Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IRC/Mail Hosting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IRC/Mail Hosting

I was looking at hosting an IRC channel with a max number of people being around 25. I also would like to host a simple webpage (HTML, CSS only 2-3 pages), and a webmail server to replace Gmail (light usage)

What would I need to host all of these things?

Comments

• 256-512MB OpenVZ VPS. You can't go wrong with 1GB VPS with some of the prices available.

A yearly option with a reputable provider would make it cost effective. By reputable provider, this means you did some research on who the company is and not just chasing the "best" deal with lowest price.

• You'd probably just need an IRCd (InspireIRCd for example), and nginx. I'm not too experienced on the topic of mail, but seems like you can get around it with iRedMail.

• Even 64-128mb would be fine if you don't need webmail.

• Steve81Steve81 Member
    edited March 2015

Depends on the software you choose.

If you use apache as webserver and a full featured IRCd, 1gb would probabily be necessary. Otherwise, if you use openlitespeed/cherooke/nginx as webserver and a lightweight IRCd (like ngIRCd), 512mb are probably more than enough.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member
    edited March 2015

Postfix and dovecot for mail

nginx for website

IRC server software

Can't imagine email+static website using much RAM at all (<<50MB). Idk about IRC server

//EDIT: Didn't read "web"mail. Use Squirrelmail for easy webmail over IMAP. You will also need PHP (but no MySQL I think)

• Hello... I see you have turned to the dark side....