Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Few Dedicated Servers Question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Few Dedicated Servers Question

Steven_FSteven_F Member
edited March 2015 in General

Question One

We're preparing to deploy a few x3470's and I was curious which configuration you would prefer:

x3470

8 GB of ECC RAM

1 TB HDD (Server/Enterprise Grade)

or

x3470

4 GB of ECC RAM

2 TB HDD (Server/Enterprise Grade)

Assuming that on either config, the upgrade to the other better component (4 --> 8 GB or 1 TB --> 2 TB) costs the same, which would you prefer?

Question Two

Given one of the above configurations, would you prefer the x3470 at $40 a month or the following configuration at $50 a month?:

Dual L5520

16 GB of RAM

1 TB or 2 TB HDD (To Be Determined)

Server Question
  1. x3470 Preference57 votes
    1. 8 GB RAM + 1 TB HDD
      75.44%
    2. 4 GB RAM + 2 TB HDD
      24.56%
  2. Which server config would you prefer?57 votes
    1. x3470 at $40 a month
      45.61%
    2. Dual L5520 at $50 a month
      54.39%

Comments

• Would the L5520's and x3470s have hardware raid and would several harddrives be purchasable?

Depending on if they had raid or not and the cost of addons plus IPs and such would probably be a big factor.

Personally I would go with the L5520s if 2TB + 16GB ram at $50 and a couple ips thrown in or purchasable for a reasonable price... just because I love powerhouse servers at a low cost...

I presume both would be on gigabit shared connection as well so from then on it'd be down to the peering and location being offered at.

Regardless both are decent deals.

• Steven_F said: Dual L5520

16 GB of RAM
    1 TB or 2 TB HDD (To Be Determined)

If you swapped the 1 or 2 TB HDD with dual 120gb ssd, you'd win me over as a customer.

• @KwiceroLTD said:

Yeah... No thanks. We're not even offering 120 GB SSDs. 256 GB+ only, toots.

We could always get a RAID card, but I don't see the point for most clients. Both servers have four hotswap bays. They will be on 100 Mbps ports. But, 1 Gbps separate private networking is being rolled out in a few weeks. ;)

• Steven_F said: 256 GB+ only, toots.

I'll take it, the more the better. What cost?

• @Steven_F said:
    We could always get a RAID card, but I don't see the point for most clients. Both servers have four hotswap bays. They will be on 100 Mbps ports. But, 1 Gbps separate private networking is being rolled out in a few weeks. ;)

Figured I'd mention raid as some people want it especially if cPanel or vps node or something.

Regardless some sweet pricing... personally I'd love to see more sub $15 servers but there's barely any money to make in colocating them...

Seriously though good luck. Nice to see some decent storage sizes to be offered with these...

• I can't start a summer host with a 100Mbps port and only one drive...

• @linuxthefish said:
    I can't start a summer host with a 100Mbps port and only one drive..

$20 says you can!

$15 servers? In Los Angeles? If I do that, you'll know I'm going crazy!

@KwiceroLTD said:

$10 setup fee. It might be a few extra a month on all of the sub $50 servers.

• @Steven_F - Delimiter offered both at one time. The x3470 were very sluggish in sales where as L5520 fly off the shelf. Part of the reason is memory limitation, half speed bus and also you have have two L5520 so more cores/threads per system.

• CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep

Definately the L5520s with 2TB + 16GB ram at $50. More memory for $10 extra. Do you intend to use RAID?

• @Steven_F said:
    $10 setup fee. It might be a few extra a month on all of the sub $50 servers.

I get what you're saying man but I'm just saying. I want to see more sub $15 in general tbh. Your offers are really amazing though.

• Steven_F said: $20 says you can!

$20 is more than I was paid for installing a similar system for Mr Fabozzi.

• Is it SATA or SAS hard drive on the server?

• @MarkTurner said:

I'd like to take a moment to thank both @MarkTurner and @QPS. They're both great assets to the community that are always willing to share information and help out. A lot of people will not volunteer information ever, but these two always help out.

@Rallias said:
    $20 is more than I was paid for installing a similar system for Mr Fabozzi.

Yeah, it should only take you a few minutes to rack the server...

• Steven_F said: Yeah, it should only take you a few minutes to rack the server...

Software, not hardware.

• Steven_F said: Yeah, it should only take you a few minutes to rack the server...

Assuming server gets shipped - you'd also need to collect the package, unpack it in the staging area (which might all be far away) and then access the cabinet f or racking. You might need security clearance as you enter (even with a permanent access card). This can all take time - a lot more than a few minutes.

• @concerto49 said:

I'm not too familiar with how ColoCrossing operates, but I think it's safe to assume that they order in bulk and the handling is done at a different stage. I believe most stuff is then stored and built in their datacenter, but I could be wrong.

• I believe Colocrossing has their own facility in NJ, so they won't have to go through that much rigamarole. The difference between operating your own facility and renting space in someone elses is that your rules apply. No drama with access cards and someone checking that you've paid your bill to get access to your equipment.

So if you're building a rack, most operators will have a building environment, build up the rack and then after testing/configuring, just wheel it into the datacentre for power up and hand over.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2015

@Steven_F I don't know if the X34xx series are really worth it unless you have them in stock already or can get them for really cheap. Most of the ones I've seen vendors offering have limited RAM included and upgrading it makes it too expensive.

The Dual L5420/L5520 systems are out there for cheap and are a much better buy.

• @qps said:
    Steven_F I don't know if the X34xx series are really worth it unless you have them in stock already or can get them for really cheap. Most of the ones I've seen vendors offering have limited RAM included and upgrading it makes it too expensive.

The Dual L5420/L5520 systems are out there for cheap and are a much better buy.

We've got very good pricing. We're going to buy the vendor out of their X3470's this week.

• There are plenty of good deals on X3470 hardware, the market is flooded with them, they seem to range on Supermicro/Dell end at $100 upto $140 for HP/Lenovo.

As QPS points out - L5520 is a better system, more expandable (translation customer can order more addons so more profitable).

But cost of operation is too high because customers are locked into a limited system. Its like an E3-1230 but without the performance. Also you need dirt cheap power, they are not economical systems to run. I would be running that type of system in LA, power is too expensive as well as real-estate. You want each U to generate a minimum level of profitability.

I see in your sig that you are bundling RE4's with them, again buy carefully on those. We have a colo customer who build a storage system out of recently purchased a few hundred RE4's (second hand), failure rate was astronomical. There seems to be a couple of vendors who have cornered the market in second hand RE4 (2TB/3TB) and seeing them dirt cheap.

Thanked by 1Steven_F
  • @MarkTurner said:

We've got some very competitive pricing on power, so I'm not worried about that too much. I see what you're saying. Luckily, we've gotten dirt-cheap RAM additions for the servers from the vendor, so we do have upgrades available (16 and 32 GB). I'll keep an eye out on the RE4's and if I see any failures, we'll pop over to Hitachi.

• LA has the 8th highest electricity cost in the nation. I think we pay about 11.5c/KWH which is still crazy money. If you head north of San Fran, prices drop < 10c

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

Yeah, be careful if you are buying RE4s. We bought a bunch of them from a vendor and they were all out of region, so Western Digital is giving us a hard time about honoring the warranty. They basically will do it, but cut the remaining warranty to 120 days from the RMA, even though there are years left on the original warranty.