Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SSD VPS Hosting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SSD VPS Hosting

SimpleNodeSimpleNode Member
edited September 2012 in General

We've been looking into offering SSD VPS hosting for a while, but we haven't decided on anything yet.
What are your opinions on what we should offer, especially in terms of price and disk space?

I've been looking around for providers, and we're probably going to go with the following configuration for our first SSD node, which will be used more as a trial to see how many people actually want these services;

E3-1230
16GB RAM
4x 128GB Samsung SSDs in Software RAID10
1 Gigabit port

We're going to be using Xen on these nodes (or OpenVZ, however most people seem to prefer Xen).

Comments

• That config looks about right to me.

• I think KVM tends to be more popular than Xen here. At least recently.

• @concerto49 said: I think KVM tends to be more popular than Xen here. At least recently.

Apparently Xen gets better I/O than KVM? Not too sure...

• @SimpleNode said: Apparently Xen gets better I/O than KVM? Not too sure...

Depends who's setting it up.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Xen-PV should get better IO but not by a large margin IF KVM uses virtio drivers. If not, the difference is noticeable, unless you have tons of cpu to spare and it will still be slower than with virtio.
    In case of SSD the difference will be even bigger because SSD is fast and CPU will matter for fast io.
    As an example, Prometeus has always low to non-existent stock for Xen while KVM never run out, in spite of KVM Biz having SSD and Xen regular SAS2.
    That is because more and more providers retire Xen and it is still popular, at least for the business sector.
    For the masses, KVM has more hype, I think for LET/LEB offers you might be better with it, especially since many get it to install windows in the 128 MB plans.
    M

• @SimpleNode said: Software RAID10

You sure, man?
    Is that not even fake RAID?

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@klikli said: You sure, man?

Is that not even fake RAID?

Most of the times software raid is better than onboard raid, if this is waht you meant. I have actually seen really shitty RAID cards offered with some servers, even at that case software raid might be better.

Thanked by 1Taz
  • @Alex_LiquidHost said: onboard raid,

If HD crashes, good luck replacing them with a different model/size/type.

Thanked by 1AlexBarakov

@Taz_NinjaHawk said: If HD crashes, good luck replacing them with a different model/size/type.

I like your signature.

Thanked by 1Taz
  • @Taz_NinjaHawk said: good luck replacing

I see @Alex_LiquidHost saying mdadm, not an issue replacing

• @miTgiB said: I see @Alex_LiquidHost saying mdadm, not an issue replacing

Boss, I meant Raid based on Mother(fudging)board :P

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Sadly, no support for SSD in raidz...
    M

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Don't go with software RAID. Load that bad boy up with more SSD space, more RAM, and hardware RAID.

• @Taz_NinjaHawk said: If HD crashes, good luck replacing them with a different model/size/type.

http://kb.lsi.com/KnowledgebaseArticle15095.aspx

It's possible, depending on the RAID used you don't even need to contact LSI/3ware.

• SimpleNodeSimpleNode Member
    edited September 2012

This would be our first SSD node, and I want to keep it small (hence the low RAM, SSD space etc.) and not spend too much money on it.

Anyways, I'll contact them to see how much extra it is for a Hardware RAID card.

@Jack said: Hardware 9/10 - Setup with faulty raid CARD.

That's for yourself only.

So far I have:
    Swaped 4 hard drives before even starting using them
    Swaped RAID card, same time
    Swaped chasis
    Swaped CPU a little after that
    A week ago, failed RAID controller, that they replaced

I have bad luck, don't I ? :D

@Jack said: No they just use shitty hardware :P

What IO are you getting now from a DD test? Mine isn't as good as I would like it to be...

On an empty node it was getting up to 170-180MB/s after a bunch of tuning of the RAID array itself. The server got rebuilt atlaest 6-7 times before I put it into production.

Now with the KVM's on it, around 100MB/s, sometimes goes up to 140, however so far I hadn't seen it drop bellow 100, atleast for now.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@SimpleNode said: This would be our first SSD node, and I want to keep it small (hence the low RAM, SSD space etc.) and not spend too much money on it.

Then what will you be promoting about it to potential clients? SW RAID will not give you the best benchmarks, although it's plenty for most usages.