Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any reputable LEB provider like RamNode's $15/yr or $8/qr offer and allows private torrents in EU?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any reputable LEB provider like RamNode's $15/yr or $8/qr offer and allows private torrents in EU?

DevilDevil Member
edited March 2015 in Requests

I need a ~100-200GB small VPS that I will use as a low usage seedbox (I've had two threads regarding it - I sure as hell hope this is the last).

I see Ramnode offers 128MB/80GB/500GB for $15/yr and 256MB/120GB/1000GB for $32/yr.

Crissic does offer a better deal at $15/yr and gives 100GB/512MB/1000GB but they do not allow torrents and are quite explicit about it which is good.

Now I would have bought the RamNode's 80GB or 120GB disk boxes as they fit my need and budget just fine. But they have restrictions:

1. Torrents can only be used on VPS based in USA
  2. It has to be limited to 20Mbps

2nd is sth I can live with as my usage are going to be minimal (I just need to keep my private tracker a/c's alive and download a few torrents a week/month).

But 1st is sth which is very difficult because I would practically be not be able to download to my home PC (or upload from it) at decent speeds. I have tried many US servers from home and they all somehow give me pathetic pings, on the other hand servers in EU, esp. Netherlands, have historically been awesome. I raised a ticket regarding a possible exemption and a prompt response in negative came, so that's there :-)

I was just wondering if any known providers are gonna offer anything comparable in EU? I need to buy it in a day or two. My KS-2 is expiring soon and I won't renew that. (I need to keep it inside a low budget because it will be low usage and I want to keep it long term - that's exactly my need is).

PS. I have received an offer from BuyVM but that falls outside my budget; VPSDime doesn't have small boxes; @drserver had one to-good-to-to-be true 250GB/512MB/1TB deal for $15/yr once, but I guess it was an one time thing (no, I would bought it just for storage and not for torrenting as they don't allow p2p iirc), so @drserver if you have another server where RAM is finished and you want to put the disk to good use I am all ears. So I knew only about these three established LEB providers who allow P2P. Anything else out there? If I don't find anything I will half heartedly buy RamNode's box (I was at checkout today morning).

Also, no offence to anyone in general but if you feel like saying "it's like begigng for free VPS" like a jerk then please shut up and go home and try to wrap your head around the fact that I have started with an actual offer example.

Comments

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Do you know why they don't allow torrents at those ridiculous prices? Because it's not profitable. Overselling 100GB of storage for $15 is kinda ok, but letting you actually use it for I/O intensive tasks... no way. Same with the 2TB of bandwidth + free incoming Crissic sells.

Downloading from any private tracker worth anything means you saturating the gigabit port and doing 100 MB/s of random writes. No OVZ provider is going to consent this for $15/year and that's why RamNode limits you to 20 mbps (which is actually reasonable for the price).

I would get a KS-1 or a box at Online.

Thanked by 1sirmbhe
  • DevilDevil Member

@Nyr

that's why RamNode limits you to 20 mbps (which is actually reasonable for the price).

Yes, that's right.

I am aware of that and I am perfectly fine with that. My problem is location. RamNode doesn't allow this in USA.

Nyr said: I would get a KS-1 or a box at Online.

That's overkill for me. (note: I am on KS-2 right now and I am going to abandon it.)

Thanked by 1noaman

Devil said: RamNode doesn't allow this in USA.

They actually only allow this on the US, since that's where they have their IP space.

• radryradry Member

@Nyr said:

Downloading from any private tracker worth anything means you saturating the gigabit port and doing 100 MB/s of random writes. No OVZ provider is going to consent this for $15/year and that's why RamNode limits you to 20 mbps (which is actually reasonable for the price).

Just limit torrents to 100mbit/s and use more than 128MB as write cache (in ram), then it only writes 128mb about every 10 seconds. Every decent node should be able to handle that.

Thanked by 2deadbeef Devil

radry said: Just limit torrents to 100mbit/s and use more than 128MB as write cache (in ram), then it only writes 128mb about every 10 seconds. Every decent node should be able to handle that.

Not practical for a low end OVZ provider to enforce this kind of limits for every user, plus they don't want torrenters in the first place anyway.

• DevilDevil Member

Nyr said: They actually only allow this on the US, since that's where they have their IP space.

Sorry for the mistake. I wanted to type "They don't allow this anywhere but in USA". I've mentioned that in my post too.

• @Devil Try to find OVH-France based offers, there are a lot last times.

• DevilDevil Member

Anna_Parker said: there are a lot last times

You mean Kimsufi boxes or VPS providers who have their data centres on OVH servers?

• @Devil The VPS providers as your budget is as it is.

• DevilDevil Member

Anna_Parker said: The VPS providers as your budget is as it is.

How do I find VPS providers that sell OVH resources? (And I understand you suggest that because my budget is low and even OVH sells/rents resources at low prices)

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Nyr said: They actually only allow this on the US, since that's where they have their IP space.

It's actually not so much about the IP space as it is the bandwidth usage. We own some of the NL IPs directly. When we allowed torrents in an unrestricted manner, the NL usage was significantly higher than US. It was both unsustainable and disruptive.

Good luck in your search @Devil

Thanked by 1Nyr
  • DevilDevil Member

Nick_A said: When we allowed torrents in an unrestricted manner

Thanks Nick.

Actually you don't have to allow that in unrestricted manner. Just keep it like in the USA. 20Mbps max! Right? Anyway, I understand that it's your business and you know what the intricacies are and that it's not as simple as I am perceiving it. I wanted one, because I heard too many good things from LETers here.

(I think I have some similar options, I guess I'll take one of them).

• DevilDevil Member

Got a deal from @Patrick from INIZ. 256MB(128MB)/125GB/750GB/2Cores at NL.

Do I have to close the thread?

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@Devil said:
    Do I have to close the thread?

Nah, unless it gets out of hand or another offer is posted one year from now :)