Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Custom ISO on Kimsufi servers with XPEnology
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Custom ISO on Kimsufi servers with XPEnology

Hi Guys,

I have been reading the forum for a while now but this is my first post here.

After browsing through the Internet and LET, I found out that there is a possibility to install the software that comes with Synology NAS stations, named XPEnology. As a Synology user, I really like the software + packages that they provide, basically you would be able to run pretty much everything there (mail, torrent, DNS, media streaming, etc) out of the box. Plus the idea of

I have a Kimsufi KS2 box running and really fancy the idea of having a NAS-like server running in a datacenter, with 100 Mbps port, not NAT'ed access (unlike I have at home) and option to stream everything from there.

I have tried to follow the guidelines/tutorials on http://www.xpenology.nl/ to have it installed on a virtual machine (Proxmox) but after configuring everything, VNC doesn't go further than initial boot screen with XPEnology logo. I saw that there have been some tuts on mounting a custom ISO with Windows but I am not sure if it would work with this setup.

So, I wanted to check with you guys to see if anybody had a chance to run this software/bootloader on dedicated server? Perhaps anyone has some tips on that custom ISO mounting or getting around this issue.

Thanks a bunch in advance!

Thanked by 1pbgben

Comments

• seems like the site got dossed down by bot..?

• earlearl Member

Not sure why you are using VNC?

I have one running on proxmox.. you need a windows kvm on the same subnet as the xpenology so you can use synology assistant to install it to the VM.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

I may start offering this, looks good. Thanks for the share!

• @belinik I think that the owner of xpenology.com didn't pay for his hosting, at least that's what a suspension page says

@earl the tutorial suggested using VNC access from Proxmox but I can't even get past the boot screen. On my home laptop with VirtualBox everything was running in a matter of minutes.

As for the configuration later on, I was thinking to get a site to site VPN, so it would be visible from my laptop.

• @pbgben Glad that you like it. I would be happy to test drive it :)

• earlearl Member
    edited March 2015

Actually kimsufi 2 is the atom and atom's is not VT enabled so you can't create KVM VPS's..

You need to have a KVM VPS to install xpenology and windows..

You can try to create a KVM VPS with the atom by disabling KVM hardware Virtualization under the VM options and choosing processor type as core2duo under hardware.. you might get it to install but will be really slow or could crash and not work at all.. works better if your OS is 32 bit.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

I was thinking of different hardware, @heachhog pm me.

• I do it on attom server with virtualbox. you can find the tutorial on xpenology org website. it's a little bit slow because there's no VT. but it's working.

• wlambrechtswlambrechts Member
    edited June 2015

@scorpus said:
    I do it on attom server with virtualbox. you can find the tutorial on xpenology org website. it's a little bit slow because there's no VT. but it's working.

Indeed it is perfectly working on my two Atom servers at Kimsufi using VirtualBox and a 32 bit version of XPenology.

Do not forget to use iptables to forward the necessary ports from your host to your guest

• scorpusscorpus Member
    edited June 2015

what > @wlambrechts said:

Indeed it is perfectly working on my two Atom servers at Kimsufi using VirtualBox and a 32 bit version of XPenology. Do not forget to use iptables to forward the necessary ports from your host to your guest

what atom cpu are you using? i used the N2800 2c/4t i only got 700 Mhz for the virtual machine(no Vtx) . when downloading only one threath is used at 100%. i a got a small limitation in bandwidth (max 4 Mo/s and not 11Mo/s for 100Mbis/ server)
    I think with a Atom™ D2500 it's will be greater. because there are no threathing on it.

• scorpusscorpus Member
    edited June 2015

• wlambrechtswlambrechts Member
    edited June 2015

@scorpus said:
    what > wlambrechts said:

Both an N2800 and a D425. Both work. But indeed when working on the Xpenology server it takes 100% CPU of the server. So it is not fast, but really usable for backup, email, audio streaming, ...

• scorpusscorpus Member
    edited June 2015

@wlambrechts said:
    Both an N2800 and a D425. Both work. But indeed when working on the Xpenology server it takes 100% CPU of the server. So it is not fast, but really usable for backup, email, audio streaming, ...

I will try the Atom™ D2500 (2c/2t) i guess it will got better performance on it. the 2c/4t still jailed on 1t cpu

• kazukenkazuken Member
    edited June 2015

i am running xpenology on http://www.euserv.com/en/dedicated-server/misurfi-rootserver/v7/misurfi-lc10.php

with proxmox. that cpu j1800 supports virtualization.

you should be able to image the bootloader from the recovery system for kimsufi