Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Snowshow spammers and "low end" server providers - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Snowshow spammers and "low end" server providers

13»

Comments

• @SumGuy you cannot claim that operate a tech company and use 15 years old email server software .... It is very bad for marketing in eyes of common people tech companies got to use what is edge on the market ...

Any way at lest run something like these setup http://technotes.trostfamily.org/?p=4

even it is six years old suggested setup all software is supported and open source and you will have no more than now spams than now blocking 80% of ip4 ranges

• @doughmanes said:
    Maybe he's the father of the guy with the hosting company who goes out of town / vacation like every 6 weeks and the subject of regular posts about it

And you need to keep order ticket open to receive a provision of you server cause if system close it he will no notice ;)

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • Hmm. Op. Dumb and Dumber

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • @doughmanes said:
    joke about not being able to get security updates for post.office

Post.office (originally from software.com, aquired by openwave and killed shortly afterward) has no known security vulnerabilities (as per my own experience, and by secunia.org). I've been running it on the same server for 15 years (yes - NT4, on a NAT'd connection, port-25 forwarded to it, otherwise it's not directly accessible from the internet).

• Please just stop.

• "real" mail servers know to fall back to the
    A record if MX lookup fails

>

Are you sure about that?. Which RFC was that?
    Maybe in 1995, I don't know.

From wikipedia (mx record):

===========

RFC 974 deprecated the MD and MF records, replaced them with MX, and defined the MX lookup with fallback to A. Under the circumstances, MX without fallback to A wouldn't have worked because of the substantial installed base of mail servers using A records.

To my knowledge, there is no subsequent RFC that removed the requirement to fallback to the A record.

Gmail, for example, I would call a "real" mail server
    and it certainly does no such thing

I can certainly tell you, back in January through at least August of 2006, that (1) we had a different (new) static IP then we had previously, (2) we had no mx record, and (3) we were receiving email from all previous senders with no interruption. If gmail was functional at that time, then that included gmail.

It seems like you really don't want customers.

Like I've said 3 times now, anyone who is serious about acquiring our products will not let something like a trivial mail-delivery failure/rejection stop them from contacting us using alternative methods. Like (gasp!) something called a "telephone call". Our stuff isin't bought by the public. Only bio/life-science companies, research institutions, universities, drug and medical device companies, etc. So I can be very heavy-handed in blocking vast amounts of IP space, because I have 10+ years of accumulated contact with past customers (and yes, many of their IP's or IP allocations haven't changed).

• @AnthonySmith said:
    SumGuy you are clearly out of your depth, you don't know what your doing

So the fact that we've been sending and receiving email since 1999, using the same server and smtp software, must be just an illusion eh?

you just do a good impression to the people that pay you I suppose.

I'm the owner of the company. Don't you read? I've already posted that. Who else would care so much about this topic to be posting on a sunday night?

• timnboystimnboys Member
    edited March 2015

@SumGuy said:

Oh Sumguy I would like to just point blank tell you what everyone else has been trying to tell you this isn't the place to report this.
    report it to the provider via email not this forum
    I don't care how much you think you know all about your "customers" you need to update to the 21st century because everything has changed now all you seem to be doing is being stuck in a wonderland that doesn't exist anymore in the past!
    as I was trying to tell you please stop complaining about your so called "rented servers" problem as no one cares what it seems to me is you don't like the extra work of having to go through big logs just filled with your so called "garbage" to get to what you wanted to get to....listen buddy it seems like you want your work made easy for you so you can just take a quick look through the logs and say I am done I will go back and play video games...that is what it seems like and let me tell you I have had to look through bigger logs then you are complaining about yes I am saying you appear lazy and complaining that these "rented servers" are causing you to have to get up and do your job.
    let me tell you buddy IT isn't easy and it is certainly no place for lazy work etic people
    like you and by the way I feel sorry for the company in general if you are the one running it as you are about to be out of business if you keep on living in your wonderland that hasn't existed since the 90's
    I am a certified computer tech and also a IT professional and it upsets me you think IT is going to be made easy for you.
    sorry I had to get that rant out.
    sorry if it was too harsh but I had to get it out.

