Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much does the domain extension matter to you?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How much does the domain extension matter to you?

jhjh Member
edited September 2012 in General

I'll be revamping my personal site and there's a domain I really want, but it's parked at Sedo without a price and the whois indicates it's a professional domain collector/holder. I am tempted to make an offer anyway, as it would be something of an investment as all of the common extensions are taken and parked. Then I saw that some of the more obscure extensions are available. How much do you think domain extension matters (when you're looking for sysadmin services)?

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2012

It matters quite a bit and I can't think of a single good reason beyond "That's just the way it is." I really hate those cyber squatters. Tried to charge me $5,000 for a church's website. They have like 10 members...yeah that's going to happen. They keep sending me fake domain renewal notices now.

Personally I wouldn't care about the domain extension from a community member, it's outsiders I'd fear would be turned off by it.

• Depends on what you want to do with that domain.
    If you want to make some big bucks with that, if you already know about how the marketing goes, I think domain extension is not an important thing even people basically know com/net/org if we mention something about internet.. Hehehe..

Am I in a wrong respond about the topics? :-/

• AsadAsad Member
    edited September 2012

Why do all white van drivers have .biz domains on their websites?

Thanked by 2jar Damian
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

For me it is completely indifferent, but any domain with a country in it seems OK besides the regular com net org.
    M

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2012

There are some absolute blacklist extensions for me, first of all .biz and .co, also maybe .su (even in Russia it doesn't have a great reputation). And probably .info will get looked down at, as "meh, some newbie hipsters". Other than that, TLD does not matter much.

• jhjh Member
    edited September 2012

@rm_ said: Other than that, TLD does not matter much.

What about if it's country-specific to an unrelated country?

The seller of the .co.uk extension for the domain I want has made a 'final offer' of £750 :/, 3x my 'final offer'

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited September 2012

@jhadley said: The seller of the .co.uk extension for the domain I want has made a 'final offer' of £750 :/, 3x my 'final offer'

Why not try .uk.com

Thanked by 1klikli
  • I've got vpsmanagement.co.uk if it interests you :)

• @MrLabradoodle said: Why not try .uk.com

It's available but it's longer and a little uncommon.

@GetKVM_Ash said: I've got vpsmanagement.co.uk if it interests you :

Thanks Ash, I really want this one if I can get it though. Just submitted a higher offer which my wife cannot find out about haha

• PM'd you the domain. Let me know what you think!

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited September 2012

@liam said: I think we've always been cheated, I always wanted a english domain like domain.en but we have boring old 'co.uk'.

http://www.doteng.org/

Although it would probably cause confusion with English.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited September 2012

@MrLabradoodle said: Why not try .uk.com

uk.com is not real TLD but privately owned subdomain and just like it happened with alternative (sub)domain names already this one can dissapear too if owner going under.

Thanked by 2klikli rm_
  • @jhadley said: Thanks Ash, I really want this one if I can get it though. Just submitted a higher offer which my wife cannot find out about haha

Yep no worries, just putting it out there since its sat doing nothing. And haha im with you on that one, at least its a domain and nothing too questionable :P

• There is high PR domain with the .info. prchecker.info :D

• jhjh Member
    edited September 2012

Just got the domain I wanted, at an extortionate price, but nonetheless I am the proud owner of sysadmin.co.uk :D

• @jhadley said: Just got the domain I wanted, at an extortionate price, but nonetheless I am the proud owner of sysadmin.co.uk :D

Good domain. How much? PM me if you like, im interested :P

• @GetKVM_Ash said: Good domain. How much? PM me if you like, im interested :P

PM sent

• If it is a personal domain try .me or .co ? Personally I love .me and .co but other people seem to frown upon .co for some reason.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@jhadley you avatar gives me the creeps. Is like the pictures ppl put on ceramic plate on marble crosses in the cemetery here...
    M

• @Maounique said: you avatar gives me the creeps. Is like the pictures ppl put on ceramic plate on marble crosses in the cemetery here...

M

LOL WTF?

• Gotta agree with M. ;-)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Mao is referring to some ethnicities' tradition of putting photos etched into black marble on gravestones. Popular among Slavic and other cultures. Wouldn't have occurred to me but I can sort of see it.

Anyway, get a .kp domain.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@Maounique said: Not only slavic or orthodox.

Yep, they are very common in Italy.

• @Corey said: Personally I love .me and .co but other people seem to frown upon .co for some reason.

Because it makes it look like you typo'd on the domain name.

• That and it's actually the TLD of Columbia, regardless of what Enom wants you to think.

Thanked by 1Liam