Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do providers refuse to cancel overdue invoices for terminated VPS's? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do providers refuse to cancel overdue invoices for terminated VPS's?

2»

Comments

• @AnthonySmith said:

There was a plugin I had for WHMCS 4.x that prevented customers from ordering a new service if they had an outstanding balance or moved the outstanding balance to the active service if the other was terminated, but that was 3 years ago and it never worked with 5.x really sorted this whole problem out though.

The active service was transferred from another client who was hosting a joint project (he is no longer involved in the project, so we had the service moved).

I have moved on. But if someone contributes interesting content to the conversation, then I will reply.

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited March 2015

One of the providers that im using requires you to truely request a termination of service, if you do not take this step then you'll be charged no matter what state your current VPS is in.. if you fail to terminate your service / pay open bills then this is your fault. I definitly can understand this and you should too.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2015

AnthonySmith said: It is what it is, deal with it, not a good reason to change hosts imo, you have already acknowledged you knew, you have done this before so I would say just deal with it, put it behind you and move on.

That doesn't make much sense to me. I think more in terms of "It is what it is with provider, so if you don't like it, then move somewhere else." (in the same way that I'd try to avoid provider who acts like asshole like that vultr guy)

• Also, if it were a contract.. they would have an obligation to provide the service for the entire month, right?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

perennate said: That doesn't make much sense to me. I think more in terms of "It is what it is with provider, so if you don't like it, then move somewhere else."

yeah I guess so, just for clarity I am not having a go at the OP frankly if they have done it before they should do it again, its setting unfair expectations, obviously if they had said last time "but if you do this again you will have to pay, review our cancellation policy" then that would be different.

I dunno just one of those host vs host vs customer vs customer vs options vs logic things that will never be resolved :)

Thanked by 2perennate pylode
    edited March 2015

Mark_R said: One of the providers that im using requires you to truely request a termination of service, if you do not take this step then you'll be charged no matter what state your current VPS is in.. if you fail to terminate your service / pay open bills then this is your fault. I definitly can understand this and you should too.

That's not the point. I wouldn't sign up for bullshit like efax.com where the support guy asks you twenty questions over twenty minutes in order to cancel account (see https://signalvnoise.com/posts/3711-canceling-efax). Obviously they have the right to do it, but customer has the right to use another provider.

Putting it another way, there's zero reason why he or she should have to "understand" why provider does it that way if he or she doesn't agree with that method. So even if you "definitly can understand this", why should other people have to?

edited March 2015

smooch1502 said: Also, if it were a contract.. they would have an obligation to provide the service for the entire month, right?

What do you mean by that? Terms of service protects both them and you (and if it doesn't protect you in the way that you like, such as by saying you'll be charged late fees, then you can as I said move to different provider with terms of service that fits your needs).

Edit: I mean, if terms of service says they can terminate your service if you do so and so, then they can terminate it (of course maybe subject to laws like FTC's "unfair and deceptive practices" in U.S. that I mentioned above).

• @perennate said:
    That's not the point. I wouldn't sign up for bullshit like efax.com where the support guy asks you twenty questions over twenty minutes in order to cancel account (see https://signalvnoise.com/posts/3711-canceling-efax). Obviously they have the right to do it, but customer has the right to use another provider.

wtf man? whats your point? people should pay for whatever they've used even if it wasnt on intend.

edited March 2015

Mark_R said: wtf man? whats your point? people should pay for whatever they've used even if it wasnt on intend.

I should ask you same question, considering OP already paid the invoice.

Edit: also, if I provide written notice to efax that I'm cancelling my account, even if I don't follow their cancellation procedure, I'm pretty sure they would have hard time showing in (U.S.) court that I still owe money for the time my account is active after I provide the notice. There's many ways of making customers "unintentionally" use service, and some of them are less legitimate than others to the point where they would not even be legal, certainly would be immoral, and in those cases I also wouldn't see why customer should morally have to pay for it (I assume "should" means morally in your quote above).

Edit2: I mean, this is irrelevant to the topic since fliphost.net wouldn't go after someone for not paying, they just maybe stop them from ordering new service. But I think it's relevant to your argument.

• @perennate said:
    I should ask you same question, considering OP already paid the invoice.

I mainly went off from the thread title which is "Do providers refuse to cancel overdue invoices for terminated VPS's?"

I assumed that @smooch1502 had open bills and got his services terminated before paying them.

• pylodepylode Member
    edited March 2015

http://fliphost.net/TermsofService.htm

Certain services carry a setup fee charged by FlipHost to client, which must be paid by client in order to have use of said services. If client terminates this agreement, client shall be responsible for any and all outstanding fees owed to FlipHost and agrees to pay any and all fees incurred by client. Because the services are provided on a monthly basis, the client will be responsible for service fees incurred each month, regardless of when client provides notice of termination. Thus, for example, if the client provides notice of termination on the 15th day of a particular month, the client will be responsible for service fees for the entire month, and such fees will not be pro-rated or refunded. In the event of any late payment (more than 2 days overdue) a 10% late fee may apply.

As I said, I paid the overdue invoice. Just not happy that they cancelled it before but wouldn't do so this time.

When cancelling a service with another, separate provider the cancellation request was refused unless I entered a "good enough" reason. I do not remember this provider's name though

@Mark_R said:

The invoice was issued last year. The VPS in question was suspended 2 days after the due date and terminated (according to fliphost) 2 weeks after.

• pylodepylode Member
    edited March 2015

@perennate said:
    Edit: I mean, if terms of service says they can terminate your service if you do so and so, then they can terminate it (of course maybe subject to laws like FTC's "unfair and deceptive practices" in U.S. that I mentioned above).

Terms of Service agreements are to protect the provider, not the client.

I am guessing most people won't pay an overdue invoice (like I did) and will just run off.
    FYI, I never "ran off". As I said before, they did cancel an invoice in the past so I figured they would do it again.

smooch1502 said: Terms of Service agreements are to protect the provider, not the client.

Not really, terms of service can protect the client if provider writes it like that, just like how service level agreement works (which I'm pretty sure has the same bearing as terms of service with respect to U.S. law).

• @perennate said:
    Not really, terms of service can protect the client if provider writes it like that, just like how service level agreement works (which I'm pretty sure has the same bearing as terms of service with respect to U.S. law).

If the provider writes it in that way, sure.

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@TheCTS said:
    I'm pretty sure Quadranet does this. I had one of their cloud VPS for a month or two, and canceled it a few days before the next invoice was due. They still send me a daily e-mail saying that I have an overdue invoice for like $5. It's been like 2 months.

Like most providers, we require 7 days advance notice.

• @dustinc said:
    Like most providers, we require 7 days advance notice.

I've never had a host that required 7 days notice. Just throwing that out there.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Just 2 days ago a customer with a suspended service opened a ticket to ask forgiveness but forgot to pay and nobody is at work over the weekend to pay so we extended it. Today new service ordered, paid and data moved to the new. It is people's way to get a week free every month. It is funny, we wont go around and punish anyone for it, it is a lot of work for a few cents, their business.
    We automatically cancel the invoice at termination so the customer cannot pay it and then ask where is the data. However, we never hold data hostage or another service terminated for failure to pay an old one, some people have tens of services terminated this way, I do tend to scrutinize them more in case they just use the IP for something illegal then drop it, but most are simply going after a few cents, which is their business, we dont count cents.