Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Edis VRS Micro running Ubuntu 10.04 doesn't like to apt-get upgrade...
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Edis VRS Micro running Ubuntu 10.04 doesn't like to apt-get upgrade...

FreekFreek Member
edited September 2012 in General

I am trying to run an apt-get upgrade on my freshly installed Edis VRS Micro running Ubuntu 10.04, but it doesn't feel like doing that.
First I had to add a new sources.list because it didn't recognize all package, such as mc, so I did:

mv /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.bak

nano /etc/apt/sources.list

copy the following in to the new sources.list

deb http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid main restricted universe
deb http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-security main restricted universe
deb http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates main restricted universe

apt-get update and apt-get upgrade

(Credits to @AnthonySmith).

But it keeps getting stuck on the apt-get update process:

I've done it several times now, at least 4 times, but no joy.

Here's all what is going to be upgraded:

Any idea what's causing this?

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@Freek try doing the perl package on their own first and try again?

Also, 64bit and how much ram?

• I am more thinking along the line of disk space, try paste the output of free -m and df -h for us to help you please.

• Yeah those Micro accounts only have 1GB disk...

• Its probably disk space - I've done this upgrade in 128MB. Are you sure its totally hung and not just being very slow?

A really dirty fix would be to apt-get clean (free up some space), and purge any packages you can get away with while you're at it. Then mount some extra space (I was thinking of sshfs) at /var/cache/apt/archives (it'll need a subdirectory called partial too).

This will stop the downloaded debs waiting to be installed eating up all your disk space. Its will be slow as hell, but I've done this locally with NFS on embedded stuff.

• Also @William (and co) - why no 12.04 template?

• Linux-VServer does not support 12.04.

• Why not just use screen to run it at the background?

• @William ah, that'll do it :)

• I've got this issue on a leb(96MB RAM) also, not at EDIS. I have to disable every service (/etc/init.d/{ssh,cron,lighttpd,munin-node}. Otherwise the upgrade hangs inbetween and I have to do a apt-get -f install / dpkg-reconfigure -a

For the cleanup / some tips for dpkg/apt: https://raymii.org/cms/p_Debian_packages_cleanup_commands

• I'm also having problem when using Ubuntu 10.04 in the VRS Smart.
    So I change to Debian 6 32 bit

• FreekFreek Member
    edited September 2012

Thanks for the tremendous amount of replies guys <3 !

@AnthonySmith: I tried the perl package on it's own, it updates fine. I tried to do the cron package on it's own as well, but it got stuck on it again. So it seems like the cron package is preventing the VPS to update.

I am currently running 32 bit, but the 64 bit variant has the exact same issue. I have 128MB of RAM and 2GB of Diskspace.

@zhuany:
    root@golf:~# free -m total used free shared buffers cached Mem: 128 38 89 0 0 0 -/+ buffers/cache: 37 90 Swap: 0 0 0

root@golf:~# df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/hdv1 2.0G 310M 1.7G 16% / none 16M 0 16M 0% /tmp

So diskspace doesn't seem to be the issue...

@shaunpud No, the KVM has 1GB. OpenVZ has 2GB.

@cosmicgate said: Why not just use screen to run it at the background?

How would that solve anything? It will get stuck too in the background.

Thanks in advance.

• Perhaps try wget'ing the package from the repo and try a manual dpkg -i to see if you get a different result.

If its hanging and you want to confirm its doing something, try installing (oh, the irony) iptstate to watch network connections (for the apt-get) and strace the process to see if it's getting stuck somewhere (and if/when it does, what the preceding system calls were).

• @Freek said: No, the KVM has 1GB. OpenVZ has 2GB.

Not sure if that's a typo, but VRS is not OpenVZ. Its Linux VServer. That's a different approach in virtualisation.

• @Freek any progress?

• @raymii I haven't found the time yet to try @craigb 's suggestion. I'll try to do is this evening, else tomorrow evening.

@japon that's indeed a typo. You are correct, it should be v server.

Thanked by 1joepie91

If you have narrowed it down to one package then @craigb suggestion will probably work, sounds a bit like the the filesystem centos yum update issue from about 6 months ago.

Failing that I am sure those nice people at edis will give you a short term upgrade to get it ran :)

• Is it hanging while doing a dpkg-reconfigure behind the scenes? I had a similar problem with cron and dpkg-reconfigure; the root issue was actually a bug in debconf (which has since been fixed in wheezy) which is triggered by cron's dpkg:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/debconf/+bug/198421

My workaround was just to apt-get remove cron temporarily, finish the update and run dpkg-reconfigure -a, and then reinstall cron. (or just forget about cron, and free up another 3.5MB of memory!)

• I am sorry for the delay in reply. I have been extremely busy the past few days with other, sadly more important stuff. I am still having trouble finding a good balance between all my daily obligations and leisure/hobbies ;)

@craigb said: Perhaps try wget'ing the package from the repo and try a manual dpkg -i to see if you get a different result.

I am having trouble finding out the URL of the cron repo. Is this it?
    http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/c/cron-apt/

@seanho said: My workaround was just to apt-get remove cron temporarily, finish the update and run dpkg-reconfigure -a, and then reinstall cron. (or just forget about cron, and free up another 3.5MB of memory!)

Cron is seriously messed up on my vServer. I can't even remove/uninstall it! It gets stuck on 'Removing cron'.

I'll setup ipstate tomorrow to take a look if it's doing something behind the scenes. Off to bed now, quite tired.

• If apt-get gets stuck removing cron, you could also try directly using dpkg -r cron.

All the best!

• @seanho said: If apt-get gets stuck removing cron, you could also try directly using dpkg -r cron.

All the best!

It even gets stuck at removing cron! What kind of sorcery is this!?

• Hmm, it might be hanging at the prerm / postrm script for cron. If dpkg thinks it's partially installed, you could try 'dpkg -r --force-remove-reinstreq' or 'dpkg -C' to try to correct the broken install.

If the hang is in either prerm or postrm (possibly due to reading from a bad file descriptor), you can manually remove the script from, e.g., /var/lib/dpkg/info/cron.prerm, and then do the force remove as above.

Oh, you may also consider '-P' (purge) instead of '-r' (remove) if you want to also delete cron's config files.

(Disclaimer: I haven't tried any of this myself!)