Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone have experience setting up an email provider platform? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone have experience setting up an email provider platform?

2»

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@raindog308 said:
    From what I have seen, antispam/antivirus chews CPU, though it's been a while since I've directly admin'd mail. Is that a big load on your server(s)?

Not at all, oddly enough. I guess we don't do enough volume overall for it to stand out on the hardware right now.

• @Jar said:
    You can get on feedback loops if you own your IPs, but then we're talking about colocating within a DDOS protected facility because, let's face it, if you mention it here it's going to get attacked. So, for me, DDOS protection and clean IP addresses have been two problems pulling me in opposite directions. You just have to put in the work and you don't take no for an answer. Be excessively nice where you can and where you can't, ruin their lunch break every day until they just say "Fine I'll stop blocking you."

And yea, DDoS protection is also something I haven't really considered. Will have to do some research on cost-effective solutions for this as well.

It might just be worth it for me to use a service like Mandrill then. With your numbers for an average day, you're only at ~150k sent/monthly which is ~$30/mo. It might be worth it if it means not having to fight with blacklists all day and worrying about bounced emails/ip reputation. I may run into problems with custom domains though... I'll have to look into this a bit more and see if I can find someone who can configure this type of thing :P

edited March 2015

I should also add a point of advice. One thing MXroute taught me well...

Free clients are the most demanding, open the most tickets, and get the most angry when they can't have everything they want in the way that they want it. Learn from that, I beg you. When I stopped offering free services and the angry ones eventually went away, life got a lot more peaceful for me.

• @Jar said:

Free clients are the most demanding, open the most tickets, and get the most angry when they can't have everything they want in the way that they want it. Learn from that, I beg you. When I stopped offering free services and the angry ones eventually went away, life got a lot more peaceful for me.

I know that from being a VPS provider. Most of my PITA clients are ones on a $3/monthly plan or something. I've had a acquired client who paid $0.50/mo for shared hosting (yes, paid monthly not annually) try to tell me that he's paying for my job or some bs... I just told him to leave.. haha. All that aside, I plan to run it like gmail/hotmail/yahoomail where there is basically no support for free users. If they don't like it, they don't have to use it. shrug

Thanked by 1jar
  • VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

@Jonchun said:
    It might just be worth it for me to use a service like Mandrill then. With your numbers for an average day, you're only at ~150k sent/monthly which is ~$30/mo. It might be worth it if it means not having to fight with blacklists all day and worrying about bounced emails/ip reputation. I may run into problems with custom domains though... I'll have to look into this a bit more and see if I can find someone who can configure this type of thing :P

I may be wrong but I think Mandrill is only for transaction-based email. They may get irritated with you if you're running a generic email service through them. Worth looking up.

• @liamwithers said:
    I may be wrong but I think Mandrill is only for transaction-based email. They may get irritated with you if you're running a generic email service through them. Worth looking up.

Ah yea. I think I may have been thinking SendGrid (which I believe they are okay with last time I checked) Mandrill might not be okay with it.

The more I think about it, the more likely it is that I'll probably have to setup my own sending servers.

• Iredmail is a good solution for inbound email combined with mandrillapp. You get all the nice features such as roundcube and a UI that is fairly simple to use. It is fairly easy to make all outgoing email go through Mandrill. How ever it all depends on how clean the IP Space is that you are using. I do find a couple of draw backs with Mandrill sometimes mail can be undelivered or be delayed.

• @Jar said:

^ This. +1000.

Generally, the higher you charge, the better clients treat you. The downside is it's harder to get clients, but once you cross that bridge...

Thanked by 1jar
  • shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

@Jar said:
    Jonchun Happy to help :)

1. Definitely different enough. You certainly wouldn't offend me being a clone though, I think competition is healthy. I do tend to aim for people who generally are tech minded enough that they could set up a Google Apps account for their domain. I have plenty of clients who could not, typically they are actually a client of my client.

2. I use SaneSecurity's ClamAV signatures in combination with SpamAssassin (some custom rules http://pastebin.com/G0c6hdsd )

3. I have 322 active clients, 889 domains hosted, I get an average of 3 tickets per day. The most common questions are policy clarifications and people reaching out for more features (most common request is more similarities to Exchange). Actual support requests are typically bounced e-mail investigations and questions about spam filters, but those might make 2-3 tickets a week.

Well your service is so damn good no tickets are needed! I don't use it right now but I've had it on and off and have always been satisfied.

Thanked by 1jar
  • Thanks for all the comments everyone. I'm looking into finding a freelancer on oDesk, but if anyone else here is interested in doing this, let me know!

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited March 2015

@Jonchun said: …The more I think about it, the more likely it is that I'll probably have to setup my own sending servers.

This really depends on your service expansion targets/assumptions, doesn't it? In the meantime, you may want to check out Sendy.co.

• AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited March 2015

gmail plus trick for disposable addresses:

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/12096?hl=en

FYI works with gapps too.

Together with filters you have all the features the OP is talking about.

• @Abdussamad said:
    gmail plus trick for disposable addresses:

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/12096?hl=en

FYI works with gapps too.

Together with filters you have all the features the OP is talking about.

This has already been mentioned and responded to previously in the thread.

• AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited March 2015

Jonchun said: This has already been mentioned and responded to previously in the thread.

I didn't notice because the thread is so long. The gapps support for that wasn't mentioned before though.

• @Abdussamad said:

GApps has also been mentioned multiple times in this thread.

• Jonchun said: GApps has also been mentioned multiple times in this thread.

gapps support for that plus thing. Where is that mentioned?

• @Abdussamad said:

You don't need the plus trick if you're using gapps... at that point you have a custom domain so why not just use gmail's catch-all... or use mxroute.

• Jonchun said:

You don't need the plus trick if you're using gapps... at that point you have a custom domain so why not just use gmail's catch-all... or use mxroute.

mxroute is paid. using the plus trick is easier on the go when you just need a quick address to sign up for something.

A catchall address is basically spam bait. Not recommended at all.

• @Abdussamad said:
    A catchall address is basically spam bait. Not recommended at all.

If you've read the thread, it's not as spam-bait as it used to be. If you've read the thread, the plus trick is nowhere near as aesthetically pleasing as a custom domain or just a straight up subdomain. To put it bluntly, everything you're bringing up has already been addressed above...

• Jonchun said: If you've read the thread, it's not as spam-bait as it used to be. If you've read the thread, the plus trick is nowhere near as aesthetically pleasing as a custom domain or just a straight up subdomain. To put it bluntly, everything you're bringing up has already been addressed above...

Maybe you should complain to the moderators? You seem very keen to shut me up.

BTW you are wrong about the catchall addresses:

Jar said:

Boy do they. Once you find yourself a victim of one of these attacks it only gets worse too. I've got many clients who have no idea that I fight off 400-500 spam e-mails per day purely on the fact that addresses like [email protected] fail because they have no catchall. It's only a dice roll between anyone with a catchall and this problem. Content filters are key there I suppose.

edited March 2015

@Abdussamad said:
    BTW you are wrong about the catchall addresses:

it does seem to be like a lottery though. Plenty don't see it, the problem is that once your number is up it doesn't stop. It's like there's a list somewhere and you never get removed from it.

• @Abdussamad said:

I'm not keen to shut you up. I'm just pointing out that your comments are causing baseless posts and overall contribute nothing. It would be nice if you simply read the previous posts so that we don't flood this thread.

@Jar

I don't have as much experience as you on the spam field, so I'm going to believe you for the time being :D