• @Microlinux said:
    SumGuy you cannot claim that operate a tech company and use 15 years old email server software .... It is very bad for marketing in eyes of common people tech companies got to use what is edge on the market ...

You have got to be joking. Hardly anyone has the ability or the inclination to look at the full headers of the email they receive, parse them properly, and then make a judgement as to the "tech savvy-ness" of the people running the company where the email came from. Something like that is so far out in left field to be laughably ridiculous.

We are in life science tech. Not email / server tech field. The people in our field barely know how to turn on a laptop running windows. If they can send and receive email with us, they're happy and we're happy. They don't give a crap what software we run in our office or on our servers.

• ATHKATHK Member

Sigh, could of saved yourself a lot of typing by just emailing the abuse@ address.

Thanked by 2netomx matthewvz
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

With the amount of hostility in this thread from all sides it's understandable why nothing will get resolved. Maybe a mod can help move this thread along because it's pretty evident what the final outcome will be.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @KuJoe said:
    With the amount of hostility in this thread from all sides it's understandable why nothing will get resolved. Maybe a mod can help move this thread along because it's pretty evident what the final outcome will be.

Well with all humiliation done the root of his problem is basically what the provider(cloudshards said before) just email him at his abuse email and be done with it.
    you cannot stop what other companies are doing period if they refuse to handle spam and abuse complaints its not your problem so you shouldn't worry about it as "it is what it is" no one is going to change unless they want to.
    so you cannot post a thread like this and expect people to change neither can you expect providers either.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@timnboys Agreed.

• This range by QF is completely fried https://www.senderbase.org/lookup/?search_string=107.182.128.0/21

Looks like they need to implement a better anti-abuse system..

• VortexChris said: Looks like they need to implement a better anti-abuse system..

Nobody cares. They are waiting for someone to report to abuse@.

:)

• @VortexChris said:
    This range by QF is completely fried https://www.senderbase.org/lookup/?search_string=107.182.128.0/21

Looks like they need to implement a better anti-abuse system..

Welp there goes any credibility they had... While this thread is still useless, QF needs to get to work as well.

• SumGuy said: Many of those actually come from gmail and some from hotmail and yahoo servers (which we can't block, at least not by IP, because some of our customers and many new prospects seem to use those corn-ball web-mail services for some reason).

Perhaps this is because their custom-hosted mail server is hosted in a datacentre whose IP range/s you've decided to block. ;)

• @SumGuy Why not just block /8 of cloudshards and call it a day? Assuming anyone with half a brain wont be your employee / client you are free to block the IP ranges of all the offer threads ( 4500+ only) here and bid farewell.

Anyway thanks for dropping by, you are a rare breed in the tech industry

• Jonchun said: Welp there goes any credibility they had... While this thread is still useless, QF needs to get to work as well.

This will be addressed immediately. Thanks for the heads up.

• VortexChrisVortexChris Member
    edited March 2015

@eLohkCalb said:
    :)

So you're telling me it's not the responsibility of a company to proactively monitor for abuse? That's just stupid and ignorant.

That's like saying that if a crime isn't reported to a police officer, they don't have to deal it.

• @VortexChris said:
    That's like saying that if a crime isn't reported to a police officer, they don't have to deal it.

Not sure where you're located, but that's pretty much how it works in America?

• JonchunJonchun Member
    edited March 2015

@concerto49 said:
    We actively address spam abuse reports. Please do send it to [email protected] as indicated. Thanks!

Ok? According to them, they have some sort of abuse team. They are probably also responsible for proactive measures as well.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

SumGuy said: Post.office (originally from software.com, aquired by openwave and killed shortly afterward) has no known security vulnerabilities (as per my own experience, and by secunia.org).

That's not how security works.

Thanked by 1lbft
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Waking up and reading this topic gave me a headache. The abuse report to QF has been acknowledged so this thread has run its course.
    If you want to talk about old mailservers, cest pit or someplace else.

Thanked by 1netomx
This discussion has been closed.