Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Web Hosting for several sites
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Web Hosting for several sites

Hi,
After previously being on a self managed VPS, my Father decided to move all his domains to HostPapa hosting. I agreed because it gave him Cpanel as an interface and I would not have to manage it after some training.

How wrong I was, CPanel requires all hosted sites to have their DNS hosted causing a lot of issues.

While at the start the website was very fast over the last couple of months the website can take up to 30 seconds to load (no changes have been made to the website). Hostpapa decline to look at the issue as it could be caused by an image larger than 50kb (all images were less than 10kb).

Since MS support PHP, I will move the most important site to Azure, but the other sites will still have the issue of slow access. The other sites will require at least three php sites, one email site (if I can get around activesync it would be appreciated as most people on these domains use Windows Phones).

What I am asking is that I have already moved one domain to Office365, do I need to do the others as they will never use the MS technology.

Thanks,

Zell72

Comments

• belinikbelinik Member
    edited March 2015

zell72 said: CPanel requires all hosted sites to have their DNS hosted causing a lot of issues.

not understanding this... but i think you are mistaken about DNS. cpanel has built in dns server you can use, whenever you create a subdomain they will automatically edit the DNS entry. Or you can just use your own dns server(or cloudflare, most domain registrar provide free dns server last i checked.)

you def chose the wrong company to host, a simple search on hostpapa indicate how much unloved customer there are, and sounds like way oversold. I would say move asap... depends on budget look at buyshared(buyvm's brand) to something pricier(downtownhost, crocweb and hawkhost comes to mind).

M$ looks very expensive once you bypass the free tier...

• 1) cPanel doesn't require DNS hosted with it. You can easily point an A record. Host Papa may have been giving some bullshit reasoning if they said they "couldn't" host your domains.

2) Just pick a different host. Why move to Microsoft?

• @zell72 - You honestly just choose the wrong company to host with... From what current clients who switched have told me, the support over there is nonexistent when trying to actually clear up an issue. They would rather just push you off for BS reasons and keep your money.

Lets see if I can help though :)

"CPanel requires all hosted sites to have their DNS hosted causing a lot of issues." - I think someone lied to you :/ ... cPanel has a built in DNS server that will automatically configure things you setup. It's one of the most simplest setups for new clients and rarely causes any issues. With that said though you are NOT bound by the DNS zone and can easily have your DNS managed elsewhere..... May I ask where you managed the DNS on the VPS you had?

As for the loading issue, that sounds 100% like it went from "underloaded" to "overloaded" over the few months you were with them.

PHP is going to be supported by 99.99% of hosts so you don't have to worry about that. I would also advise against hosting all your domains on MS service...support isn't going to be the "best" either with them in my honest opinion.

Have you looked into any other hosts? Possibly a reseller account for the multiple domains?

• Actually, now that I think about it I think what he meant by cPanel forces DNS is the cPanel option where the domain needs to resolve to the proper nameservers/A record for addon domains or whatnot. (pretty sure some hosts use this)

• I don't quite get it, what has DNS got to do with site loading too slow? Either it resolves or it doesn't, period. More likely to be bandwidth / server issue

• @zell72 I use cPanel for several e-commerce sites and the DNS is being hosted by dnsmadeeasy.com, mail with RackSpace or Google Apps., and everything is working great.

One of my provider is @Nick_A / RamNode. I have one 2gig VPS with with a cPanel license from them. I highly recommend them.

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing. Good luck with your setup.