel).

deadbeef said: Docker is what you're looking for.

How's that? I thought Docker is not a container but a virtual environment for creating apps, with limited features compared to a virtual server.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited March 2015

FrankZ said: openVZ inside of a KVM or XEN/HVM VPS will work fine for what you are talking about and is not too hard a way to start. As a suggestion, you want a VPS with four vcores, 1GB (or more) RAM, 2 (or more) IPv4, and the fastest disk I/O you can get.(MCHPhil comes to mind)

What O/S would you prefer to work with?

I'm usually using Ubuntu/Debian and occasionally Centos. Also, I have in mind to try to create ipv6 only containers, or a mix of (e.g. a couple of containers with ipv4 and another couple only with ipv6).
    In my research I saw that creating an OpenVZ container (without panel) would not be a resource hog (of course it depends of the actual usage of the container, as in any vps). So, RAM or I/Os has to do with the actual usage of the newly created vps, or no? If the vps inside the vps is idle, then don't you need minimum resources? (For example, if I run a anginx-rtmp instance for restraming video in a small 128 box, the load is always 0.02-0.03 and the memory consumption is lower than 70-80MB of RAM).
    What is the load to a vps (let's say with the specs you wrote) if I install there an openvz container?

• @jvnadr said:
    How's that? I thought Docker is not a container but a virtual environment for creating apps, with limited features compared to a virtual server.

You mentioned you wanted isolated environments for streaming. I assumed by streaming you mean "configure a set of apps to do X within a container". Docker can do that.

• deadbeef said: You mentioned you wanted isolated environments for streaming. I assumed by streaming you mean "configure a set of apps to do X within a container". Docker can do that.

I haven't play with docker ever, but in my limited knowledge you cannot install, let's say, a fresh instance of nginx there, or do you?

• @jvnadr said:
    I haven't play with docker ever, but in my limited knowledge you cannot install, let's say, a fresh instance of nginx there, or do you?

Sure you can.

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited March 2015

Adding an openVZ kernel to a KVM VPS will not create any more load by itself. Adding Proxmox or other heavy panel will. Adding an openVZ container inside a KVM will not reduce the performance of the container more then a couple %. It is not noticeable. You are only adding the base (node) system in addition to the containers, so there are more processes running. If all your containers use very little resources then you need less resources. But if one container is hogging the only core then the other containers will lag unless you adjust your configuration accordingly.

EDIT You can NAT your containers as well

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • earlearl Member

jvnadr said: I installed proxmox in a dedi, I still have issues I'm trying to learn how to deal with. Besides that, I saw some other free panels there that seem easier and lighter than Proxmox and I would like to know if anyone here is using them (e.g. ovz web panel).

What problems? I'm sure if you post it someone will give a solution.. I install proxmox on pretty much all my Dedi's and KVM VPS.. works great even on a 256MB VPS.

I tried ovz web panel just briefly, it was ok too but still prefer proxmox.

• RalliasRallias Member
    edited March 2015

GIANT_CRAB said: For virtualisation-ception to occur, the processor must be able to support it.

Not necessarily. Current OpenVZ kernels are built with Xen-PV compatibility, which does not require VMX/SVM technologies.

jvnadr said: What is the load to a vps (let's say with the specs you wrote) if I install there an openvz container?

In all reality, OpenVZ ON ITS OWN will only add about .5-1% overhead. The virtualization technology that your host uses adds more overhead.

Also, if you wanted to use an OpenVZ host VPS, you could ask the host to enable docker.

• linuxthefish said: can I install KVM on OpenVZ

You could always install qemu on OpenVZ, but well, other than experimenting I doubt anyone would want to do that.