Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can anybody with a GoodHosting VPS run the dd command using their Debian image?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can anybody with a GoodHosting VPS run the dd command using their Debian image?

KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Since I got the VPS I have been unsuccessful in running the dd command on their Debian image for some reason. I've been trying to make a swap file with it but whenever I run it, the whole VPS locks up and the only solution is to power it off and power it back on. I even let the command run for a few hours to see if the IO was just slow but no luck. It doesn't matter if I try to make a 10MB file or a 1GB file the result is the same and power cycling it is required if I want to use it again. I'm curious if this is just me or maybe something wrong with their node.

And before anybody asks if I opened a ticket, you don't have a GoodHosting VPS do you? :P

Comments

• What region are you in?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

0xdragon said: What region are you in?

My VPS is in their Chicago location.

• Any luck with fallocate?

jemaltz said: Any luck with fallocate?

No clue. I'm rebuilding the VPS because now running apt-get install breaks the VPS. It looks like any IO process above idle hoses up the VPS, I'm guessing the node is overloaded or hardware is failing.

Looks like this was resolved. Yay!

• ATHKATHK Member

@KuJoe said:
    Looks like this was resolved. Yay!

You get a response from them at all?

ATHK said: You get a response from them at all?

Negative. Either it resolved itself or they don't want credit for fixing it. It seems like the VPS is more responsive today and actually usable. Not once have I had to power cycle it or re-install the OS. :)

• Seems like they are silently reading your post here

Thanked by 1netomx

NanoG6 said: Seems like they are silently reading your post here

I believe they are. My problems are getting fixed though so I won't complain that my tickets go unanswered. :)