Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Setting up server on remote network as local SAMBA host
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Setting up server on remote network as local SAMBA host

Is there some way I can setup a remote SAMBA server to be accessed using a local IP on the network for discovery? The SAMBA server is currently accessible using an IP from a different subnet from the local network thanks to OSPF running on the main network gateway.

Currently, I use a pfSense gateway for all traffic on the local network, so I assume that I can simply setup a GRE tunnel to the server? (The GRE tunnel will be performed through an existing OpenVPN link)

Comments

• @StartledPhoenix said:
    a local IP on the network for discovery?

By discovery do you mean so it appears in the network neighbourhood and via WINS etc. If so and you have a local SAMBA server on your subnet, look at the 'remote announce' configuration option for smb.conf it will then register using its remote address, no need for fake local address trickery.

remote announce = 192.168.123.123/MyWorkGroup

• @cochon said:

Yes, that is what I mean.

Unfortunately, there is no SAMBA server on the network. I will see if I can set it up on pfSense (main network gateway) when I get home.

• @StartledPhoenix said:
    there is no SAMBA server on the network.

In theory it will announce to the subnet broadcast address

remote announce = 192.168.123.255/MyWorkGroup

... and so register with anything that's listening, but I never had much success with this back in the Samba V2 Win-XP days, and have since always announced to a dedicated browse master, it might work better these days.

• Thanks!

The using remote announce on the local server and setting the WINS server on the remote server to the IP of the local server seems to make the remote SAMBA server show up.

Side note: Is there any way for me to 'hide' the local SAMBA server - I am not really sharing anything on it.