Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shared 1Gbit connection (shared with upto 32 users, subject to fair use)?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Shared 1Gbit connection (shared with upto 32 users, subject to fair use)?

ChuckChuck Member
edited March 2015 in General

= 3.875 megabyte. What is the point of 1Gbit connection?

Why not just give customer a 50Mbit without the crap fair shared?

http://i62.tinypic.com/awsyl1.png

Comments

• Hopefully they are not all using it at the same time!

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited March 2015

Seriously? Why did you open this thread. Just in case you are being serious here:

If anything they were being transparent whoever that was, as 98.957% of hosts here oversell their gigabit connection as much or even more on their nodes. Fact is, not every user uses full bandwidth 24/7, if they did, none of these services would work and they defiantly wouldn't be <$7 per month. So all of these services make money by betting that most users won't be abusive to the network and they oversell their bandwidth (read: this is how they make money). Most try to be reasonable, though some hosts are not quite so.

Simply put, a (Low End) VPS is a shared resource, not a guaranteed one, so it should come as no surprise that the link is likely shared with many many other containers. If this isn't acceptable, get you own dedicated server with your own connection or find a company which sells dedicated resources (though this will likely not fit you budget).

Ohh and by the way, even if you buy a dedicated and it says 1 gigabit, 90% of the time they have about 15-20 servers w/gigabit sharing a single 10Gbit uplink, so you are not guaranteed full gigabit 24/7 either. The only case where this isn't true is if you are paying for your own direct commit, and most of those are billed with 95th percentile billing, not 'amounts of traffic' and are quite expensive.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Thanked by 2nielz marrco
  • ChuckChuck Member

^^. But but many people use VPS for Linux distros seedboxes. Which is 24/7 bandwidth.

• TheLinuxBug said: The only case where this isn't true is if you are paying for your own direct commit,

Even then it is usually shared at a larger scale per city - Sure, you can get a 10GE L3 port in some shitty city in Alabama, but if someone else buys a 10G circuit in the same city and your usage is sub 5GE L3 will not upgrade the backhaul to 40GE/100GE.... same applies in large metros, just with more total traffic.

Thanked by 1TheLinuxBug
  • @Chuck said:
    ^^. But but many people use VPS for Linux distros seedboxes. Which is 24/7 bandwidth.

Torrenting is (very) often not allowed, read the ToS.

• Here on a shared gigabit port, 100 ish containers and slightly abusive users overall bandwidth usage is 40Mbps constant use, some bursts to 600Mbps for a few mins.

I don't think shared gigabit is a problem unless everyone is running Tor, something with OVH's 250 or 500Mbps limit might be an issue though.

• @Chuck said:

Way to be a terrible neighbor. The whole point of bittorrent is a whole bunch of different people seeding so the speed is fast, not just you completely consuming a shared connection. Sure you can seed 24/7, but throttle it back to something reasonable like 10Mbps so you don't ruin it for everyone else who are paying the same money as you.

• said: What is the point of 1Gbit connection?

Why not just give customer a 50Mbit without the crap fair shared?

Because I want my website which is 20MB in total size will be loaded in 0.15s, not 3s.

• Forest Gump said it best.

• seems reasonable, isn't this why you usually get a "burstable" and "guaranteed" value of bandwidth. I'd rather have a reliable minimum than a pipe dream maximum.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

khuongcomputer said:

Because I want my website which is 20MB in total size will be loaded in 0.15s, not 3s.

If you website weights 20MB the problem is yours, not the server uplink. And people usually doesn't have 1 gigabit fiber anway nor live 100 miles away from the datacenter, unless you are using a CDN.