Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OnlineLabs - When will be available?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OnlineLabs - When will be available?

Anyone knows or has any idea when will Online.Net Labs (or cloud) become available? I ask this out of curiosity, as it is for quite some time in beta and testing.

Comments

• cassacassa Member

@OnlineJulien

I also want to know some more about the pricing.

• howardsl2howardsl2 Member
    edited March 2015

Soon™

• If we would have an official and precise answer, it would be great. "Soon™" and "few weeks" answers are bad for business.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited March 2015

@default said:
    If we would have an official and precise answer, it would be great. "Soon™" and "few weeks" answers are bad for business.

Probably not too bad for business though since they don't lose anything if you cancel, given that it's currently a free service ;)

• Next year, or maybe at the end of the world

• creepcreep Member

Just talked with a staff and he said it will be available in July or August 2017 due to some technical issues and their expansion to other DCs.

• stenysteny Member
    edited March 2015

• Online.net is in a pissing game with OVH. So they will rush to bring this to market when OVH starts showing signs that they will bring their ARM offer to market. Or they will wait for OVH to be first, to undercut their prices.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2015

creep said: Just talked with a staff and he said it will be available in July or August 2017

This is b/s, unless you can provide direct quotes with names of the "staff" and/or screenshots of their replies.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • creepcreep Member

@rm_ said:
    This is b/s, unless you can provide direct quotes with names of the "staff" and/or screenshots of their replies.

sorry but I forgot to save my conversation with arnaud on IRC and i can't properly remember if its 2017 or 2018 but i believe its 2017. talked with him last week though.

creep said: Just talked with a staff

talked with him last week though.

So... "just" or "last week"?...

creep said: sorry but I forgot to save my conversation with arnaud on IRC and i can't properly remember if its 2017 or 2018 but i believe its 2017.

This has not happened in #onlinelabs or #online-en, people only repeatedly ask about launch ETA there without answers, and I somehow doubt the CEO personally would give out such information to a random stranger in PM.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @wych Unfortunately I have no information about the launch date.

Thanked by 1wych
  • Oh well, if staff does not know the launch date... then I will have to wait and see.

Thank you all very much for the replies so far.

• cassacassa Member

@bene_online said:
    wych Unfortunately I have no information about the launch date.

And anything about the pricing?

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited March 2015

creep said: sorry but I forgot to save my conversation with arnaud on IRC and i can't properly remember if its 2017 or 2018 but i believe its 2017

This is crap. It is impossible for them to prepare a whole infrastructure of certain type of servers (atoms etc.) to be launched in 2 and a half year (or more, if you consider that they already have deployed the infrastructure that is on beta stage and actual clients are currently using this). This is too long!
    The technological evolution in 2 and a half year from now will be different and today's infrastructure could be "old" in 2017 terms (or, even more, 2018...)

• default said: Oh well, if staff does not know the launch date...

It doesn't necessary mean that they don't know. If Online.net do not yet want to publicly reveal details about the launch date, then, you will get answers from staff like that.

Thanked by 1wych
  • vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

Maybe by 2018 they will have something that performs better, their current ARM instances are really slow compared to their competitors.

edited March 2015

vfuse said: their current ARM instances are really slow compared to their competitors.

Bwahaha, and name us a few competitors that even have ARM servers of any kind?
    Let alone deployed, configured and with real customers already testing them.

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

rm_ said: Bwahaha, and name us a few competitors that even have ARM servers of any kind?

Let alone deployed, configured and with real customers already testing them.

I meant compared to their competitors instances (both x86 and arm).

edited March 2015

vfuse said: I meant compared to their competitors instances (both x86 and arm).

Any performance comparison will only make sense when we'll know the price. But in any case, these aren't designed to beat a Xeon at single-core performance. As the website says, they are for horizontal scaling, i.e. for the kind of tasks which can be sped up by adding more cores or servers, even if each individual server isn't very fast by itself.

• @cassa said:
    OnlineJulien

I also want to know some more about the pricing.

I don't have any information about it for the moment.
    Just wait, it should be ready soon :)

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited March 2015

@hwdsl2 said:
    Soon™

I hate to say it, but it seems he was right the whole time. :)

• It seems soon became "very soon". Official release is going to be this week according to this tweet:

• Combine all the information so far with the message on Cloud Panel, and result: most likely this week Online Cloud will go live.

I will provide the message in Online Panel:

"Thank you!
    Hi cloud riders,

We want to thank you and all our early adopters, it has been amazing to see so many testers from all over the globe!
    It has been a huge success, imagine that during this preview you requested more than 200,000 servers!

Again, thank you, your help and tests has been so useful!
    Some big news are coming in a couple of days, stay tuned...

The Online Labs Team"

Thank you Online.Net for allowing me to test your service.