Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whois Query API/Provider, anyone know any services that provide whois querying?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Whois Query API/Provider, anyone know any services that provide whois querying?

Hey Guys,

Im looking for a provider that has an API that i can use to query Whois details for domains, parsed or unparsed. I probably need a large monthly allowance. Implemented my own, but not really that practical due to whois server limits (some TLD servers have a very small daily/hourly limit).

Does anyone know a cheap provider with an API? Happy to pay (cheaper the better), just need it to support as many TLDs as possible, specially since all the new ones coming out.

Cheers.

Comments

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

apt-get install whois

whois example.org

?

• decaydecay Member

4n0nx said: apt-get install whois

whois example.org

?

Yes, but this also has a limits, limits are per IP, so if you have a lot of IP addresses, then suppose you could use it or something similar. However, this gives the raw whois, would be much nicer if it can be parsed also, but that requires a whole lot of additional coding (specific to every TLD/Server). Thats why im looking for an api of sorts, so the API provider can focus on adding support for TLDs and Parsing, while i focus on what i do :)

• Have a look at phpwhois for parsing. They have TLD specific parsers but some generic wrappers that can accommodate most WHOIS layouts.

If you're looking for something that isn't real-time I may be able to help you out.

• decaydecay Member

ricardo said: Have a look at phpwhois for parsing. They have TLD specific parsers but some generic wrappers that can accommodate most WHOIS layouts.

yup, its a great script, not the best coding structure, but nice nonetheless. Unfortunatly i dont think it supports all the new TLDs (like, ninja, science, hotel etc etc).

• @ricardo said:
    Have a look at phpwhois for parsing. They have TLD specific parsers but some generic wrappers that can accommodate most WHOIS layouts.

If you're looking for something that isn't real-time I may be able to help you out.

I'm interested in your second statement. Did you mean cached results? Or...

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

What exactly is your purpose of use ?

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited March 2015

Jonchun said: I'm interested in your second statement. Did you mean cached results? Or...

Yes. I do WHOIS checks to look for interesting expired domains, or soon to expire ones. If you want real time checks you'll need to use the appropriate WHOIS server. I believe there are some bulk WHOIS services available, but they cost a fair bit.

Basically if you're going to do a bunch of searching you'll need to familiarise yourself with the IP rate limits, and have something custom for parsing the results.

Most registrars can give you a simple yes/no to a domain being available for the TLDs they support via their APIs, but they tend to have something in their ToS about making excessive requests of this kind.

• Get a reseller account at a domain registrar. Registrar's offer free API access to their resellers.

• decaydecay Member

Abdussamad said: Get a reseller account at a domain registrar. Registrar's offer free API access to their resellers.

You have any experience in this? Any specific registrar?

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

https://www.whoisxmlapi.com/whois-api.php works great, first 500 queries are free, after that it's a bit pricy but the structure and details in the response are great.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • decaydecay Member

vfuse said: https://www.whoisxmlapi.com/whois-api.php works great, first 500 queries are free, after that it's a bit pricy but the structure and details in the response are great.

Yeah thats one of my options. Just looking for some alternatives, something cheaper if possible.

• AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited March 2015

decay said: You have any experience in this? Any specific registrar?

Yes I do (well not bulk queries but coding wise). Any reseller will do. enom, resellerclub, resell.biz, internetbs, wildwestdomains (godaddy sister co.) etc. They all offer APIs along with code in php and other languages so you can quickly get up and running.

They have limits though but it's much more than public access servers.

• decaydecay Member

Speaking of my own Whois parser, does anyone here in LET offer cheap proxies?

Given the small whois limits on some servers, might need to have a lot of proxies. Any good place to grab some cheap proxies?

• tommytommy Member

decay said: Speaking of my own Whois parser, does anyone here in LET offer cheap proxies?

Given the small whois limits on some servers, might need to have a lot of proxies. Any good place to grab some cheap proxies?

use multiple server from Lowendspirit

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • aglodekaglodek Member
    edited March 2015

@tommy said: use multiple server from Lowendspirit

Provided no other clients are doing whois lookups from the one common ipv4 ;)

What are the limits imposed by registrars on whois queries from each IP address anyway? Are they limiting queries on hourly basis or what?

• i'd use IPv6, obtain a /48 netblock via HE or another tunnelbroker (or even native from your ISP) and shuffle the /64s used.

• decaydecay Member

aglodek said: What are the limits imposed by registrars on whois queries from each IP address anyway? Are they limiting queries on hourly basis or what?

Some are really silly. Dont quote me on this, but from random tests, i have noticed my ip getting temp blocks with the .nz server (whois server for nz domains), if i make 2 queries at the same time, or do about 5 queries within couple of minutes (ban only lasts like 10 mins, so not biggie, but still annoying).

tommy said: use multiple server from Lowendspirit

Cool idea. Is there anyone giving similar offers with dedicated ipv4? Im not sure if you can do whois queries with ipv6. I recall reading this somewhere that they do not have ipv6 support.

Im curious, can you actually get a server that only has IPV6 addresses? If so, im guessing you can ssh in using something like putty with the ipv6 address. If so, when you do a whois query in unix "whois example.com" what does the whois server See as your IP address? the ipv6?

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • @decay said: Cool idea. Is there anyone giving similar offers with dedicated ipv4?

Yep, XVM Labs, where VM's come bundled with up to 7 ipv4's. Perfect for this! Currently out of stock, but they add new stock every so often…

• use tor

• @decay said:
    Im curious, can you actually get a server that only has IPV6 addresses?

I'm sure any hoster will be glad to sell you a vps without IPv4, that's the easy part. The problem is if the whois server are exposed on IPv6, which is probably doubtful.

• decaydecay Member

aglodek said: Yep, XVM Labs, where VM's come bundled with up to 7 ipv4's. Perfect for this! Currently out of stock, but they add new stock every so often…

Any other solutions? no way to contact them either. Not very practical for me to keep refreshing that page every morning =/