Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Los Angeles Windows VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Los Angeles Windows VPS

GreenVineGreenVine Member
edited September 2012 in Help

Hi,
I want a Los Angeles Windows VPS with the following configuration:
RAM: 512MB~1GB
Bandwidth: 500GB~1TB
Space: 30GB~50GB
Port Speed: 10Mbps~100Mbps
Price: $5~10

For operating system, I need Windows XP or Win 2003 available.

Many thanks.

Thanked by 1Wack

Comments

• Windows XP? o.o

• @SimpleNode said: Windows XP? o.o

I need this for backup server so I don't need Windows Server 2003/2008.

• laaevlaaev Member
    edited September 2012

@GreenVine said: I need Windows XP available

Microsoft prohibits the public selling and/or use of virtual machines (or any public facing servers for that matter) that use Microsoft Windows desktop-based operating systems, such as Windows XP.

• @FTN_Kevin said: Microsoft prohibits the public selling and/or use of virtual machines that use Microsoft Windows desktop-based operating systems, such as Windows XP.

Hmm...Okay, I accept Win 2003.

• @GreenVine said: Hmm...Okay, I accept Win 2003.

We can do this with Windows Server 2008 in Buffalo, NY.

Please see: http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/4271

However if you absolutely require Los Angeles - would a Linux VPS work? I noticed you mentioned this is for backup purposes, its definitely more efficient to run backup servers on Linux.

• Burstnet will fit your budget. Urpad has some offers too

Thanked by 1laaev
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

I want a Los Angeles Windows VPS with the following configuration

SonicVPS has some very affordable Windows VM's.

Windows 2003 is provided with a license. 2008 is available but you'd have to BYOL.

Francisco

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • fanfan Veteran
    edited September 2012

Windows Server 2003 should be just fine for you. I've been looking for such Windows VPS's for a while but I didn't find such configurations at an ideal price.

BTW, anyone offers Windows Server 2012? Just tried and it's significantly lighter than server 2008 r2.

• SonicVPS

• 256MB : $3.5/month
    • 512MB : $7/month

They're great :)

• Any other suggestions?

• klikliklikli Member
    edited September 2012

BurstNET :)
    EDIT: Whoops it had been mentioned already sorry.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

Ah crud ;( seems out of stock, would love to get my hands on one of these VPS

• BurstNet is a little bad...althought their price is the best.

• Submit a sales ticket if you want a VPS with us.

BuyVM are awesome - I believe they're releasing stock in 1 - 2 weeks, if they don't have any at the moment.

Burst: I'm not sure why, but they always cop a lot of slack from the customers on WHT. We did have a node or 2 with them as purely backup DNS at one stage and I didn't have any issues with them what so ever.

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep
  • @GreenVine said: RAM: 512MB~1GB

Go with BuyVM's KVM 1GB plan - do it now as there's only 1 left (at the time of writing this message)!

• @Francisco said: 2008 is available but you'd have to BYOL

Hmm... this is weird. Windows 2003/2008 DC edition carries the same price tag on the SPLA list.

• BuyVM's price is a little high...

• If KVM-512 can do $8 I will try.

@eLohkCalb said: Hmm... this is weird. Windows 2003/2008 DC edition carries the same price tag on the SPLA list.

Right, and we'd have to have both licensed against the node :) We sell so few 1G/2G per node that there isn't a real 'demand' for 2k8 anyways. No one in their right mind will try to run it on anything smaller unless they plan to abuse their page file.

I'm not seeing a reason to go license a 2k8 DC license for 'possibly' 5 people over the whole company.

Francisco

@GreenVine said: If KVM-512 can do $8 I will try.

We don't offer any discounts, sorry.

SonicVPS is within our racks if you're looking for the west coast. Their prices are a lot more in line with what you're after ($7/m for 512M)

Fran

• I have been confused when seeing requests / offers for LEBs with windows on them. Windows is much more resource intensive then linux is. Can someone explain what the purpose is for these?

Also how can a Windows VPS be viable for ~$7 a month? Doesn't licensing alone make it cost prohibitive?

• @kkasberg said: Can someone explain what the purpose is for these?

You might need Windows technology, e.g. ASP.NET, IIS, Sharepoint, SQL Server?

• eLohkCalbeLohkCalb Member
    edited September 2012

@Francisco said: we'd have to have both licensed against the node

If I remember correctly SPLA licenses do have downgrade rights, meaning to say if the node is licensed with Wndows 2012 DC edition, the VMs may run 2003, 2008 or 2012.

But yeah, I totally agree with you that those with the right mind wouldn't want to run 08 on a tiny VM.

• I need this WinVPS for FTP server(backup) and run Windows programs 24/7, so that's why I need Windows.