Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

no SSL on lowendtalk.com?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

no SSL on lowendtalk.com?

https://lowendtalk.com/ just says "connecting..." for me.

While not strictly required, spdy, http 2, google ranking etc

Comments

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited March 2015

That's because the state of the art LET cluster is too powerful to handle SSL

Thanked by 3Rapta Cakey agentmishra
  • It appears to be no priority to LET/ColoCrossing, there were many requests in the past yet we still are here without SSL secured connection.

Thanked by 2VikingLayer mikho
  • @Patrick said:
    That's because the state of the art LET cluster is too powerful to handle SSL

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

SSL cert cost would wipe out ColoCrossing profits for the year.

• RaptaRapta Member

LET is too premium for SSL.

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited March 2015

SSL is for sissies and end users. We need a custom protocol made of our own cryptography primitives.

• What is so sensitive on LET that you must connect to it securely?

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • @nexmark said:
    What is so sensitive on LET that you must connect to it securely?

Passwords

Thanked by 2namhuy Pwner
  • @VikingLayer said:
    Passwords

Is your password your SSN, Bank Pin, and or Root Password or something really that needs to be kept private?

If not, don't worry..

• ATHKATHK Member

@VikingLayer said:
    Passwords

Anyone that uses the same password on more than one site should just put a gun to their head and pull the trigger now..

Thanked by 2nexmark iKeyZ
  • @ATHK said:
    Anyone that uses the same password on more than one site should just put a gun to their head and pull the trigger now..

Wait, you need a different password for all those VPSs too? :o

• ATHKATHK Member

@deadbeef said:
    Wait, you need a different password for all those VPSs too? :o

Pretty stupid to use passwords on a VPS mate..

• @ATHK said:
    Pretty stupid to use passwords on a VPS mate..

Empty root pws ftw!

• ATHKATHK Member

@deadbeef said:

One wouldn't even allow root access.....

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Actually, LET is fully encrypted. You just think this site is about VPS hosting.

If you were to learn the protocol and key, you would see what we're talking about is far, far different.

• @deadbeef said:

OMG you use root account on your VPSs?

• raindog308 said: Actually, LET is fully encrypted. You just think this site is about VPS hosting.

If you were to learn the protocol and key, you would see what we're talking about is far, far different.

The entire forum is just a clue for 6 across in the Sunday Times.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • @comXyz said:

Too bored to set up a t00r account :)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

nexmark said: What is so sensitive on LET that you must connect to it securely?

It's not only a question of secrecy, some (crappy) ISPs also now inject their own code for tracking and advertising into all non-encrypted HTTP sites. Only HTTPS allows you to get the websites' content the way their authors intended, without any "added value" by your ISP.

Thanked by 3Makenai Ndha Quinten
  • Chuck Norris doesn't use SSL. And so does LET.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

nexmark said: Is your password your SSN, Bank Pin, and or Root Password or something really that needs to be kept private?

If not, don't worry..

Yet still I would prefer to have it secured during transmission. You never know who's listening and I would prefer my identify here to not be compromised.

• To prevent MITM, who knows what or who is in between of your connection to these http traffic?

• Yes, but perhaps the MITM needs a hobby if he's interested in your public postings on a forum. Your password should be different to anywhere else, and private mail here... well who's to say that any admins here don't have access to it. Not implying anything by that, just my subjective opinion.

So there's the potential for your account to be compromised or your session hijacked... though I haven't seen a thread about it.

There has been longish threads on the subject in the near past.