Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenSolaris / OpenIndiana / illumos development VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenSolaris / OpenIndiana / illumos development VPS

classyclassy Member
edited March 2015 in Requests

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone sells VPS (zones or fully virtualized) with OpenSolaris. I want to give developing for OpenSolaris a shot after developing for Linux for years.

Any specs is fine, as long as it boots and allows me to compile simple stuff. Budget? Just shopping around, not really looking for high uptime or high specs so I'll probably go cheap on this one.

Thanks.

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Are any of those OSes still supported? OpenSolaris died in 2009 and the last update I see for OpenIndiana was 2013.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

You really don't want Solaris , trust me

• @KuJoe said:
    Are any of those OSes still supported? OpenSolaris died in 2009 and the last update I see for OpenIndiana was 2013.

It is. They all use the illumos kernel (= compatibility) and illumos and OpenIndiana are maintained by a committee. Triggers for trying Solaris are OmniOS, SmartOS (Joyent's virtualization solution) and the likes.

I don't know what distro to go with so decided to just go with OpenIndiana and learn about the architecture / kernel as I go and switch distros if desirable.

I heard the Solaris Zones have become pretty nice with Joyent's efforts and that the illumos networking performance is really good for virtualization / isolation of applications.

• @Awmusic12635 said:
    You really don't want Solaris , trust me

You will have to argue that with the many people maintaining Solaris production environments. Needs other than your own do exist.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Microlinux said: You will have to argue that with the many people maintaining Solaris production environments. Needs other than your own do exist.

You are right it is my own personal opinion. I worked in an environment for a while that had many production solaris servers and very much disliked it. Everyone was overjoyed they were making the jump to redhat. But as I said, my own opinion and experience.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2015

I agree with @Awmusic12635 100%. We used to be primarily Solaris at my day job (in terms of *nix that is) and within 2 years they eliminated all of the Solaris boxes except for 3 (2 of which will be gone in less than 3 months) with only one being left due to licensing limitations. RedHat is so much cheaper and plays nicely in an ESXi environment.

• Slugaris still has its place, our ATM (not as in cash machine) management system was never ported from HPOV/Slugaris so we are stuck with it. In fact it still runs on an E6500, Solaris 2.6 and been running nearly 17 years.

• @Awmusic12635 said: I worked in an environment for a while that had many production solaris servers and very much disliked it.

I would tend to agree with that, it's not particularly shiny - just wanted to point out there are entrenched markets for aspiring developers.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Heck, there are still cobol people around.

• While I like to stay out of the pro or anti ***Solaris discussion I'd like to point the OP to OpenSXCE which is a nicely done free "OpenSolaris" for both intel and (ultra and better) Sparc. Can also be used for desktop and supports I think Ice and Gnome.

• lazytlazyt Member

Is it still active? I know the developer was talking about quitting.

Yes you're right Gnome and IceWM are supported.

• Its been a while since I seen Solaris in the wild, good to see its still hanging in there a bit.

Can you not just run OpenIndiana inside a KVM virtual machine? If so, most of us around here should be able to assist by adding the ISO and allowing you to install it to meet your needs.

I highly doubt anyone will have a template for it.

• @lazyt said:
    Is it still active? I know the developer was talking about quitting.

Oh well, that matter seems to come up frequently but from what I see in the end he stuck to it and kept working on it. It also seems he is a somewhat troubled but very nice guy who should be supported.

And, yes, I'm a happy user of OpenSXCE.

• lazytlazyt Member

Cool I'll have to download another image and fire up a VM.