Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can I use SSL certs from different CAs on same domain (and subdomains) combinations
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can I use SSL certs from different CAs on same domain (and subdomains) combinations

A preliminary google scan wasn't helpful.
So, thought I'd throw in a quick query here to the community.

I have the following :

1) Issued Wildcard SSL certificate from CA1

2) FREE PositiveSSL certifcate offer from CA2(to be redeemed)

I have already issued the Wildcard one for 'example.com'.

Idea is to use the wildcard one to power SSL-enabled cdn.example.com running on variety of low-end servers around the globe.

But since some of these are from untrustworthy countries/technologies (eg. openvz), I want to mitigate the risk of SSL Private key extraction via any CDN node.

Can I still issue the PositiveSSL from CA2 for example.com to power the dynamic parts of the site (not relying on CDN for assets). This would run on the more trustworthy KVM/Xen operators.

Is there Internet regulation preventing any of this from being allowed?

Is my risk model for Static assets mentally sound?

Comments

• tommytommy Member

no problem :D
    on my test bed I've using :

domain.com wildcard SSL
    blog.domain.com wildcard SSL
    git.domain.com positivessl SSL
    delog.domain.com startcomssl

• Yes you can.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2015

said: Is my risk model for Static assets mentally sound?

Um, not really, if your wildcard certificate is leaked then attacker can spoof your website. Of course attacker wouldn't be able to decrypt communication between clients and example.com, but MITM attack still is probably concerning since you're worried about security.

So you should probably get a separate domain name for the static content (that also protects against cookie stealing, session fixation, and many other attacks).

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @perennate said:
    So you should probablyn get a separate domain name for the static content (that also protects against cookie stealing, session fixation, and many other attacks).

Yes, this is one of the options I'm researching. Reading up on CORS before commenting further.

Thanks.

• How about issuing the wildcard with passphrase? Any Ansible/automation like solutions for passphrase entry.