Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Small Doubt regarding VPN
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Small Doubt regarding VPN

varwwwvarwww Member
edited March 2015 in General

Let's say I buy a VPS from provider ABC. If I set up a PPTP VPN with OpenDNS or SSH tunnel with OpenDNS and use it, will the provider ABC have access to the sites and traffic I visit?

I know that the sites I visit will have the logs of the VPS IP accessing the website but I want to know if the VPS Provider would be having it as well?

Comments

• Of course, the provider can know to which IP addresses you are connecting.

Thanked by 1varwww
  • varwwwvarwww Member
    edited March 2015

@rds100 said:
    Of course, the provider can know to which IP addresses you are connecting.

So, its possible for the VPS providers to build profiles of its customers based on the sites they visit via the VPS network? Can you give some sample data on how this traffic looks like on the providers side?

• @varwww while it might be possible, why would anyone care to do this? It's a lot of work for no benefit?

• @rds100 Could be used for data mining and advertising or it could be sold to third parties. I was just worried as a VPS customer. Anyway thanks for clearing the doubt.

• KupolKupol Member

I recommend you to disconnect from the internet, if you are worried.

Thanked by 2varwww alexvolk
  • @Kupol said:
    I recommend you to disconnect from the internet, if you are worried.

Ya, I was planning to leave all my belongings and meditate under a tree on a mountain.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

PPTP is not considered secure anymore.

You can disable logs on a dedicated server, but the data center could potentially log all connections.

Thanked by 1varwww
  • NomadNomad Member

@varwww,
    If not the VPS provider, the Datacenter or ISP's can do that as well.
    If you start being paranoid, there's no end to it.

• @4n0nx said:
    You can disable logs on a dedicated server, but the data center could potentially log all connections.

Yes i think the data center needs to follow some laws "time" about keeping logs.

• Pretty much everyone along the traffic chain can log your traffic coming from the previous chain in the network.
    E.g. as someone above you said - if your VPS provider is not logging, the data center may be logging, or if they are not - their upstream provider may be.